Tube anemone dead?

sawdavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a tube anemone for about three months. It is buried in sand and I fed it brine shrimp whenever it came out every two or three days. It looked healthy. Then a few days ago, i was leaning up algae growing on the sand and found what I think is part of it's tube. It has not come out for several days and I am worried it might have died? I did add a few more emerald crabs to the tank recently but I read that these would not attack it. What should I do? Should I dig up the tube?

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave him be...sometimes they will lose and rebuild their tubes.

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tube isn't part of the anems body. When I got mine, it came completely out. LFS guy gently pushed it back in the tube and its been happy ever since. Mine is out most of the day everyday. Maybe you feed him too much :) I've never spot fed mine.

OP
OP
sawdavis

sawdavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tube isn't part of the anems body. When I got mine, it came completely out. LFS guy gently pushed it back in the tube and its been happy ever since. Mine is out most of the day everyday. Maybe you feed him too much :) I've never spot fed mine.

I only feed him when he comes out. once every three days or so. I read you are supposed to feed them every day but mine doesn't come out every day. Do you not feed yours?

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that the tube is like a sticky secretion that has detritus and fine sand. The actual body isn't very large and can travel up and down the tube. The front end of the tube seems to maintain its shape but the tail end is mushy and can come apart if disturbed. I have had mine for at least 6 mo and has never been fed directly.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said above theyre not made of much and easily torn. Hope he pops out.

OP
OP
sawdavis

sawdavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your advice. i did not disturb him and he finally came out last night but due to the damage at the end, he was sort of spit for awhile and then later when I checked on him, he was whole again and really big. Whew! I really like him and want to keep him healthy and alive.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with these is if you want him to live long term you must feed him. Not big food. Small foods couple times a week.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here s some goos info explaining how theyre noy photosynthetic and require frequent feedings.
Screenshot_20191119-060809.png
Screenshot_20191119-061302.png

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back