Trying out sps, what should I start with?

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, trying 2-3 small frags that aren't too expensive is a good idea.
If they do well, you know you can upgrade safely.

Finding people around here willing to give you 3 1/2-3/4" frags is next to impossible. Will end up buying them. Some guy offered me 3 1/2" stylo frags for $200. I politely passed.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cliff's Acropora :)

Boom-3425.jpg
That's pretty.
Is is hardy?
I still like my acros with training wheels. ;Dummy1

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finding people around here willing to give you 3 1/2-3/4" frags is next to impossible. Will end up buying them. Some guy offered me 3 1/2" stylo frags for $200. I politely passed.
Lordy where are you? Antarctica?

I knock pieces of every time the clown fish bite and nobody want them. Lol.

thirdchild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Whoa, I haven't seen a stylo that expensive before.

Try to get something more like 1" though or something that is encrusted on the frag disc, or it might not have the best chance of survival in a newish tank.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very hardy. Which is rare for a coral that looks this nice. I'd argue it's even hardier than birdsnests and stylos.
Dang. I'll keep a look out , if you come across some let me know please.
"Starter sps"= green.;) Lol.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang. I'll keep a look out , if you come across some let me know please.
"Starter sps"= green.;) Lol.
I always have cliffs in stock. :) Good sized frags generally too. It is a fast grower. When someone asks for a good first acro I always sell them a cliffs and they are excited to see how fast it grows. You can pull more purple in high light or more green and yellow in lower light.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have cliffs in stock. :) Good sized frags generally too. It is a fast grower. When someone asks for a good first acro I always sell them a cliffs and they are excited to see how fast it grows. You can pull more purple in high light or more green and yellow in lower light.
Yer killing me bro.
I'm still in mourning over my giant stylo.

Maybe I'll feel better tomorrow though!!;Woot

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa, I haven't seen a stylo that expensive before.

Try to get something more like 1" though or something that is encrusted on the frag disc, or it might not have the best chance of survival in a newish tank.

I would love that but not around here in the Philly area. No one gives away pieces.

Ideally the slimer, stylophora and a montipora would be the 3 I add to start.

Pacific east aquatics has small, cheap frags, but I hate paying for shipping. Oh well. Lol

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love that but not around here in the Philly area. No one gives away pieces.

Pacific east aquatics has small, cheap frags, but I hate paying for shipping. Oh well. Lol
I could help you out I think. :)

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
orange digi and cali tort. It took me three tries to kill my tort :( (heater out, nutrient drop, etc) and the digi rebounded from it all.

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you shop at ASR in Malvern? Mike will lead you in the right direction and give you a great deal.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And there is a frag swap in Lancaster this Saturday. Sure to be some great deals there too!

Unfortunately no go. Not only do I coach football on saturdays, my daughter has soccer, and my sons birthday party is Saturday. If that wasn't enough, Penn State plays Saturday night.

Am in no rush. Probably should give my tank some more time and see just how consistent it can be over the next 2-3 weeks. Also by that time our football season will be over and I should be able to dedicate more time to it...much to my wife's dismay who already thinks I take better care of the tank than I do the kids or her.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Birdsnest and pocillapora(spelling) are easy ones

Be careful with Pocillopora damicornis. I agree that it is an easy coral. I had a small colony in my 75g for more than a year with not much spreading. I moved this rock to my 150g and within a year, I have probably about 100 colonies of the stuff - it should come with a "warning, may take over your tank" sticker. Some of the easier ones I have are ORA bird of paradise birds nest, rainbow montipora digitata, Joe the Coral acropora.

Back