Time to go BIGGER to Start - Red Sea Reefer S 850 G2

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick write up on how to dial in the overflow of the aquarium.

1. Fill your tank to just over flowing into the sump. STOP putting water in the tank.

2. Fill your sump to the desired level. Do this with your return pumps OFF and Valve closed for the Tank.
A. Fill to about 3 inches from the top of the sump. This will overflow the sump baffles.

3. Now fill or remove water from the tank's weir box. Have the water level just about .5 to 1 inch below the main drain.

Now the fun begins or terror depends on you excitement level. If you have oversized your return pumps do NOT put them at 100% when you turn them on. Lots of noise and water my jet out of the tank. Speaking of that put your returns just below the water level of the tank.

Now I did it this way, you can do it the opposite, (which was recommended, but I found this easier. And a lot less nerve racking.)

4. Open your over flow valve FULLY OPEN. For Red Sea Tanks, that is a lot of turning to the left, if you have the stock valve.
A. Now mark the sump water level. This should be the line you NEVER go above filling your sump. Mark it MAX WATER LEVEL.

5. Turn on your return pumps, again if oversized DO NOT run at 100% yet that is if you want to later. Let the water level stabilize for sometime. It will be noisy.

At this point the tank weir box should be filling up with the water from the sump. Once the water level reaches the top of the return over flow water will be returning to the sump. LOUD and you might have to pee because of the running water noise.

6. At this time determine your flow rate by adjusting your pumping speed. I have mine set at 19% right now. And it seems that I have good flow in the tank.

7. Once your flow is dialed in, now start closing the valve from the over flow. I did full turns, and waited serval minutes between turns for the flow to stabilize. While you are doing this the you notice the flow and level of water rise in the weir box. Keep doing this slowly and your tank will become silent! Once the tank is silent STOP adjusting.

8. After the water level has stabilized mark this level on the sump. This will be the level if you are using an ATO (Auto Top Off) to fill your sump with RO water to replace the evaporated water from the tank. I marked it with painters tape and called it running level.

9. After you have done this and someone might ask is the filter system working?!?!

10. Power out Test! Turn everything off. Watch the water level in the sump rise. It should go to the first mark you put on your sump. After the water has stopped flowing to the sump. Turn everything back on your silenced tank. Have good night sleep now!

But another important point, when you change anything in your tank you will have to do this again. If you add a lot of fish, rocks or sand. You might have to remove water from the sump.
Thanks for this! Installing my S 850 G2 on Saturday so this is super helpful

OP
OP
Av8tor2

Av8tor2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this! Installing my S 850 G2 on Saturday so this is super helpful
Welcome, if you have any questions, just send a message or reply here.

Also I would leak test the split sump first, if you haven't. (I did, but moved it to install some cabling) and it leaked during the filling of the sump!

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, if you have any questions, just send a message or reply here.

Also I would leak test the split sump first, if you haven't. (I did, but moved it to install some cabling) and it leaked during the filling of the sump!
I’m actually thinking about using the split chamber as an ATO

OP
OP
Av8tor2

Av8tor2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worked a little more on the wiring and sump area clean up. The Sicce Syncra SDC 9.0. and Helio Heater Controller.

Also the controller for the heaters is mounted to the back wall, Wanted to mount it high up, but the found I couldn't easily see it when just opening the door to the cabinet so I just stuck it to the lower Velcro strip.

Finally, the 1" flow meter for the APEX to measure the flow to the UV light that is mounted, near by.

20220728_175311.jpg

Syncra SDC Pump Controllers and Helio 700 Watt Heater Controller

Have the controllers for the pumps mounted on the center wall. I really haven't used them that much. The app for the pumps has been working great.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Av8tor2

Av8tor2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mounting of the ReefWave 45 controllers, ReefDose (4) and the APEX controller. These were mounted on the pull out in the sump right hand side.

I wish they could come up with a way to combine the controllers into one for the ReefWave.

The ReefDose, I just mounted, I haven't added the lines yet for dosing. I don't think I'll be dosing for a while.

The APEX. NICE. Information overload.

20220728_175302.jpg

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worked a little more on the wiring and sump area clean up. The Sicce Syncra SDC 9.0. and Helio Heater Controller.

Also the controller for the heaters is mounted to the back wall, Wanted to mount it high up, but the found I couldn't easily see it when just opening the door to the cabinet so I just stuck it to the lower Velcro strip.

