OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent about 5 hours busting rock and starting to build the scape. I’m going to have three structures.

Left side will be a large split structure strictly LPS…mostly torches and gonis.

Middle structure will be the smallest and likely primarily SPS

Right side will be a large structure with a bunch of caves, overhangs, swim-through…and the top will be quite spread out to accommodate a bunch of SPS. I’ve started building this structure.

This is the current state of the big SPS structure:

It’s about 12 inches tall right now…I plan to get it up to about 16 inches, leaving 10+ inches of space for the sticks to groe.

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest update of the aquascape

The tank will have 3 structures. The first one on the video will be roughly 12 inches tall at it's peak and will be for gonis on one side and torches on the other. I'm trying to build it as a big swim-through. Pretty excited about how it's coming together, although it's only about 1/3 done.

The largest structure will be on the other side of the tank. It is also the tallest as I'll have it eventually covered in SPS. I've built some nice caves and swim-throughs in it as well.

In the middle will be the smallest structure which will be essentially an extension of the big structure to hold more SPS. I'll leave a good amount of sand and swimming space open in front of it.

On another note, after a ton of reading (and coming across this AMAZING thread here on R2R: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ati-straton-led-light-comments-review-par-coverage-discuss.762808/) I'm switching up and have ordered 3 ATI Stratons. Each structure will have a fixture over it for maximum spread and programming flexibility.

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I ended up building four structure :)

Most current version of the aquascape. I think this is about “final”. Plan is to walk away for a day or two, come back to epoxy the new pieces and look at it with fresh eyes. I may add just a little more to the center structure.

Otherwise, I think this is it!

My goals were to:

1) Have plenty of spots for SPS.
2) Have a large torch garden
3) Have space for a small high-end Goni garden
4) Have plenty of sand space for meaty centerpiece LPS
5) Balance lots of swimming space with caves, overhangs, and swim-throughs for the fish

What do you think? All feedback is welcome!

swallace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I ended up building four structure :)

Most current version of the aquascape. I think this is about “final”. Plan is to walk away for a day or two, come back to epoxy the new pieces and look at it with fresh eyes. I may add just a little more to the center structure.

Otherwise, I think this is it!

My goals were to:

1) Have plenty of spots for SPS.
2) Have a large torch garden
3) Have space for a small high-end Goni garden
4) Have plenty of sand space for meaty centerpiece LPS
5) Balance lots of swimming space with caves, overhangs, and swim-throughs for the fish

What do you think? All feedback is welcome!

Are you planning on having a substrata or going bare bottom? After adding about an 1 1/2 of sand some of the caves and swim-throughs that I built got alot smaller :) Just something to think about if you havnt already. Other than that it looks good.

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on having a substrata or going bare bottom? After adding about an 1 1/2 of sand some of the caves and swim-throughs that I built got alot smaller :) Just something to think about if you havnt already. Other than that it looks good.
Excellent point! Yes, I plan to have a sandbed.

The issue you’re referencing is a lesson I learned from my first tank. Didn’t consider the sand when I built the scape. This time I was more intentional about it so the caves and swim-throughs are tall enough to account for the sand

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are getting close...install officially on the books for Saturday, July 30th. I can't wait!

A lesson learned - My goals for this system are to (1) have as large a tank as my home can reasonably support, and (2) place the tank in a central location where we can enjoy it frequently. That meant a 6-foot tank on the first floor. However, we have a basement so weight is an issue. This system, fully loaded, will weigh around 3000 pounds.

I asked around, spoke to the LFS, posted here and in Facebook groups to ask - the tank will be against a load-bearing wall and will cross several joists...additionally, it will sit over the solid metal beam crossing the full length of our home - does it need additional support?

This is a view of the beam/joists with a rough outline of where the tank will sit above
IMG-7009.jpg

The responses were all over the board. So I decided to find out professionally and hired a structural engineer to come out and assess the location. Sooooo glad I did...

The engineer determined this space would not support that much weight long-term. He assured me in no uncertain terms that within months or a few years if I did not add additional support, the tank would cause serious damage to the home.

The engineer provided me a detailed report and plans for sufficient additional support required. In short, I need to have an LVL beam installed about 20 feet to the left of the metal beam in the above picture. The LVL will be about 9 feet long and will be supported by 2 adjustable metal posts, one on each end, each post sitting on a cement pad placed into the ground 12 inches deep. Once installed, they will add 2 x 12 blocking alongside the current joists, spanning from the new beam to the existing beam, the entire length of the tank.

I learned a TON about how homes are built and the weight they can support. You see, it's not about how much weight a section of floor can support for short periods of time. We could put 3000 pounds there no problem....for an hour or day or a few weeks even. It's about the load capacity over time that matters.

I got multiple bids from general contractors and went with a GC who has experience installing things like this to support aquariums (and even has a 180 in his second floor office). It's costing me a cool $5800.

