Tunze 5017 not filling to sensor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

|sCRIBe|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I cycle the power the units lights all come on at the same time then shut off. The unit proceeds to add water but stops no where near either of the sensors. The level light stays on. I’ve cleaned the sensors but the problem still continues. Unit is about one year bought new.

Last edited:

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be an optic sensor issue. I would start with soaking the optic sensor in vinegar for an hour and make sure it is not being affected by a growlight spectrum light (infrared light source). Typically after 6+ months mineral deposits blind the optic sensor. They always fill for 15-20 seconds on start up as part of a self diagnostic test. If cleaning does not solve this issue, the optic sensor or calibration is faulty and we would need to get it back here for repair.

OP
OP
|sCRIBe|

|sCRIBe|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I soaked and cleaned the sensor in vinegar like you suggested. The controller turns on, all lights flash then the unit starts to fill. It continues to fill long past 15sec until it triggers the float at which point it shuts off. When I cycle the power all lights flash then all off, then level light and too high light are solid. Level light will occasionally flash but mostly solid with too high solid. Did this controller loose it’s program?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems the optic sensor has an issue or the calibration, a flashing level light means it has detected the water is gone, but is in a 5 second delay before filling again. The only "normal" things that can cause this is bubbles accumulating on the sensor and besides a nearby skimmer or drain, the top off hose itself is the main cause of this and should not be near the sensor. Other than bubbles, refugium grow lights emit infrared and may blind the sensor which uses infrared to detect air vs water.

OP
OP
|sCRIBe|

|sCRIBe|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems the optic sensor has an issue or the calibration, a flashing level light means it has detected the water is gone, but is in a 5 second delay before filling again. The only "normal" things that can cause this is bubbles accumulating on the sensor and besides a nearby skimmer or drain, the top off hose itself is the main cause of this and should not be near the sensor. Other than bubbles, refugium grow lights emit infrared and may blind the sensor which uses infrared to detect air vs water.
I don’t have a refugium or any light below, it stays dark. The hose is near the sensor but it’s always worked for the the past year so I don’t know why suddenly that would be a problem. I will relocate the hose but if that doesn’t work what do you suggest I do?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is none of those, it needs to come in for repair, either the calibration is off for the switching point or the sensor is failing. I typically complete such a repair within a day. I only need part 5017.000, the controller with attached sensors and a note with your return and contact info-

Tunze USA
305 Victor St
Austin TX 78753

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is none of those, it needs to come in for repair, either the calibration is off for the switching point or the sensor is failing. I typically complete such a repair within a day. I only need part 5017.000, the controller with attached sensors and a note with your return and contact info-

Tunze USA
305 Victor St
Austin TX 78753
Hi - i am having an issue with my ATO as well.. the float valve is stopping the water (which sets the loud alarm off).,. can the optical sensor just be replaced, or does the entire unit need to be sent in?

on a side note, I love the idea of optical sensors, but i have a few other brands that use them and they seem to fail often (about a year). floats seem to be die-hard.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Floats are generally less reliable, they rely on a mechanical reed switch which wears out, they typically last 3-4 years when it is the primary switch and this varies with how often it is cycled and the quality of the switch, they also are much less precise, they usually allow a 2-4mm variation in water level.

When we replace an optic sensor, we need to calibrate the controller to the sensor and in some cases, the only issue is calibration and the sensor is fine. Make sure that the cause is not simply that the tank or compartment is small and the time delays are letting it run until it raises the float, this generally is an issue on system under 50 gallons and is solved by lowering the pump speed. Also, the optic sensor works on infrared and can be blinded by refugium grow lights and does not differentiate between bubbles and being dry, it simply detects air/water.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Floats are generally less reliable, they rely on a mechanical reed switch which wears out, they typically last 3-4 years when it is the primary switch and this varies with how often it is cycled and the quality of the switch, they also are much less precise, they usually allow a 2-4mm variation in water level.

When we replace an optic sensor, we need to calibrate the controller to the sensor and in some cases, the only issue is calibration and the sensor is fine. Make sure that the cause is not simply that the tank or compartment is small and the time delays are letting it run until it raises the float, this generally is an issue on system under 50 gallons and is solved by lowering the pump speed. Also, the optic sensor works on infrared and can be blinded by refugium grow lights and does not differentiate between bubbles and being dry, it simply detects air/water.
I literally just emailed Tunze this morning as i am having the exact same issue. 6 month old. Just gave it a vinegar bath and still having the problem. Hopefully Tunze has an answer for me.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thanks for the response. the ATO hasn't moved in a while and only recently started having the issue. my system is about 350g total and the sensor sits in the last compartment of a trigger platinum (the largest with the fleece roller). there really are no bubbles there (good skimmer setup and bubble break) and I have no fuge (and therefore no fuge light). I did take out the senor and wipe it down.. it looked clean and nothing came off it..

So now i need to figure out if this is fixable or I need to go find a new ATO. thoughts?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is absolutely fixable, if you send it in, assuming it is newer than 2012, I can repair it. We will generally have it done within one business day.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back