Time to go BIGGER to Start - Red Sea Reefer S 850 G2

Av8tor2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone!

Started to come together. But I am taking is slowly, feeling I might have bitten off a little more than I thought. But up for the challenge.

20220713_063331.jpg

Ordered the tank about a month ago, it arrived 4 days after I ask them to hold it. Got it moved into place (talk about HEAVY)

Have a general ideal of the corals and fish that I want in their new home. But it is always subject to change for me second by second. ;)

I have been gluing, like crazy over the last 3 days coming up with the aqua scape. What do you think?
Tank_20220718_172608.jpg

Found out I almost make a mistake on the one on the right, the base was almost TOO BIG. The euro bracing on the bottom of the tank almost interferes with it being flat on the glass.

More to come over the next few weeks, months and years. Happy to be back in the water!

Ideals and suggestions greatly appreciated ... Paul

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone!

Started to come together. But I am taking is slowly, feeling I might have bitten off a little more than I thought. But up for the challenge.

20220713_063331.jpg

Ordered the tank about a month ago, it arrived 4 days after I ask them to hold it. Got it moved into place (talk about HEAVY)

Have a general ideal of the corals and fish that I want in their new home. But it is always subject to change for me second by second. ;)

I have been gluing, like crazy over the last 3 days coming up with the aqua scape. What do you think?
Tank_20220718_172608.jpg

Found out I almost make a mistake on the one on the right, the base was almost TOO BIG. The euro bracing on the bottom of the tank almost interferes with it being flat on the glass.

More to come over the next few weeks, months and years. Happy to be back in the water!

Maybe a couple individual island rocks in from for specific coral types?

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Hello Everyone!

20220713_063331.jpg

Tank_20220718_172608.jpg

Liking it

OP
OP
Av8tor2

Av8tor2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the tank specs and items.

Tank:
Red Sea Reefer-s G2 850 (225 gal, total system water volume)
71" X 25.6 X 26.75
Total weight including water: 2675 pounds (not including sand rocks etc)
The sump is a split sump. Not sure how I will configure it yet.

Lights/Doser
Red Sea ReefLED 160S with the arms. (man these thing put out the light, have them turned way down for testing)
Red Sea: ReefDose 4
Phillips Hue: LED strips

Filtration/Flow
Skimmer: Reefer Skimmer 900
Wave Pumps: ReefWave 45's (2)
Filter Roller: ReefMat 1200
Return Pump: Sicce Syncra SDC 9.0 (2)
Heaters: Helio PTC Smart Heater - Innovative Marine 700Watt
ATO: ATK v2 (Neptune Systems)

Rocks and Sand:
Marco Reef Saver Dry Rocks: 150 pounds
Caribsea South Seas Foundation: 40 pounds
CaribSea - Alive Fiji Pink: 160 pounds

Salt:
RedSea Coral Pro Salt Mix

RODI System:
BRS 6 Stage Deluxe Plus 150 GPD
Water Storage - Tractor Supply 65 Gal water tanks (2)

Below is I am test fitting the manifold plumbing design with the left over PVC that I used for the saltwater mixing station. Not sure if I should stick with one inch PVC or fall back to 3/4" PVC. I am ordering colored PVC and schedule 80 fittings.

Sump Lights 20220720_193838.jpg

At the end of the sump I am thinking about putting a UV.

More updates as the happen...

Have a great day/evening everyone.

OP
OP
Av8tor2

Av8tor2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More test fitting of the sump plumbing. I have found out that the pipe from BRS is on the larger size and doesn't like to fit all the way to the shoulder of the fittings. Also it isn't the same red as the "Red Sea" red.

I have placed the two return pumps and started to test fit their plumbing too.

20220722_224825.jpg

OP
OP
Av8tor2

Av8tor2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WATER! Water!

Filled the tank over the last two days. Took, 4 tanks of salt water. The bag of Red Sea Salt (200 gals) only made 150 gals. DOH. Have the water at 1.025. Also dialing in the overflow was a total PITA. But finally got it today... Silence is Golden. I am shock at how silence the tank is, now!

