Tuning your CalRx | Alternate method thats too easy

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meaning.. its too high that my Reborn media won't liquify?

The lower the pH, the more dissolves. Most tanks with most media won't dissolve much at pH 7.4-7.5. If you don't need much, that's going to be fine, if inefficient. I discussed inefficiency at the start of the thread. It may make the tank pH lower than you want, and cost more in CO2 purchases, although I don't know if that's important).

If you need a lot of output (added alk and calcium) from the reactor, it may not meet the tank demand until you lower the pH quite a bit.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lower the pH, the more dissolves. Most tanks with most media won't dissolve much at pH 7.4-7.5. If you don't need much, that's going to be fine, if inefficient. I discussed inefficiency at the start of the thread. It may make the tank pH lower than you want, and cost more in CO2 purchases, although I don't know if that's important).

If you need a lot of output (added alk and calcium) from the reactor, it may not meet the tank demand until you lower the pH quite a bit.
Randy,

Well I did leave out out details of what I need etc. to try and keep the post short. I'm only in month 5 and have a handful of corals only at this point (consumption =0.50dkh/day).

So starting at a higher PH should work for me. I can always lower the range in a day or two.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned earlier, at 7.5 I doubt how much media will melt. If your demand is so low , I would try a few steps :-

1. Set the pH in the reactor to 7.3 and program your controller such that it comes on at higher than 7.3 and off at 7.25. I have found that it needs at least 7.3 pH to start dissolving some media like ARM and Reborn.
2. Set your bubble counter to as low as 1 bubble every 10 sec on your regulator . Easy if you are using carbon doser.
3. Reduce the effluent flow to drips but inorder to tackle clogging use a fuel filter just before the needle valve so that it captures all fine particles that will clog your needle valve. In this case a continuous duty masterflex or watson marlow is extremely helpful but am guessing you are not running a peristaltic pump.

Regards,
Abhishek

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,

Well I did leave out out details of what I need etc. to try and keep the post short. I'm only in month 5 and have a handful of corals only at this point (consumption =0.50dkh/day).

So starting at a higher PH should work for me. I can always lower the range in a day or two.

Yes, it will probably work, but will end up in lower than necessary tank pH. :)

it's counter intuitive, but higher reactor pH leads to lower tank pH at the same alk delivered since it uses more CO2 per amount of media dissolved.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to report that this did the trick!
Added this universal fuel filter from Home Depot. Any will work as long as there are no metal parts. A little tricky to plumb in but so far no leaks and my flow has been perfectly consistent since last night.

B600CD25-1842-4881-8E0B-5ADDB06B9450.jpeg

B1723AF3-6DF7-43C0-8C9D-524EB00417C6.jpeg

You have cracked one of the best kept forgotten secrets in reef keeping history my friend . Learnt recently that the trick is to have the fuel filter plumbed in right before the needle valve to prevent from clogging and you got yourself a stable effluent line . No need for a masterflex .

As for plumbing , I have found 5/16 x 1/4 John guest quick connect works like a charm

IMG_2897.JPG

IMG_2901.JPG

Regards,
Abhishek

IMG_2901.JPG

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have cracked one of the best kept forgotten secrets in reef keeping history my friend . Learnt recently that the trick is to have the fuel filter plumbed in right before the needle valve to prevent from clogging and you got yourself a stable effluent line . No need for a masterflex .

As for plumbing , I have found 5/16 x 1/4 John guest quick connect works like a charm

IMG_2897.JPG

IMG_2901.JPG

Regards,
Abhishek

IMG_2901.JPG
Nice! Link to where you got that fuel filter?? I will happily swap out mine for one that connects easily to the John Guest fittings. Nice work!
The ONLY downside to this method to watch out for is clogging of the filter. It can become clogged with algae if you have a lot of algae on your glass and clean it often. Otherwise it works pretty darn well.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the method with a stream of water and also a peristaltic pump with 55 ml a minute and the tank ph has been the same. If the stream method lowers ph more, it's has to be very close to not noticeable.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Link to where you got that fuel filter?? I will happily swap out mine for one that connects easily to the John Guest fittings. Nice work!
The ONLY downside to this method to watch out for is clogging of the filter. It can become clogged with algae if you have a lot of algae on your glass and clean it often. Otherwise it works pretty darn well.
So did I just read this correctly? Are you suggesting I rig up a way to prevent the effluent from clogging, but now I have to worry about the filter clogging? Lol

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here you go :-

https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/165432/Fuel-Filter-H102WK/

Its a Mercedes Benz fuel filter.

Just so you know, credit for the fuel filter goes to the guy from Wisconsin with 7000 gallons of acros and he never used a peristaltic pump ;)

Regards,
Abhishek

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the method with a stream of water and also a peristaltic pump with 55 ml a minute and the tank ph has been the same. If the stream method lowers ph more, it's has to be very close to not noticeable.

