Trumpet Coral Help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

emilyruthwinsor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a trumpet frag from my lfs in December and placed it away from my pump and in the sand bed so that it receives less lighting. My Alk, Calc, Mag, PH and Nitrite levels are all optimum based on sea level as recommended by my lfs but it appears that the coral is shrinking and loosing flesh, any ideas on how I can help it?

975E97ED-721F-4114-87C3-3846A0FB2193.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what "less lighting" means, but if all parameters are 'optimum' as you say, then I would try to move it into stronger light

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iooks like they need to have some food in the water column.

hcker99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
List all of your parameters and tank details. That's the only way to really start troubleshooting.

Superd513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to move mine higher. But they went crazy over reef roids
1st pic is before I fed then after. Sorry about the blue light. I need to get the pic app
I have some other issues going on too. My ph dropped from 8.2 to 7.8 overnight after feeding for some reason. I did a water change next day but ph stayed same. Made no sense. I think it’s my LFS where I buy my water from. But most of my stuff looks ok

870F84F8-67B6-455F-B648-207FB64C29A8.jpeg
A8C9F892-DB13-4879-A923-F2A0B611807B.jpeg
DD76FF82-E6A7-4893-97A7-2A445DC4D25C.jpeg
CA0CF0B4-A23F-4F26-9006-24D057087325.jpeg

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be discouraged it sounds like you're doing everything right.
You're on top of your parameters and providing appropriate placements at the bottom.
Trumpet corals prefer moderate flow, if there's not enough they may not be able to capture food and nutrients.
They are photosynthetic, but also benefit from direct feeding small bits of meaty foods like brine/mysis shrimp.
Turn off pumps so they have a chance to capture food.
You placed your coral in low lighting, it could still be getting too much light maybe. Trumpets prefer low levels of light and are sensitive to high levels of light. You could shade it with some aquascape or a frag or lower light intensity.
Make sure you're doing your regular water changes just incase maybe there is something odd or foreign in the water it eventually gets removed. Test for Ammonia and phosphate levels because they can affect coral health.
If you've tried everything there is to try, keep an eye on it, check for signs of pests, disease, white spots, tissue loss or unusual growths. If you notice anything like that it's probably best to isolate the coral.

Superd513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be discouraged it sounds like you're doing everything right.
You're on top of your parameters and providing appropriate placements at the bottom.
Trumpet corals prefer moderate flow, if there's not enough they may not be able to capture food and nutrients.
They are photosynthetic, but also benefit from direct feeding small bits of meaty foods like brine/mysis shrimp.
Turn off pumps so they have a chance to capture food.
You placed your coral in low lighting, it could still be getting too much light maybe. Trumpets prefer low levels of light and are sensitive to high levels of light. You could shade it with some aquascape or a frag or lower light intensity.
Make sure you're doing your regular water changes just incase maybe there is something odd or foreign in the water it eventually gets removed. Test for Ammonia and phosphate levels because they can affect coral health.
If you've tried everything there is to try, keep an eye on it, check for signs of pests, disease, white spots, tissue loss or unusual growths. If you notice anything like that it's probably best to isolate the coral.
I think my next investment will be a protein skimmer with a co2 scrubber attached. That should help my p.h. Plus I’m going to use my own salt mix instead of buying LFS

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my next investment will be a protein skimmer with a co2 scrubber attached. That should help my p.h. Plus I’m going to use my own salt mix instead of buying LFS
I'm considering punching a 3/4 inch hole in my wall to pass a 5/8 hose through with so that my skimmer can pull oxygen from outside. Up high and I think maybe through a canister filter filled with carbon before it gets to the tank.

Superd513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering punching a 3/4 inch hole in my wall to pass a 5/8 hose through with so that my skimmer can pull oxygen from outside. Up high and I think maybe through a canister filter filled with carbon before it gets to the tank.
I would try a CO2 scrubber first. And maybe some experiments to verify that co2 is the problem. It may only be one part of a complex situation.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try a CO2 scrubber first. And maybe some experiments to verify that co2 is the problem. It may only be one part of a complex situation.
The room my tank is in has me, two 100 lbs dogs and one 60 lbs dog all isleepin n the same room at the same time. That's when the ph problems come in. Lots of CO2 in there sometimes.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg I’m sure.
Its a good sized bedroom, 18ft x 13ft. But some days it is down right stifling in there. One of the air handler intakes is just outside my door and that helps tremendously. The door stays open and the dogs are now 3,2, and 1 year old. all but the one year old get run of the house all day. But, They like to nap in the room with while I sleep (I work nights). Because I work nights, the windows are blacked out and never open.

My home is block with a whole brick veneer on all four sides. When I bought it I removed all of the coax. There is a 5/8 hole already drilled. I already sealed it with mortar on the outside and its behind a coax plate inside. I just need to knock the mortar out on the outside then bump the hole to 3/4.

Fresh air for the algae scrubber and a PH boost from the scrubber.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 45 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back