True Hawaiian Yellow tangs for sale !!

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are pictures of the 2" from Biota Yelleo Tang I received as week ago for comparison.
IMG_3284.jpeg
IMG_3296.jpeg
IMG_3294.jpeg
IMG_3293.jpeg
Still doesn’t come close to color of a real Hawaiian tang sorry to say the colors just completely off… I’m waiting and praying I can buy a real one soon

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This doesn’t look like a true yellow tang imo….the captive bred ones are a weird yellow and thus looks just like that …nobody can change my mind these don’t come close I’ve had real yellows my whole life and I’m praying one day I can find a real one for sale ….sadly I moved gave my last one away to a friend thinking I’d just buy another lol man was I wrong

Photograph vs seeing in person. I'd wager you couldn't tell the difference seeing similar size in the same display. But to each our own for sure.

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photograph vs seeing in person. I'd wager you couldn't tell the difference seeing similar size in the same display. But to each our own for sure.
No I can see lol I’ve been dealing with yellow tangs my whole life there’s a difference I think it’s the whole captive bred thing that makes people feel better ….true is the yellow is never as vibrant and I’ve seen plenty and they always have this like sick weak look which I have seen some grow out of as they get older…but yeah no not even close to the same lol does anyone know where are any real ones ?! I thought ban was lifted? Edited: don’t get me wrong it’s still a pretty fish but I’m waiting on a real one then I’ll give my convict tang to my buddy till then no captive bred for me

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I can see lol I’ve been dealing with yellow tangs my whole life there’s a difference I think it’s the whole captive bred thing that makes people feel better ….true is the yellow is never as vibrant and I’ve seen plenty and they always have this like sick weak look which I have seen some grow out of as they get older…but yeah no not even close to the same lol does anyone know where are any real ones ?! I thought ban was lifted? Edited: don’t get me wrong it’s still a pretty fish but I’m waiting on a real one then I’ll give my convict tang to my buddy till then no captive bred for me

We can disagree which is fine and I do respect your opinion. With regards to feel better I don't see it that way at all but again we can disagree. To be honest I may be a bit biased since most of my fish are captive bred be it a yellow assessor or the pink square anthias or the milletseed butterflyfish. The color comes from a healthy diet and quality food. Just my opinion as I'm no marine biologist nor do I have any side by side studies to show.

Maybe some restrictions are due to feel good policies. I don't know and I stay out of that lane. I just don't see most bans as the end of the world and the hobby continues to beat to its drum. Maybe some price concerns. Maybe some loss of selection. But here we are.

With regards to the ban being lifted I have no idea. Hope your evening going well.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are Indeed Hawaiian Yellow - Not sure how or where but at $260 - I wouldnt complain

The Fish Bowl by Sound Aquatics
The Fish Bowl by Sound Aquatics​
Yes, you read that correctly...
Hello everyone, this is a special week at Fish Bowl. I have the pleasure of offering a limited amount of Hawaiian Yellow Tangs (Zebrasome flavescens). They are around 2" each and their color is nice. They're $260 each. See below for a picture of one!
IIWVIdBWlRYKNcTx2Jtq4DQfo_kFzOgG_ohUOu5DUYsXnZPWD5076QOKfIukvg8z-k1u3d8bAhe3jVs5NkOd5Y-WbAdPZP7wR5Zd9y6RNnQLMjFgKWXVeB8mSXmGJwpFhvl6JaGKXIwfgHt9K9mS7NEbAe8cLLkb8DyNSwzAFxOLwBVGIrRK=s0-d-e1-ft

Ive purchased from them before ( They bought Salgado Aquatic New York Store !)​
That picture says Biota all over it. Look at the white area around the eyes. Us old f@rts that remember wild caught yellow tangs from decades and decades ago never saw the white area around the eyes on a freshly imported yellow tang of any size.
PS I own a Biota yellow tang, it has the white area around the eyes. I also know what everyone thinks it is(HLLE). I could go on.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That picture says Biota all over it. Look at the white area around the eyes. Us old f@rts that remember wild caught yellow tangs from decades and decades ago never saw the white area around the eyes on a freshly imported yellow tang of any size.
PS I own a Biota yellow tang, it has the white area around the eyes. I also know what everyone thinks it is(HLLE). I could go on.
This has been long determined and I happen to have 6 true Hawaiians

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This doesn’t look like a true yellow tang imo….the captive bred ones are a weird yellow and thus looks just like that …nobody can change my mind these don’t come close I’ve had real yellows my whole life and I’m praying one day I can find a real one for sale ….sadly I moved gave my last one away to a friend thinking I’d just buy another lol man was I wrong
The reason I said "do you think they may be from other areas aside from Hawaii" is because we have them in BKK... definitely not captive bred here for yellow tangs

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Presumably you'd be able to have a vividly colored, healthy captive tang with proper diet. Almost all fishes show improved coloration when their diet is optimal.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I had a yellow tang 25 years ago when I had my first salt tank (I’m guessing $20 bucks). God, those poor fish back in the day. Tap water, mixing the salt in the tank as you sport a swing arm with more bubbles propping that high tech gauge’s arm as far north as buoyancy would take it… Talk about evolution… My tanks now have toilet paper (roller) and a Urinal (an actual working skimmer that doesn’t stretch to the second floor). Well, I can rest at ease that there would not be one sole who would walk in my house and pull out a Benjamin Moore color swatch and claim that a tangs color is off. Hell, I struggle to remember what I ate last night, let alone what the tang that I must have been torturing 25 years ago looked like. I’ll order a biota one day and make up the travesties I committed in a former life time to the species.

Your Friend,
A Future Yellow Tang Whisperer

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 67 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back