Tunze 5017 Controller Acting Up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely do not pry it open, there are two phillips screws on the back. Remove the screws to open it up.

Gilez007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same controller. Love it! But I also had a problem when I first hooked it up. The red light would somewhat randomly came on and it just screamed. I would have to unplug it. It would stop for a while and then start again. Of course, as soon as I went away for a couple of days it did it again. When I returned, I soaked the sensors in vinagar and baking soda for about 24 hours. Put it back together, and I have not had a problem since (2 weeks). I hope this is a good approach. I would be interested in hearing your opinion on that cleaning method rvitko?

Very helpful thread thanks.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the baking soda would be counter productive, usually the issue is calcium deposits and vinegar alone works best to clean them off. The too high light is controlled by the float, I suspect that most likely the magnet holder or a nearby magnet caused it and what fixed it was just moving things a little, the float is a magnetic switch so any nearby magnet or a misaligned magnet holder can set off the float.

Gilez007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the baking soda would be counter productive, usually the issue is calcium deposits and vinegar alone works best to clean them off. The too high light is controlled by the float, I suspect that most likely the magnet holder or a nearby magnet caused it and what fixed it was just moving things a little, the float is a magnetic switch so any nearby magnet or a misaligned magnet holder can set off the float.
Ok that is very interesting. What is a misaligned magnet holder?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the outside magnet is out of alignment with the inside magnet. For the magnet that holds both sensors, they line up so the bottom of each magnet is in line and they are centered side to side. For the magnet that holds only the float, they need to mirror each other. The float position in both cases is a sweet spot where the magnetic field is cancelled, any side to side offset, too thin a pane for mounting or unevenness such as overlapping on trim, will affect the float as it prevents the cancellation of the magnetic field.

Kolby’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only too low, this normally means your pump ran 10 minutes and timed out, if it comes on within a minute of powering up the controller, it means the settings on the controller were erased, we can reset them if that is the case.
my pump is doing this can you fix it? where do i send it in to and how much

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kolby,

Can you clarify? Pumps cannot be fixed, they are replaced, they are a sealed unit, if your controller shows a too low light in under a minute, this is a controller issue and the controller needs to be reprogrammed.

DiazE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this unit with a waterbox 20 and it has been a pita constantly effecting my s.g. Will go back to float switches like faithful jbj ato. Hate optical sensors.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a 20 gallon tank? This is a system for larger systems, the Nano Osmolator is more appropriate for a small system, it can be made to work reliably as follows-

3) There is a 3rd possibility but this is relatively obscure and only will apply to tanks under 50 gallons or due to a misunderstanding of how the Osmolator works. The Osmolator has timed functions in addition to sensor controlled functions and for the first 25-30 seconds it is not actually detecting water levels and is instead running a series of self diagnostic tests. The pump will always run for 15-20 seconds when you
first power it up, this is so the installer can verify the pump is operational and the pump and tubing are primed and ready to fill. Also, the Osmolator always waits 5 seconds to fill to account for waves and surface movement and overfills for 5 seconds so the pump is cycled on less often. If the tank is under 50 gallons you need to open the controller and reduce the pump speed to “nano” and if it is under 30, an additional restriction such as a drip irrigation valve might be needed, this will reduce the amount of water added by these timed sequences to avoid raising the float.

Back