This is before I tuned it and adjusted the pumps. Right now I have the dual returns running at 19% each.

swallace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WATER! Water!

Filled the tank over the last two days. Took, 4 tanks of salt water. The bag of Red Sea Salt (200 gals) only made 150 gals. DOH. Have the water at 1.025. Also dialing in the overflow was a total PITA. But finally got it today... Silence is Golden. I am shock at how silence the tank is, now!

This is before I tuned it and adjusted the pumps. Right now I have the dual returns running at 19% each.
Interesting my vectra l2s are running at 40% each.

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, ive been thinking about getting the same set up for a while now, i already have a few big tanks (freshwater) so i know what it takes to deal with them hence why im still on the fence about getting into another large tank.
It looks great tho! I cant wait to see how everything turns out.

OP
OP
Av8tor2

Av8tor2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting my vectra l2s are running at 40% each.
Do you know what is your flow rate and the specs on your pumps? I might have mine set low. But when I was at 50% is was like a jet starting up when they first started, Air bubbles reached the far corner from the outlets.

OP
OP
Av8tor2

Av8tor2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, ive been thinking about getting the same set up for a while now, i already have a few big tanks (freshwater) so i know what it takes to deal with them hence why im still on the fence about getting into another large tank.
It looks great tho! I cant wait to see how everything turns out.

The water is GREAT, come on in! :p I also am looking forward to see how things turn out. As you know time is on your side for sitting up large tanks slowly.

OP
OP
Av8tor2

Av8tor2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick write up on how to dial in the overflow of the aquarium.

1. Fill your tank to just over flowing into the sump. STOP putting water in the tank.

2. Fill your sump to the desired level. Do this with your return pumps OFF and Valve closed for the Tank.
A. Fill to about 3 inches from the top of the sump. This will overflow the sump baffles.

3. Now fill or remove water from the tank's weir box. Have the water level just about .5 to 1 inch below the main drain.

Now the fun begins or terror depends on you excitement level. If you have oversized your return pumps do NOT put them at 100% when you turn them on. Lots of noise and water my jet out of the tank. Speaking of that put your returns just below the water level of the tank.

Now I did it this way, you can do it the opposite, (which was recommended, but I found this easier. And a lot less nerve racking.)

4. Open your over flow valve FULLY OPEN. For Red Sea Tanks, that is a lot of turning to the left, if you have the stock valve.
A. Now mark the sump water level. This should be the line you NEVER go above filling your sump. Mark it MAX WATER LEVEL.

5. Turn on your return pumps, again if oversized DO NOT run at 100% yet that is if you want to later. Let the water level stabilize for sometime. It will be noisy.

At this point the tank weir box should be filling up with the water from the sump. Once the water level reaches the top of the return over flow water will be returning to the sump. LOUD and you might have to pee because of the running water noise.

6. At this time determine your flow rate by adjusting your pumping speed. I have mine set at 19% right now. And it seems that I have good flow in the tank.

7. Once your flow is dialed in, now start closing the valve from the over flow. I did full turns, and waited serval minutes between turns for the flow to stabilize. While you are doing this the you notice the flow and level of water rise in the weir box. Keep doing this slowly and your tank will become silent! Once the tank is silent STOP adjusting.

8. After the water level has stabilized mark this level on the sump. This will be the level if you are using an ATO (Auto Top Off) to fill your sump with RO water to replace the evaporated water from the tank. I marked it with painters tape and called it running level.

9. After you have done this and someone might ask is the filter system working?!?!

10. Power out Test! Turn everything off. Watch the water level in the sump rise. It should go to the first mark you put on your sump. After the water has stopped flowing to the sump. Turn everything back on your silenced tank. Have good night sleep now!

But another important point, when you change anything in your tank you will have to do this again. If you add a lot of fish, rocks or sand. You might have to remove water from the sump.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back