Tunze 9001 continuously overflowing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try my suggestion of around 1/2". We never want the bubbling water to be what is rising up so the second condition is closer to what we want, what should rise up is a dense meringue foam and not the bubbling water itself and this takes time to form.
It appeared to be running decently this morning.

Will report back. Wish manual had mentioned water line

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can confirm... the skimmer is running much better now. I will continue to report back as I let it settle in more and more. I always thought it had to be right at that wave mark.

As mentioned, wish that was in the manual

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following up again..

After skimming like a champ for a week. It's back to not tuned and overflowing.

I changed literally nothing - this skimmer is the most frustrating thing ahhhh

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

No matter what height / location / tune of knob the skimmer cup overflows.

I've had the skimmer for 2 years and I clean it once every 6 ish months. It works for like a day or two after cleaning but than it overflows.

The bubbles come up sooo thick that they just fill the cup in 30 mins. I've raised the skimmer way above the elevation marked on the skimmer body.

I've practically given up on the skimmer unless s
Howdy,

No matter what height / location / tune of knob the skimmer cup overflows.

I've had the skimmer for 2 years and I clean it once every 6 ish months. It works for like a day or two after cleaning but than it overflows.

The bubbles come up sooo thick that they just fill the cup in 30 mins. I've raised the skimmer way above the elevation marked on the skimmer body.

I've practically given up on the skimmer unless someone else has a solution.. maybe it's just broken?
I have same skimmer and had same issue. Struggled and was so frustrated with it for months and months. I contacted Tunze and was told to “raise skimmer about 1/2” under water mark level, only open air intake valve about a third of the way”. I did it helped but still don’t love this skimmer especially for the price ($120). It does skim wet but cup shouldn’t fill up that quickly typical a few days 3-5 I find anyway suppose all depends on tanks bioload. Hope this helps.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be normal for the skimmer cup to be full in about 4-5 days. The skimmer cup is small and in general small skimmers skim wet, with less height there is not the space for foam to dry.

Hallowhead, Did the water level change? Are you using any sort of organic additive or possibly using non aquarium specific floss or filter pads or seachem purigen? These all have a surfactant affect and act much like detergent and affect the travel of bubbles and cause more intense foaming. Any additive that is not simply a mineral or trace element can cause this and floss that is not intended for aquariums typically has phenol in it, this can be removed by a long hot water rinse.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be normal for the skimmer cup to be full in about 4-5 days. The skimmer cup is small and in general small skimmers skim wet, with less height there is not the space for foam to dry.

Hallowhead, Did the water level change? Are you using any sort of organic additive or possibly using non aquarium specific floss or filter pads or seachem purigen? These all have a surfactant affect and act much like detergent and affect the travel of bubbles and cause more intense foaming. Any additive that is not simply a mineral or trace element can cause this and floss that is not intended for aquariums typically has phenol in it, this can be removed by a long hot water rinse.
I can confirm after following some advice above I'm getting much darker skim and it's not filling up in one day. I empty it maybe 2 times a week but let's call it 1.5 times.

The water level is consistent and I do use purigen and chemipure blue

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purigen is the likely culprit here, generally this product is intended to replace a skimmer where a skimmer is not suitable, it removes the same organics as the skimmer and the exchange affects the surface tension and will cause very wet skimming.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purigen is the likely culprit here, generally this product is intended to replace a skimmer where a skimmer is not suitable, it removes the same organics as the skimmer and the exchange affects the surface tension and will cause very wet skimming.
It was even worse before I added purigen

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back