Trying Out Dad's Other Hobby. What Does Everyone Else Do For Fun?

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I'm sure it's hard decide where your money goes, tank or more watches! Seeing how some of those watches operated, I would hesitate to work on one period!
It's really not that hard. I have learned a lot of patience working on them. I have ruined many watch movements getting in a hurry.

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really not that hard. I have learned a lot of patience working on them. I have ruined many watch movements getting in a hurry.
The getting in a hurry part is what I know I'd struggle with. Either that or stopping to take a break and forgetting where I left off!

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, I know how you feel. When I first started coding, it was like looking at quantum mechanics theory. I've built my own LED fixture and dosing pump, for starts!
DIYing that kind of stuff is something I'd like to get into, but I'm too afraid that I'll royaly screw something up. Does coding help when you're setting up a tank controller? I read about people using raspberry pi or something like that and it sounds like coding would come in handy.

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Muscle cars.
Shooting.
I don't know much about cars, and all I know about guns is that I love to shoot them! I'm always getting myself into awkward situations complementing someone on their new gun (I work with quite a few people that are really into guns) and they start spouting about special stock this or enhanced grip that. I just sit and smile, nodding like I know what they are talking about :)

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y
The getting in a hurry part is what I know I'd struggle with. Either that or stopping to take a break and forgetting where I left off!
yea, I have a bad promblem with patience. I would lose a screw or spring and go ballistic. Now I have small containers and trays that I put each lair and area in. At first when I started, I would just tare into one and be screwed because I had no idea what went where. Same with pinball machines. I now take pics and bag every area and mark it..

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y

yea, I have a bad promblem with patience. I would lose a screw or spring and go ballistic. Now I have small containers and trays that I put each lair and area in. At first when I started, I would just tare into one and be screwed because I had no idea what went where. Same with pinball machines. I now take pics and bag every area and mark it..
Sounds like a smart way to do anything that requires more than a few steps! I may have to use it. Thanks!

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIYing that kind of stuff is something I'd like to get into, but I'm too afraid that I'll royaly screw something up. Does coding help when you're setting up a tank controller? I read about people using raspberry pi or something like that and it sounds like coding would come in handy.

You should give it a try, it isn't as hard as people make it out to be. ;)

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other hobby... 20150603_063039.jpg 20140719_141641.jpg 20150603_063145.jpg now I can garden all year round inside and outside!
Very cool! Last year I made a sandbox for the kids and of course it was used and abused and now forgotten. I'm thinking about turning it into a raised garden bed. Any non standard tips?

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All kinds of baking and cooking. Making ice cream and sorbet. Gardening, crafts, jewelry, pretty much anything that looks interesting.

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All kinds of baking and cooking. Making ice cream and sorbet. Gardening, crafts, jewelry, pretty much anything that looks interesting.
Jack of all trades! Any tips about gardening that don't come up with a quick Google? I've done a good bit of research so I'm looking for non standard things!

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little bit of a vintage audiophile. Plus, a Maltese owner. I wanted a boxer and my wife wanted a Maltese, so like any good husband I agreed to meet in the middle and get a Maltese... heh....

IMG_0946.JPG

McIntosh MC275 Tube Amp:

IMG_0941.JPG

62' McIntosh MX110 Tube Preamp and Receiver:

IMG_0942.JPG

'74 JVC QF-Y55 with a '74 Audiotechnica AT20SLA cartridge:

IMG_0943.JPG

'89 Klipsch Chorus II Speakers rebuilt tweets and mid-range tweets:

IMG_0947.JPG

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! Last year I made a sandbox for the kids and of course it was used and abused and now forgotten. I'm thinking about turning it into a raised garden bed. Any non standard tips?
I can only recommend lining the inside with heavy duty pond liner. Put a few small holes in the bottom for drainage. Will help keep the wood from rotting. :) Love gardening!

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little bit of a vintage audiophile. Plus, a Maltese owner. I wanted a boxer and my wife wanted a Maltese, so like any good husband I agreed to meet in the middle and get a Maltese... heh....

IMG_0946.JPG

McIntosh MC275 Tube Amp:

IMG_0941.JPG

62' McIntosh MX110 Tube Preamp and Receiver:

IMG_0942.JPG

'74 JVC QF-Y55 with a '74 Audiotechnica AT20SLA cartridge:

IMG_0943.JPG

'89 Klipsch Chorus II Speakers rebuilt tweets and mid-range tweets:

IMG_0947.JPG
I don't even know what I'm looking at and it's cool. What's the purpose of the tube amp? A regular amp just old school?

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only recommend lining the inside with heavy duty pond liner. Put a few small holes in the bottom for drainage. Will help keep the wood from rotting. :) Love gardening!
Thanks for the tip! I'm excited to get started.

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even know what I'm looking at and it's cool. What's the purpose of the tube amp? A regular amp just old school?

You have to hear it ;) I bought it specifically to listen to my record collection, but a good lossless audio file sounds wonderful too. I think that even an 8-track would sound magical on the amp-preamp combo.

I should have given a typical audiophile answer like, "It is the notes you don't hear that make all the difference..." or, "The presence on analog is second to none". All that is nonsense. It just really sounds awesome. And it isn't a rock the house system, but if the right moment presents itself it will rock the property.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to hear it ;) I bought it specifically to listen to my record collection, but a good lossless audio file sounds wonderful too. I think that even an 8-track would sound magical on the amp-preamp combo.

I should have given a typical audiophile answer like, "It is the notes you don't hear that make all the difference..." or, "The presence on analog is second to none". All that is nonsense. It just really sounds awesome. And it isn't a rock the house system, but if the right moment presents itself it will rock the property.
Very nice use of words. I don't listen to music very often, but I feel like I would a lot more if I had a setup like this!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back