Trying to silence overflow

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems everytime i silence my overflow after a wc the sound comes back. I sleep pretty close to my reef and i have been up at 3:00 am tinkering with the gate valve pulling my hair out. Its an eshops eclipse overflow. How much water is supposed to go into the emergency drain? Right now its a small trickle but it makes a very annoying sound. Can i cover this hole to dampen some of the sound

D0C7E915-A279-4898-AA64-F3A01342A8CA.jpeg

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Herbie style on a small frag tank the gate valve on the main drain is set so the overflow box is about half full which is not quite to the top of the emergency drain pipe. That way there is no trickle down the emergency tube and no air sucking down the main drain to make noise either.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have 3 drains. There should be a main drain, open channel, and emergency should only see water on start up.

If you only have two drains. Main drain and emergency drain. Extend the emergency drain pipe 1/4” below the water line in sump. That should make make it quieter.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve actually had that overflow before. Is it only in the emergency drain or is it water coming through the bulkheads into the external box.

*Note* All drains must never go below 1” under the water line. 1/2-3/4” is best. Wink wink

BTW...this is a beananimal style overflow if you’re not familiar.

Read this:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back