OP
OP
Chessmanmark

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank had been running great since the move to the basement. Growth was rapid. We lived in a townhouse and were trying to sell it, on and off since 2006. Multiple offers fell through. We dropped $70K over four years and just when we gave up, we got a solid offer. Time to move the tank. It's November of 2010.

OP
OP
Chessmanmark

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank move in 2010 was an epic failure. I thought it would work out. I tore down my tanks and moved every worldly possession. I planned on holding my fish and as many coral colonies in a 40 Breeder, with everything else in Brute cans.

Moving was exhausting. It seemed like mission impossible. I got the fish and corals moved, then had to go back to work the next day. I got a call about a funky smell. It was the kiss of death. I needed fresh salt water and didn’t have any. I called local fish stores and fellow hobbyists. Nobody had any. A friend took some corals and tried to save them in his sump, but it was too late.

It was a devastating loss, most of my fish and almost all corals.
When it happens you just feel defeated and let go. It would be a few months before I was ready to start again.

OP
OP
Chessmanmark

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After almost a year I made some calls and bought some SPS frag packs from successful hobbyists. It was time to rebuild.
I got lots of frags mounted and BAM, Hurricane Sandy hit in 2012.

Over a week with no power.

I put a couple fish and two corals in a five gallon bucket and went to stay with relatives.

It was another major set back.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 35.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back