Tunze 5017 Flashing Red Light (Solenoid)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening.

I have a Tunze 5017 purchased new last November. It’s been operating fine over the past year with a Tunzi solenoid valve 8555.200. Earlier today I noticed that the too low red light was flashing and the water level was low in the sump. I unplugged the 5017, waited a few minutes and plugged it back in. As customary, the 5017 beeped and the solenoid opened. It remained open for about 15 seconds and shut off with the red light flashing again. I have repeated this cycle several times. I reversed the polarity on the solenoid which had no effect. I took the solenoid off of the waterline repeated and made sure there was no obstruction with the solenoid opening closing in concert with the powering up of the 5017.

I have a trip planned out of town this weekend and will have to cancel it if I’m unable to get this issue remedied by Thursday.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which light is flashing, I assume too low? If this comes on after 15 seconds and is the only light on, it generally means a power surge has erased the software settings so it has no timers, calibration, etc and has reverted to this error code. This can be repaired but not within such a time frame, it would need to be sent in and I can reboot the software. I can have that done within a day of receipt and we generally ship back Priority Mail which takes 2-3 days. If the too high light is also on, this is generally an indicator the controller was water damaged and this may or may not be repairable. I am not sure how long you will be gone for but in many cases you can simply overfill the aquarium with dilute saltwater or have someone check in every other day and top off.

OP
OP
Stylo328

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply. I took a small video of exactly what is happening when I turn the unit on.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is just erased software settings. I can restore the software, my experience is this will generally be caused by switching the Osmolator with another controller or a power surge due to a storm.

OP
OP
Stylo328

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. How do I get the unit back to you? Do I need to send a copy of the receipt as well?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just need the controller with attached sensors, the best way for speed and cost is a flat rate small priority mail box, 2-3 days and about $7.

Tunze USA
2121 Cole Springs Rd
Buda TX 78610

Just include a note with return address and phone number in the box.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stylo328

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the info. It was mailed today. Unfortunately we had to cancel our trip. Reeftanks truly are a labor of love...

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very sorry I didn't have a faster solution.

Dream54ing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Rodger, I know this is a old thread, but I’m experiencing the similar problem. Everything was working fine, until last week it started to act up. Unplugged and plugged it back in to reset everything, but didn’t work... when the water is low the pump will pump for couple of seconds and then stops. It beeps and all 4 lights would come on then off. pump tries to kick on again, it shuts off again after a few seconds. This repeats till I unplug the unit

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump is bad. It is causing an overload which causes it to shut off and restart. If it is less than 2 years old the pump is under warranty, they should last 2-3 years. They cost about $24 to replace.

Dream54ing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump is bad. It is causing an overload which causes it to shut off and restart. If it is less than 2 years old the pump is under warranty, they should last 2-3 years. They cost about $24 to replace.
Thanks for the quick reply. Its definitely under 2 yrs, but I will just order to replace if its only $24. If problem continues, i'll contact you. Thanks again!!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back