006864951e00845abd26f4c41c346fe7.jpg
it is about 8.23

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,

I also tried this method from 7.5 down to 7.3, but then I jumped to 6.99-7.00 in my CaRx Ph since Alk was falling. At 7.0, my alk started rising slowly so I slowed down the effluent from 200ml per minute to ~80ml per minute.

For the next 3 days things were stable, but now my effluent has stopped completely.

I have a brand new Geo618 with AP Carbon doser and am using Apex 2016.

That clogging is what I wanted to avoid but everyone says that Ph above 7 doesnt dissolve the media as intended.

Before I start rigging it with a Benz fuel filter, Id like to understand why this happens.

SinCityRee4r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes running a steady flow effluent a little more than a constant drip with constant co2 flow. I am not cycling co2 on and off because I have a solenoid and I’m not sure it would be good to short cycle on and off like a co2 doser setup. I adjust my effluent flow to adjust PH in reactor. CA reactor feed pump is a mj1200

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,

I also tried this method from 7.5 down to 7.3, but then I jumped to 6.99-7.00 in my CaRx Ph since Alk was falling. At 7.0, my alk started rising slowly so I slowed down the effluent from 200ml per minute to ~80ml per minute.

For the next 3 days things were stable, but now my effluent has stopped completely.

I have a brand new Geo618 with AP Carbon doser and am using Apex 2016.

That clogging is what I wanted to avoid but everyone says that Ph above 7 doesnt dissolve the media as intended.

Before I start rigging it with a Benz fuel filter, Id like to understand why this happens.
instead of reducing the effluent, increase ph to 7.1 if 7.0 was raising alk.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
II know. Just been told that from experts here that I should keep pH below 7

If you are happy with the results, then its obviously OK to keep it where it is, but most certainly, the same alk can be delivered daily at lower pH and lower flow. That doesn't mean you need to, but it also means the "experts" (whoever that is) aren't necessarily doing it "wrong".

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are happy with the results, then its obviously OK to keep it where it is, but most certainly, the same alk can be delivered daily at lower pH and lower flow. That doesn't mean you need to, but it also means the "experts" (whoever that is) aren't necessarily doing it "wrong".

I love how you have put it @Randy Holmes-Farley . @Makers Marc - there are quite a lot of ways you can tune a CaRX and some of us prefer to do as lower pH inside the reactor with slower effluent rate . All I can say - test your alk atleast every 24 hrs if not more - I do every 12 hours during the tuning phase of your reactor. Once its dialed in , you can reduce the testing frequency.

Regards,
Abhishek

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which as we have discussed, can be attained in different ways. lol
correct but as he mentioned at lower flow his output is clogging. That’s why I said keep the ph what his tank needs. With the higher flow it was working. He doesn’t need to worry about having to keep lower ph in the reactor because someone else does.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
correct but as he mentioned at lower flow his output is clogging. That’s why I said keep the ph what his tank needs. With the higher flow it was working. He doesn’t need to worry about having to keep lower ph in the reactor because someone else does.

That's certainly a fine reason to stay with what he is doing . :)

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Deltec is using the same filter for their new automatic Ca Reactor, lol . They placed it on the intake side though which is interesting.
https://reefbuilders.com/2018/05/14/cr-twin-tech-is-deltecs-take-on-the-automatic-calcium-reactor/

Can't believe Deltec used Mercedes benz fuel filter . But using on the intake hardly serves the purpose which is to stop the needle valve from getting clogged . I tried it and only right before the needle valve gave the most stable effluent rate .

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question, I keep my effluent pretty wide open yet it still clogs sometimes.
Should I increase the effluent even more?
Should I decrease my bubble count?
Should I cut off the little needle valve and use just regular tubing thus increasing the diameter and making it less likely to clog?

Corey

SinCityRee4r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another question, I keep my effluent pretty wide open yet it still clogs sometimes.
Should I increase the effluent even more?
Should I decrease my bubble count?
Should I cut off the little needle valve and use just regular tubing thus increasing the diameter and making it less likely to clog?

Corey

Are you using an electronic co2 doser or solenoid? I run mine pretty wide open with the needle valve

Back