Tunze 5017 Controller Acting Up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Djannel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tunze or ,

I have owned the Tunze Osmolator 3155 for a year now without any issues until today :sad:

Came home and was greeted with the alarm that usually indicates the water is way above the float switch.

I opened the sump doors and the 5017 controller had the "Too High" and "Too Low" lights on and the water level was normal which meant that the float switch was not raised. I unplugged the 5017 Controller, plugged it in again and the same problem persists. I'm hoping that the controller did not die on me. I kept the Controller on the back of the tank to avoid any water creeping into it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated !!

Thanks.

JimmyZ19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean out the AC adapter port with a small q tip and rubbing alcohol. You might not be getting a good connection due to some corrosion. I've had to do it a few times and it fixes my problem. Might be something else but worth a shot. You can probably tell by looking at it if it's in need of some TLC. Sounds like it could very well be something else though.

JimmyZ19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also... Even as careful as we are out electronics are still exposed to certain levels of humidity which over time has it's negative effect...

HarlequinD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had an issue with mine somewhat similar and it was the pump that was malfunctioning. Frustrating

OP
OP
Djannel

Djannel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,

I'll try these suggestions and hope for the best, will report back with status.

OP
OP
Djannel

Djannel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaned everything and I am still getting the same thing, both lights are solid along with the alarm and it won't shut off unless it's disconnected. I'm hoping Tunze can chime in to see what might be the problem.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two lights, too high and too low generally indicate either water damage or electromagnetic interference. I would first open the controller and inspect for any water damage, this would not be repairable but we could discount a replacement. Then I would suspect any changes made, tidying wires, new equipment, anything moved. The sensor wires can act as an antennae and carry sources of interference, they should never be bundled with other wires including the osmo pump wire.

OP
OP
Djannel

Djannel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi RVitko,

I opened the unit last night to check if anything was loose or not and did not see any visible water damage or anything else that seemed abnormal. Regarding the wires, I will tidy up everything tonight and see if it anything changes and will keep you posted.

Thanks for the prompt response.

OP
OP
Djannel

Djannel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I opened the device again and snapped up a few pictures to see if there's anything you can probably point out that might be the problem. I also plugged it in and still gives me the same lights with the constant alarm.

Attachments

• 1391563500859.jpg
    1391563500859.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 2,270
  • 1391563509942.jpg
    1391563509942.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,549

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The image is not the clearest, I see two potential issues. In the bottom picture it looks like their may be some water damage under the speaker (small round black item center top, seems to be a green crust. That could be just some glare.

The other issues is the float wire is passing over the processor, this is a sure cause of interference as the float wire is acting like an antenna and bringing it right to the processor. The processor is the black square chip to the right of the speaker. Reroute that wire lower through the LED's. After that I might test it in a kitchen or bathroom away from sources of interference, if it works, we know it is a magnetic interference issue, this alone may solve it but it may be a device near the tank that is the source.

OP
OP
Djannel

Djannel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, ok, will test all of that tonight. Regarding the devices that might be causing interference, I only have the Return Pump in the same area where the Tunze Eye is placed. I'll snap a couple of pictures of the sump and keep you updated with the interference, hopefully that resolves the issue.

Thanks once again for the prompt assistance.

OP
OP
Djannel

Djannel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I took a look at the speaker and the inside is actually a shiny metal. I also moved the cable to the opposite position, plugged it in and still get the same alarm with both lights. I am stumped and I know for a fact that the unit did not get wet since is nowhere near the sump.

Attachments

• 1391651728747.jpg
    1391651728747.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,589
OP
OP
Djannel

Djannel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here is the sump. Btw, totally unrelated, the 9410 I have from you guys is one heck of a skimmer.

Attachments

• 1391651887979.jpg
    1391651887979.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 939

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please send in the controller, it would be worth trying it in the kitchen or bathroom first just to rule out any ballasts, controllers, etc that may be causing interference, but I think besides that we have exhausted the troubleshooting. Include the controller, power supply and pump and a note with return address and phone number.

Tunze USA
2121 Cole Springs Rd
Buda TX 78610

Last edited:
OP
OP
Djannel

Djannel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do Tunze, thanks for the troubleshooting help.

Do I address it to anybody in particular?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My name is Roger Vitko and I will be doing the repair. I have a son due to be born in a few weeks and during the short time I am out some repairs may be done by Fabian Tunze who is here to help out. No need to address it to anyone, just 3 of us here and we typically handle repairs the day after they come in.

OP
OP
Djannel

Djannel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Roger, the package went out yesterday and it should be there by Monday.

Congrats on your newborn and good luck on the many sleepless nights ahead of you.

Thanks once again for all your help.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A solid too high red light and blinking too low red light with beeping is the water damage indicator. The most common cause is repairable in most cases (plugging the power supply tip in after the tip fell in water).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back