Same as what?

Obviously, different tanks run at different pH values and have different extents of aeration with different types of air. CO2 reactor tanks often run low in pH, so extra CO2 delivered to the tank may be important, but not necessarily always. :)

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as what?

Obviously, different tanks run at different pH values and have different extents of aeration with different types of air. CO2 reactor tanks often run low in pH, so extra CO2 delivered to the tank may be important, but not necessarily always. :)
My tank ran the same ph value as when a full stream at 100 ml a min as when I put a peristaltic pump on dosing 55 ml a min. I actually had to turn my co2 bubblecount to more bubbles per second when I I switched to the pump to hold a lower ph value.

My tank runs at a low ph value of 7.7 to 7.95 each day. I use to chase ph with every known way to raise it but I never noticed any difference in coral growth. I'd consider my growth above average.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank ran the same ph value as when a full stream at 100 ml a min as when I put a peristaltic pump on dosing 55 ml a min. I actually had to turn my co2 bubblecount to more bubbles per second when I I switched to the pump to hold a lower ph value.

My tank runs at a low ph value of 7.7 to 7.95 each day. I use to chase ph with every known way to raise it but I never noticed any difference in coral growth. I'd consider my growth above average.

Maybe your pH is so low because of use, and partly, inefficient use of your CO2. lol

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it was the same before I used a reactor.

OK, I won't debate your experience,, but generally, folks that add CO2 to their aquaria should expect a lower pH. :)

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I won't debate your experience,, but generally, folks that add CO2 to their aquaria should expect a lower pH. :)
I would assume most who run a reactor do experience lower ph. My main post was about going a slower flow with a lower reactor ph not making a difference.

I have done so much to chase ph. I have started to use chaeto on reverse light cycle, installed an ERV system in my house to give my home fresh air, installed a co2 scrubber (This one made a light increase of about .03 - .05) and then once I seen you write how a slower effluent might make your ph higher, I went out and bought a peristaltic pump. The pump at a slower flow did not increase or decrease my tank ph.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume most who run a reactor do experience lower ph. My main post was about going a slower flow with a lower reactor ph not making a difference.

I have done so much to chase ph. I have started to use chaeto on reverse light cycle, installed an ERV system in my house to give my home fresh air, installed a co2 scrubber (This one made a light increase of about .03 - .05) and then once I seen you write how a slower effluent might make your ph right, I went out and bought a peristaltic pump. The pump at a slower flow did not increase or decrease my tank ph.

OK, sorry that didn't help your situation.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did I just read this correctly? Are you suggesting I rig up a way to prevent the effluent from clogging, but now I have to worry about the filter clogging? Lol
I should have clarified further...Yeah it clogged, but it took probably a month or more for it to clog and I'm certain the only reason it clogged was because I had an insane amount of glass algae at the time due to starting to dose nitrates/phosphates. I was cleaning huge clouds of algae from my glass several times a day. It was enough to turn my water cloudy for hours at a time. And it didn't totally clog and stop flowing as it had in the past (prior to the filter), it just slowed down a bit.

Since I no longer have the glass algae problem, I've not experienced any clogging. I only mentioned it to point out that it is possible, though I think under normal conditions is unlikely. I also wonder if it's because of the type of filter I'm using, maybe being too small of a micron?

Prior to using this fuel filter my effluent line would clog and either stop flowing or reduce to a very slow drip at least once a week if not more. So it's still be a drastic improvement even with the one time clogging.

SinCityRee4r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey all i've been getting alot of questions concerning my CalRx setup and how I'm running it, and ever since i got TOTM that question had quadrupled lol. So I've decided to make a video about it..

its a little long so please bare with me and i hope it makes your job easier.

maybe a dumb question here, but will this operate the same with the Milwaukee electric solenoid valve controlling co2 I currently have? I am just getting ready to try this with my apex system. I have just accumulated all my stuff to set thisCA reactor up. also if alk is low do you dose back to your desired level daily?

thanks

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is it as easy as snipping the line and sandwiching this fuel filter between the Geo reactor and needle valve?

Does the stock effluent tubing fit without any modifications or other parts?
Here you go :-

https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/165432/Fuel-Filter-H102WK/

Its a Mercedes Benz fuel filter.

Just so you know, credit for the fuel filter goes to the guy from Wisconsin with 7000 gallons of acros and he never used a peristaltic pump ;)

Regards,
Abhishek

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is it as easy as snipping the line and sandwiching this fuel filter between the Geo reactor and needle valve?

Does the stock effluent tubing fit without any modifications or other parts?

It needs the john guest fittings as I mentioned - 5/16 x 1/4

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back