Finally, the 1" flow meter for the APEX to measure the flow to the UV light that is mounted, near by.

20220728_175311.jpg

Syncra SDC Pump Controllers and Helio 700 Watt Heater Controller

Have the controllers for the pumps mounted on the center wall. I really haven't used them that much. The app for the pumps has been working great.
Looks sharp!

I feel like a moron but I hadn’t ever thought of mounting things with Velcro instead of screwing then in. Genius! I’m going to steal that idea for sure when I set up mine

Arisbel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mounting of the ReefWave 45 controllers, ReefDose (4) and the APEX controller. These were mounted on the pull out in the sump right hand side.

I wish they could come up with a way to combine the controllers into one for the ReefWave.

The ReefDose, I just mounted, I haven't added the lines yet for dosing. I don't think I'll be dosing for a while.

The APEX. NICE. Information overload.

20220728_175302.jpg
Love seeing the 850 getting love. I also made a build threat today! You should come check it out! We have the same tank :) I really like the Velcro idea. I tried that too but some things are too heavy so I have to tone it down haha

OP
OP
Av8tor2

Av8tor2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love seeing the 850 getting love. I also made a build threat today! You should come check it out! We have the same tank :) I really like the Velcro idea. I tried that too but some things are too heavy so I have to tone it down haha
Thanks!

Yeah, your plumbing is awesome, would love to see a build list and a drawing one day. its funny the what 4 inches between the 850 and 1000 makes such a large difference. Looking at the build from that aquarium store that has the 1000. I really liked how you setup your sump. I will be keeping an eye on your build thread!

OP
OP
Av8tor2

Av8tor2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who to believe? For what temperature the tank really is...

Heater control: 78
APEX Sensor: 76
Pump 1: 74.9
Pump 2: 74.7

Calibrated temperature probe coming on Sunday....

OP
OP
Av8tor2

Av8tor2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems all were a few tenths of a degree. But the temperature was off anywhere from 2 to .1 degrees low.

Now I just noticed this defect in the silicon. It wasn't there when the tank was setup, it showed up sometime in the past week. The real question is should I be concerned?

Defect1.jpg
Defect2.jpg

Might be over thinking and worrying about it. But I find it strange that it just showed up. This "bubble" is on the Euro brace area.

Any thought, should I be worried?

OP
OP
Av8tor2

Av8tor2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the inspector come by...She is not to happy with the wiring nest and expects me to clean it up soon!

Inspector.jpg

Installed the Neptune and started testing. Also the 57 Watt UV Sterilizer. Still working on how to wire the power cable into system.

Also the while installing the Neptune, it wouldn't test. Kept coming up with an error during the tests. It tested correctly on the install but after the initial setup the tests kept failing. Had to take it apart and notice there was a small pinch in one of the water transport tubes. It is working correctly now, just by pulling on the tube just a bit and removing the kink.

Neptune.jpg

Started the cycle yesterday... More to come...

Last edited:

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the inspector come by...She is not to happy with the wiring nest and expects me to clean it up soon!

Inspector.jpg

Installed the Neptune and started testing. Also the 57 Watt UV Sterilizer. Still working on how to wire the power cable into system.

Also the while installing the Neptune, it wouldn't test. Kept coming up with an error during the tests. It tested correctly on the install but after the initial setup the tests kept failing. Had to take it apart and notice there was a small pinch in one of the water transport tubes. It is working correctly now, just by pulling on the tube just a bit and removing the kink.

Neptune.jpg

Started the cycle yesterday... More to come...
Wow, this equipment area looks super clean. Nothing like the rat's nest I currently have in mine :)

OP
OP
Av8tor2

Av8tor2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this equipment area looks super clean. Nothing like the rat's nest I currently have in mine :)
Thanks.

I want to build a cabinet next to the aquarium and house the ATO and other electrical item that just will not fit in the sump area.

Thinking about making a trip to IKEA and see what they might have that will "conceal" the extras for the tank.

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

I want to build a cabinet next to the aquarium and house the ATO and other electrical item that just will not fit in the sump area.

Thinking about making a trip to IKEA and see what they might have that will "conceal" the extras for the tank.
Looking forward to seeing what you end up with!

bluetang_2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to say thank you for all your work in putting this build thread together! Got a lot of good ideas from you while putting my 850G2 together.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back