Tunze 9001 continuously overflowing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

No matter what height / location / tune of knob the skimmer cup overflows.

I've had the skimmer for 2 years and I clean it once every 6 ish months. It works for like a day or two after cleaning but than it overflows.

The bubbles come up sooo thick that they just fill the cup in 30 mins. I've raised the skimmer way above the elevation marked on the skimmer body.

I've practically given up on the skimmer unless someone else has a solution.. maybe it's just broken?

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue, cup was filling daily. I really like this skimmer and its the highest capacity one that will fit in one of back compartments in my all-in-one frag tank. I spend God know how long to design and 3d print a taller collection chamber for it. now I run it at full blown air chamber open and it skims nicely, since the collection neck is extended. I also included a nozzle with a cap in case if I ever want to connect it to an external collection canister. Will send pics later.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue, cup was filling daily. I really like this skimmer and its the highest capacity one that will fit in one of back compartments in my all-in-one frag tank. I spend God know how long to design and 3d print a taller collection chamber for it. now I run it at full blown air chamber open and it skims nicely, since the collection neck is extended. I also included a nozzle with a cap in case if I ever want to connect it to an external collection canister. Will send pics later.
Can you let me buy one?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would generally set the depth so the marked water line on the skimmer body is 1/2" above the actual water line. This marked water line is the maximum depth, 1" below it is the minimum. I would generally suspect an additive is the cause if you have very dense foam. Aminos, vitamins, stress coat, dechlorinator, will all cause this reaction, dechlorinator tends to be one of the worst and there is no reason to use dechlorinator if you use RO water. Any organic additive can cause such a reaction. Weak organic Ion exchange resin and non phenol free floss can also cause this reaction, this will usually be Seachem Purigen or using floss intended for upholstery and not aquarium use.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would generally set the depth so the marked water line on the skimmer body is 1/2" above the actual water line. This marked water line is the maximum depth, 1" below it is the minimum. I would generally suspect an additive is the cause if you have very dense foam. Aminos, vitamins, stress coat, dechlorinator, will all cause this reaction, dechlorinator tends to be one of the worst and there is no reason to use dechlorinator if you use RO water. Any organic additive can cause such a reaction. Weak organic Ion exchange resin and non phenol free floss can also cause this reaction, this will usually be Seachem Purigen or using floss intended for upholstery and not aquarium use.
I have filter floss and chemi pure and that's it

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water is just RO with salt mix? No organic additives are routinely used, such as a bacteria, or any of the ones I listed previously?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the pump ever struggle to start?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am at a loss as to why you would have this issue. The skimmer itself is so mechanically simple that there is little mechanically that could cause this besides an oversized impeller, but they they struggle to start. If they are submerged too shallow, the air control doesn't work as it has virtually unlimited access to air. One thing I have seen cause issues but usually no skimming, is the plate under the cup can be pushed in, this plate just sits on a shelf, it should not be pressed in, and it should be convex side up.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am at a loss as to why you would have this issue. The skimmer itself is so mechanically simple that there is little mechanically that could cause this besides an oversized impeller, but they they struggle to start. If they are submerged too shallow, the air control doesn't work as it has virtually unlimited access to air. One thing I have seen cause issues but usually no skimming, is the plate under the cup can be pushed in, this plate just sits on a shelf, it should not be pressed in, and it should be convex side up.
Maybe I need to raise it a tremendous amount ? I really don't know I'm about to give up on it.

I've thoroughly cleaned it not too long ago thinking maybe something wasn't running right but I inspected everything.

I constantly push the plate down when emptying the cup.

I can send some photos tonight

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The range is from the marked wavy line on the front, this is pressed into the plastic body, and up to 1" below that, too shallow will eliminate any control as it can take in atmospheric air directly.

Please, photos might help.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The range is from the marked wavy line on the front, this is pressed into the plastic body, and up to 1" below that, too shallow will eliminate any control as it can take in atmospheric air directly.

Please, photos might help.
I always kept it at or above. Photos to follow

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some questions:

If I lower it into water lower than wave that would result in cup filling too quickly?

If I raise it to the max allowed height of 1" below wave exposed and left knob fully open it would almost skim nothing ?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all cases it would skim, but it would fill very quick when water is too high and this also will lead to salt creep clogging the airline.

If 1" down, it should be possible to tune it to skim fairly dry, small skimmers don't give the space for a very dry thick foam to form, but it would be darker, generally this skimmer will produce a more watery skimmate, more of an iced tea color. I have generally found right in the middle, so the water line is about 1/2" above the actual water line and the air is closed about 1/3rd of the travel (assuming this is an AC model) it should work properly and skim so the cup fills in around 4-5 days in most tanks with an iced tea colored skim.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all cases it would skim, but it would fill very quick when water is too high and this also will lead to salt creep clogging the airline.

If 1" down, it should be possible to tune it to skim fairly dry, small skimmers don't give the space for a very dry thick foam to form, but it would be darker, generally this skimmer will produce a more watery skimmate, more of an iced tea color. I have generally found right in the middle, so the water line is about 1/2" above the actual water line and the air is closed about 1/3rd of the travel (assuming this is an AC model) it should work properly and skim so the cup fills in around 4-5 days in most tanks with an iced tea colored skim.
It fills in several hours so something wrong. Either user error or skimmer.

Would DC help?

Could the airline be clogged ?

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's where it is and it's spewing everywhere. The lid is getting blown off

Attachments

• PXL_20210412_223012289.jpg
    PXL_20210412_223012289.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 114
OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I moved up where 1" above water and it won't even come above the plate

Attachments

• PXL_20210412_223632384.jpg
    PXL_20210412_223632384.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 110

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the taller cup I designed and 3d printed. Larger chamber, so less frequent need to empty, also longer neck results in more skimmate and less water being drawn. That allowed me to drop it at max depth, open up air flow all the way to get proper gas exchange too without drawing water into the collection cup (given a longer neck). Finally, I have also added a line out on the side (with a cap) if I ever travel and want the excess to be collected in an external canister.

5A3ADF59-0683-46D8-A274-A3DD601FA01C.jpeg
AF4A332A-1D29-4E7F-97C4-E23CD5BC6EE6.jpeg

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the taller cup I designed and 3d printed. Larger chamber, so less frequent need to empty, also longer neck results in more skimmate and less water being drawn. That allowed me to drop it at max depth, open up air flow all the way to get proper gas exchange too without drawing water into the collection cup (given a longer neck). Finally, I have also added a line out on the side (with a cap) if I ever travel and want the excess to be collected in an external canister.

5A3ADF59-0683-46D8-A274-A3DD601FA01C.jpeg
AF4A332A-1D29-4E7F-97C4-E23CD5BC6EE6.jpeg
Can I buy one ??

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try my suggestion of around 1/2". We never want the bubbling water to be what is rising up so the second condition is closer to what we want, what should rise up is a dense meringue foam and not the bubbling water itself and this takes time to form.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back