Tube like growth on chalice skeleton?

musaabi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 11, 2021
Messages
1,045
Reaction score
1,278
Location
Long Beach
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I’m doing some maintenance today and I was moving my chalice when I noticed this growth on it. I’ve seen these guys on a rock I have in my sump that has fan worms on it so I figured they were baby worms until I saw them on the skeleton of my chalice. One was heavily infested while the others had only a few on them. I tried searching and couldn’t get anything on it so uploading them here.
They’re soft and scrape off pretty easily and I scraped them off the few corals I have in the sand but will need a more thorough cleaning. I figured if it’s on the Skelton than they can’t be good for the coral. I haven’t seen any damage to the chalice and it extends every night as well. I also dipped all my corals so not sure where it could have came from unless it survived the dip. Also there’s no movement from them when I was scrapping them off or touching.

348FC5E7-E75D-4287-BEF0-D3529DE6ADA1.jpeg 7CA0EAF4-E8DE-482C-B5C2-06954F2DF97A.jpeg 5183EFF3-5F12-4576-AACD-DD5F5367C622.jpeg 0AE43F26-3338-462F-B8BD-B108121BBE44.jpeg
 
Hard to tell but may be sponges or tunicates.
Best to scrape anything off the chalice plug anyways as it will be easily irritated then mount it onto a bigger plug or glue it to a rock. Its ready to encrust :)
 
Appears to be sponge. While you have frag out, you can scrape it off with a paring knife and rinse in a cup of tank water and return coral to the tank
 
I have heard a few conflicting stories about sponges and have a good amount of them in my tank some people say there harmless and are a good indication of a healthy system and others say that they can leak toxins in to your system and tbh i dont know what is right lol could someone help to clarify this please??

Thanks in advance guys :cool:
 
I have heard a few conflicting stories about sponges and have a good amount of them in my tank some people say there harmless and are a good indication of a healthy system and others say that they can leak toxins in to your system and tbh i dont know what is right lol could someone help to clarify this please??

Thanks in advance guys :cool:
Healthy system? My tank has been up since feb and was just battling a Dino issue from having too clean of a tank. They did seem to flourish at that point however so maybe my tank matured rather quickly?
 
Healthy system? My tank has been up since feb and was just battling a Dino issue from having too clean of a tank. They did seem to flourish at that point however so maybe my tank matured rather quickly?
They look like pineapple sponges to me. Harmless but sometimes can upset certain corals. I had thousands of them about a year ago and now I can't find a single one.
 
They look like pineapple sponges to me. Harmless but sometimes can upset certain corals. I had thousands of them about a year ago and now I can't find a single one.
Any natural way of getting rid of them?
 
Any natural way of getting rid of them?
Not that I know of. In every tank I've had them in their population explodes then collapses. I just picked them off if they were bothering a coral and left the ones growing else where. They filter the water column so they never bothered me
 
So can be a nuisance then. I shall keep a close eye on my corals and be prepared to pick off a few if needs be lol thanks for the info guys :) also out of interest what salt mix dose everyone use?
 
So can be a nuisance then. I shall keep a close eye on my corals and be prepared to pick off a few if needs be lol thanks for the info guys :) also out of interest what salt mix dose everyone use?
I’m using tropic marine pro
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new