Tube Anemone Experiences?

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all! I’m thinking about getting a tube anemone but (as I’m sure the title suggests) I have NO IDEA what I’d be getting into.

Currently there’s only a pair of clowns, a peppermint, and a skunk shrimp in the tank. Will I have to worry about future fish getting eaten?

I know they’re NPS and need feeding, I’m totally willing to do that. How often do they need it and what foods have y’all found success with? Do they prefer low light? What kind of flow?

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple in my NPS tank. They eat brine shrimp and smaller mysis every day. Food gets squirted into the moderate current so that it is brought to them. Their tentacles grab it and pull it into their mouth. Zero issue with them bothering fish. They are in the darkest part of the tank. They have to be on the bottom of the tank and fine sand is necessary. They don't like gravel.

OP
OP
footgal

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple in my NPS tank. They eat brine shrimp and smaller mysis every day. Food gets squirted into the moderate current so that it is brought to them. Their tentacles grab it and pull it into their mouth. Zero issue with them bothering fish. They are in the darkest part of the tank. They have to be on the bottom of the tank and fine sand is necessary. They don't like gravel.
I have a bare bottom tank, would a 3-4” deep Tupperware do the trick to give them sand?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bare bottom tank, would a 3-4” deep Tupperware do the trick to give them sand?
Anemone cups work for me, it eats everyday near the top of the tank with bright light , I know it’s NPS but the light doesn’t bother it either. I like the anemone cup so it has no chance of stinging corals

Attachments

• 3B44B3C2-2507-4D76-8A93-846C8D4D6E8C.jpeg
    3B44B3C2-2507-4D76-8A93-846C8D4D6E8C.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 465
OP
OP
footgal

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone cups work for me, it eats everyday near the top of the tank with bright light , I know it’s NPS but the light doesn’t bother it either. I like the anemone cup so it has no chance of stinging corals
That looks great! Do you buy the anemone with the tube or did it form it’s own tube so it fit in the nem cup?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks great! Do you buy the anemone with the tube or did it form it’s own tube so it fit in the nem cup?

Thank you, I simply moved some sand added a small rock or two into the cup and made a hole like planting a a plant , the tube anemone made its own tube once in the cup,

OP
OP
footgal

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I simply moved some sand added a small rock or two into the cup and made a hole like planting a a plant , the tube anemone made its own tube once in the cup,
Thanks!! I might have to do this, I’m terrified about the nem stinging all my coral but that’s a great solution! Thank you!

LacViet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2. They stay in the conner bottom of the tank. Light doesn’t seems to bother them at all. I feed them once a day same food as i feed the fish: frozen mysis, chopped shrimps, squid, brine shrimp. They can eat like pig if you feed them.
C46BD717-E114-4F8A-9594-0964CE9BED80.jpeg

OP
OP
footgal

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2. They stay in the conner bottom of the tank. Light doesn’t seems to bother them at all. I feed them once a day same food as i feed the fish: frozen mysis, chopped shrimps, squid, brine shrimp. They can eat like pig if you feed them.
C46BD717-E114-4F8A-9594-0964CE9BED80.jpeg
Wow they look great! No issues with the fish?

LacViet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow they look great! No issues with the fish?
No issue with the fish, but it did ate one of my saltwater ghost shrimp due to the shrimp fault. I released a few ghost shrimp to the tank and one of them dived straight to the mouth so it got eaten; other than that, no issue, not even with sexy shrimps that live on the RFA 6in or so away. In the pic, you can see the sexy shrimp on top rock that it wondering around this area.

OP
OP
footgal

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issue with the fish, but it did ate one of my saltwater ghost shrimp due to the shrimp fault. I released a few ghost shrimp to the tank and one of them dived straight to the mouth so it got eaten; other than that, no issue, not even with sexy shrimps that live on the RFA 6in or so away. In the pic, you can see the sexy shrimp on top rock that it wondering around this area.
Lovely, thank you!

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that sounds AWESOME!!! Kind of like the one I’m looking at. I can’t decide between the purple and green or hot pink and green
Porque no los dos? Haha that was my choice to , you really can’t go wrong I just like purple more

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s purple and the mouth is a bright neon green, they purple tentacles have dots of green in them also
I've got the same one. It's my smaller of 3 but my favorite.

Wow that sounds AWESOME!!! Kind of like the one I’m looking at. I can’t decide between the purple and green or hot pink and green

Tubes are pretty fantastic. I also have never seen them care about fish but did have a new addition cleaner scrymp go right into ones mouth.

Good info above. My tubes are not at all picky with food. Mysis, brine, flake, shrimp meat, oyster meat, they go crazy for everything.

When I bought my tank one of my tubes was not in the sand at all. It was attached to a deep hole in some rock work and seemed to be just fine there as it had been there for years. It had a good cocoon built up and was anchored with the little worm end.

Be aware that they CAN move. Two of my three have moved from where I put them. One moved a few inches, one moved across the tank and behind a wall. I think they were too close to each other which causes the move.

They really need double their tentacle length of space away from anything else. They literally double their size at night and can reach out and touch someone.

Id say go with it but be careful about who you buy from. IF you are looking online, do not go with NYC fish n corals. They're a chop shop.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the same one. It's my smaller of 3 but my favorite.

Tubes are pretty fantastic. I also have never seen them care about fish but did have a new addition cleaner scrymp go right into ones mouth.

Good info above. My tubes are not at all picky with food. Mysis, brine, flake, shrimp meat, oyster meat, they go crazy for everything.

When I bought my tank one of my tubes was not in the sand at all. It was attached to a deep hole in some rock work and seemed to be just fine there as it had been there for years. It had a good cocoon built up and was anchored with the little worm end.

Be aware that they CAN move. Two of my three have moved from where I put them. One moved a few inches, one moved across the tank and behind a wall. I think they were too close to each other which causes the move.

They really need double their tentacle length of space away from anything else. They literally double their size at night and can reach out and touch someone.

Id say go with it but be careful about who you buy from. IF you are looking online, do not go with NYC fish n corals. They're a chop shop.
My girl liked them to , until I told her it’s actually a worm haha but a pretty one! Ye seeing them without their tube was pretty interesting

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back