Tube nem keeps leaving PVC pipe

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3FA04195-CD25-4B9B-899F-5626B32D5397.jpeg
I recently bought a pink tube anemone and was told that a pvc pipe will do for allowing it to create its tube. The problem is after a few days of staying in, it floats out and stings all my coral during its drifting all over the tank. I moved it into one of those plastic corrugated tubes used to house wires to see if that would help but it hasn’t. So I had to place a piece of string across the tube to keep it from floating out. Also, I have a bare bottom tank so placing it in the sand isn’t much of an option. I was wondering if anyone has one in a similar tank set up and if so how are you making it work?

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fill the pvc with sand...can even get an endcap so it doesnt come out the bottom. They really do need sand even while in pvc. Or you could try a sandbox and plant it in there....

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@reef lover Do they like low to no flow?

I don’t have specific experience with them, but I just noticed that in both your pictures the anemone seems to have all its tentacles pushed back and blown down, whereas most pictures I’ve seen (i.e. google image search) shows the tentacles up over the anemone with maybe the tips leaning to one side from a gentle current.

OP
OP
Paleozoic_reefer

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So quick update. After work I went to Lowes to get some PVC to fill with sand and when I got home the tube nem had left the corrugated tube and was floating in the tank. It must have gotten blown into my black widow nem because the BW was releasing a thick stream of brown stuff (zooxanthellae?) and it’s mouth was wide open with its guts (?) coming out!!! So I thought it was done for...so I built a new tube filled with sand and in a low flow area. it looks Like everything is going well with the BW making a full recovery and the tube nem not having as much flow (I have a net around it only because we leave tomorrow for a vacation and I don’t want to run the risk of it leaving again with I’m out of town!)

BW after the incident:
F309BD0C-D1B6-4769-8F29-2B7B5F673597.jpeg

BW now:
3C926891-75F8-4CB7-B38D-256D63ACB531.jpeg

Tube nem in new home
0B4AD8F3-61CC-41B3-966A-5FC07FC2C1FA.jpeg

Thanks!!

6325EBDB-59AA-42F2-820C-DBAEA4728E70.jpeg

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3FA04195-CD25-4B9B-899F-5626B32D5397.jpeg
I recently bought a pink tube anemone and was told that a pvc pipe will do for allowing it to create its tube. The problem is after a few days of staying in, it floats out and stings all my coral during its drifting all over the tank. I moved it into one of those plastic corrugated tubes used to house wires to see if that would help but it hasn’t. So I had to place a piece of string across the tube to keep it from floating out. Also, I have a bare bottom tank so placing it in the sand isn’t much of an option. I was wondering if anyone has one in a similar tank set up and if so how are you making it work?

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They really do need sand. Try filling a capped pvc with sand and bury him in it.

HybridHerp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones at my job I've kept in those quart sized containers you get when you order soup from chinese take out and filled them with several inches of sand. We've had some for at least 6 months now...maybe even over a year I'm not 100% sure. Seem to do well and I think one of them split at one point too.

Back