That's like buying a second Reefer-S 850 :)

I was not anticipating this expense. But man, I sure am glad I explored this. It would have been devastating to wake up one day and find my pride and joy sitting in the basement because the floor collapsed. With this, I know it'll be rock solid and, if it does have issues for some reason, I'll have a legit argument with insurance.

GC is installing the added support next week. Will take 3 days.

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised you need additional support with the size of that steal beam, but hey - that's why basements and concrete floors are awesome!
I was surprised as well. When I hired the engineer, I was hoping to get a signed certificate stating "this should be fine" so if there were any future issues I could show it to our home insurance company. When he first looked at it, he thought there might be a chance it would be fine.

But after taking all his measurements and putting it through whatever calculations they do, it turned out not OK. The problem, as I understand it, is at least two-fold:
  1. The Joists: The type of joists in our home are not the strongest (yay builder-grade track homes!) and are a type that cannot be directly reinforced.
  2. Two Stories: Our house is two stories so that beam, and the wall the tank will be up against, is supporting a lot of static weight already.

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 2 of reinforcements are done. Day 1 they dug up the concrete and ground beneath to pour 24 inch x 24 inch (12 inch deep) concrete pads. Today they placed the posts and additional beam including securing the beam to the joists. Post pads weren’t quite dry enough for drilling yet.

Tomorrow they will secure the posts to the pads and add the 2 x 12 planks along each joist from new beam to existing beam. Then the floor can support my incoming beast!

Tank paid for today. Picked up my 200 lb of CaribSea Ocean Direct as well. Install still on track for July 30th. So excited!!

9FF9176D-6C6B-453E-BEC3-115689C0C3B5.jpeg

DC3920B2-0729-4318-A1FE-5D916E8FDBE2.jpeg

FreshCoastReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on a plan for cycling, etc. I have an established 65 gallon mixed reef with several corals and fish I intend to move to the bigger tank. In time, I'll move some of the nicer pieces over and sell off the 65 gallon system along with the corals I don't keep.

So, here's my plan to make that happen:
  1. Day 1: Set up tank with pre-built marco rock scape, CaribSea Bahamas Oolite Arag-Alive sand, and either Microbacter Start or Turbo Start 900. I'll add nutrients with something like Microbacter QuickCycl
  2. Cycle Complete: Once the cycle has completed, I'll add a pair of pre-quarantined clown fish. I'll also add a Live Sand Activator Kit from Indo-Pacific Sea Farms to boost biodiversity.
  3. First Month: For the first month I will run the tank without any lights on. Fish will be fed daily.
  4. Month Two: In month two, I'll slowly start ramping up the lights over 30 days. I'll also start adding a bunch of copepods and phyto to try and seed the system.
  5. Month Three: I'll begin transferring corals and fish from the 65 gallon.
Thoughts?
How about adding some mature rock from your other tanks into the sump to help speed up the cycle and add beneficial bacteria?

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about adding some mature rock from your other tanks into the sump to help speed up the cycle and add beneficial bacteria?
Yes, I love that idea! I actually ended up sending a sample from my current system to @AquaBiomics to see if this would be a viable option for me. I've QT'd all my fish so I was fairly confident I wouldn't be introducing any bad fish parasites...but I've battled some odd algae and one heavy bout of cyano in the past so I wanted to be sure.

The samples came back very clean and with a healthy biome. That said, AquaBiomics finally got in some clean live reef sand (https://aquabiomics.com/product/live-reef-sand) so I ordered a package and plan to add this to my tank along with the CaribSea OceanDirect to get the cycle and biome started.

I'm also planning on ordering 10 lbs of live rock from KP Aquatics (their starter rock: https://www.kpaquatics.com/product/starter-aquacultured-live-rock-free-shipping/) and placing it in my sump after my tank has cycled. I'll also add a large package of copepods, probably from AlgaeBarn since they are in Colorado, where I live.

Between all that I'm confident I'll be cycled quickly and develop a healthy, balanced, properly diverse biome.

FreshCoastReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I love that idea! I actually ended up sending a sample from my current system to @AquaBiomics to see if this would be a viable option for me. I've QT'd all my fish so I was fairly confident I wouldn't be introducing any bad fish parasites...but I've battled some odd algae and one heavy bout of cyano in the past so I wanted to be sure.

The samples came back very clean and with a healthy biome. That said, AquaBiomics finally got in some clean live reef sand (https://aquabiomics.com/product/live-reef-sand) so I ordered a package and plan to add this to my tank along with the CaribSea OceanDirect to get the cycle and biome started.

I'm also planning on ordering 10 lbs of live rock from KP Aquatics (their starter rock: https://www.kpaquatics.com/product/starter-aquacultured-live-rock-free-shipping/) and placing it in my sump after my tank has cycled. I'll also add a large package of copepods, probably from AlgaeBarn since they are in Colorado, where I live.

Between all that I'm confident I'll be cycled quickly and develop a healthy, balanced, properly diverse biome.
Sounds like a well considered and holistic plan!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back