Try, try again

Tank had been running great since the move to the basement. Growth was rapid. We lived in a townhouse and were trying to sell it, on and off since 2006. Multiple offers fell through. We dropped $70K over four years and just when we gave up, we got a solid offer. Time to move the tank. It's November of 2010.
 
The tank move in 2010 was an epic failure. I thought it would work out. I tore down my tanks and moved every worldly possession. I planned on holding my fish and as many coral colonies in a 40 Breeder, with everything else in Brute cans.

Moving was exhausting. It seemed like mission impossible. I got the fish and corals moved, then had to go back to work the next day. I got a call about a funky smell. It was the kiss of death. I needed fresh salt water and didn’t have any. I called local fish stores and fellow hobbyists. Nobody had any. A friend took some corals and tried to save them in his sump, but it was too late.

It was a devastating loss, most of my fish and almost all corals.
When it happens you just feel defeated and let go. It would be a few months before I was ready to start again.
 
After almost a year I made some calls and bought some SPS frag packs from successful hobbyists. It was time to rebuild.
I got lots of frags mounted and BAM, Hurricane Sandy hit in 2012.

Over a week with no power.

I put a couple fish and two corals in a five gallon bucket and went to stay with relatives.

It was another major set back.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new