Trying out sps, what should I start with?

Chaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had my tank for about a year and a half, and it has been mostly dominated by lps and some mushrooms, no softies or zoas, and the corals have been thriving. Especially one very annoying echinopora I got a while back, it has grown big and stings ANYTHING close to it so that makes placement of new ones difficult.... But anyway, I wanted to TRY some SPS coral, I just got a stylophora, and it seems happy, no die off, and great polyp extension. What other good sps corals would you guys recommend? I want an acro.... but I know how sensitive they are, unless there is a tougher species that I do not know of. But let me know what species of sps you would recommend to start with!

Tank size: 30 gallons
Stock: 4 Fish, dragonet, clown, purple firefish, and watchman goby
Equipment: Skimmer, chaeto, return pump, no sump, Kessil A160 light, and a powerhead.

Zagreus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a Plutonium Tenuis. Its green and hairy. Tells you how's its doing by color and polyp extension and rebounds back quick from issues once you fix them. I like them better than green slimer.

Zag

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Encrusting montiporas are also pretty forgiving but I would still try the birdsnest and pocillapora first. Red monti caps are probably the cheapest SPS coral in my area. Green birdsnest comes in at a close second.

OP
OP
Chaotic

Chaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the look of that tenius, I might start out with a birdsnest and a pocillopora first though to see how they like the light and flow, maybe give it a 2-3 month wait, and then try out the easier acros!

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for pocillopora, love that fuzzy look. Montipora digitata is also a hardy fast grower.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Birdsnest is always a good beginner. I believe it's what I started with for my first SPS.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could keep anything just make sure your testing all your parameters and dosing what is missing I recommended stuff earlier but honestly you want to put stuff in your tank that you want not just what you can keep.
+1.
I've had the most rewarding experiences in the hobby learning to keep the stuff I wanted.

I don't really test that much though.
:oops:

IMG_0166.JPG

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. Figure I'm about a month from adding SPS to my tank. Just got my parameters where I want them. 9.5 alk, 425 calcium, 1400 magnesium, 4 ppm nitrates, and 0.07 PO4 (hadn't touched GFO in 8 weeks, so I replaced that).

Have been recommended stylophora, seriatopa, pocillopora, montipora digitata, monti-caps, and the green slimer as SPS to add. Now to find someone locally who is willing to give me 2 or 3 small frags. Being a seahawks fan, I like the green slimer, reminds me of my Seahawks green.

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found stylophora very forgiving in a new'ish tank. They keep their polyps open all the time and they can get really bushy.

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. Figure I'm about a month from adding SPS to my tank. Just got my parameters where I want them. 9.5 alk, 425 calcium, 1400 magnesium, 4 ppm nitrates, and 0.07 PO4 (hadn't touched GFO in 8 weeks, so I replaced that).

Have been recommended stylophora, seriatopa, pocillopora, montipora digitata, monti-caps, and the green slimer as SPS to add. Now to find someone locally who is willing to give me 2 or 3 small frags. Being a seahawks fan, I like the green slimer, reminds me of my Seahawks green.
Go Hawks!

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get two (or three) different color Montipora capricornis, position them near each other, and watch as they grow to interdigitate and wrap around each other. I've got that going with red, blue-green, and purple cap monti's right now, and it's interesting to watch them start to interact.

Or get a Montipora spongodes; mine's survived several extinction events and is going strong, looking like something from outer space.

IMG_2959.JPG

thirdchild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yup, trying 2-3 small frags that aren't too expensive is a good idea.
If they do well, you know you can upgrade safely.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back