Trying out sps, what should I start with?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P. damicornis is a hardy pioneer on reefs, and utilizes virtually every sexual and asexual reproductive strategy in the coral playbook; fragmentation, generating sexual and asexual planulae throughout the lunar cycle, even polyp bail-out. And the planulae are morphogenically reversible, meaning if they don't like where they settle, they've got up to 3 days to transform back and take to the water again to find a better place. I would love to find a new colony starting up remote from one of my three small cauliflower colonies, but so far no luck.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P. damicornis is a hardy pioneer on reefs, and utilizes virtually every sexual and asexual reproductive strategy in the coral playbook; fragmentation, generating sexual and asexual planulae throughout the lunar cycle, even polyp bail-out. And the planulae are morphogenically reversible, meaning if they don't like where they settle, they've got up to 3 days to transform back and take to the water again to find a better place. I would love to find a new colony starting up remote from one of my three small cauliflower colonies, but so far no luck.

Sounds like my kind of start up coral!

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1.
I've had the most rewarding experiences in the hobby learning to keep the stuff I wanted.

I don't really test that much though.
:oops:

IMG_0166.JPG

Milka Stylo/Purple Stylo grows like a weed. Add one it will grow to a colony in no time.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am seeing some bright green algae growing on the rocks. Ugly phase 3 has begun. No rush. Biocube did this and now it has so much coralline algae, I need to do 10g water changes or else alk drops to low 7'sz

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When it was in my 75g under only LEDs, the colony stayed on its original rock. When I moved this rock to the 150g (T5/LED) it exploded. I had the night light on a lunar cycle which I have since stopped in hopes the reproduction will abate. This tank also has a calcium reactor which the other tank did not.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I moved this rock to the 150g (T5/LED) it exploded.

Ah. OK, I should probably go ahead and preorder that eagerly anticipated hybrid fixture to use with my HydraHDs. :)

Although some I had the night light on a lunar cycle which I have since stopped in hopes the reproduction will abate.

Has it worked? Sounds like this particular coral doesn't care about the lunar cycle at all. :D

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have cliffs in stock. :) Good sized frags generally too. It is a fast grower. When someone asks for a good first acro I always sell them a cliffs and they are excited to see how fast it grows. You can pull more purple in high light or more green and yellow in lower light.
I think I am the litmus test for anything labeled as "starter" or "hardy". I've buried more than a few that my lfs guy has said "everybody can grow these". Lol

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am the litmus test for anything labeled as "starter" or "hardy". I've buried more than a few that my lfs guy has said "everybody can grow these". Lol

hahah...I'm with ya. They said, you can't possibly kill a hairy mushroom. It opened for 2 days...never again.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Birdsnest and montis. Can always tell if somethings wrong by my birdsnest.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahah...I'm with ya. They said, you can't possibly kill a hairy mushroom. It opened for 2 days...never again.
We should form a support group. I don't get invited to local reefers homes to view their tanks for fear that I might "pass something on".

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah. OK, I should probably go ahead and preorder that eagerly anticipated hybrid fixture to use with my HydraHDs. :)

Has it worked? Sounds like this particular coral doesn't care about the lunar cycle at all. :D

Hard to say whether it has worked or not. Subjectively, I'd guess that it has because most of the stray colonies are nearly the same size. But since I did not document the spread, I might be imagining it.

I am definitely happy with the T5/LED combination. When I get around to installing the extra pucks, I hope that the lighting will be more uniform when the T5s are off.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back