Tunze 9004 DC skimmer pump

Tod Brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help finding out where to order a new skimmer pump for my Tunze 9004 DC skimmer. It’s not producing any bubbles and I’ve cleaned it several times. I don’t think the pump is pumping at it’s correct flow. I’m in Canada so it’s hard to track down the place to get just a pump from.
Thx

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help finding out where to order a new skimmer pump for my Tunze 9004 DC skimmer. It’s not producing any bubbles and I’ve cleaned it several times. I don’t think the pump is pumping at it’s correct flow. I’m in Canada so it’s hard to track down the place to get just a pump from.
Thx
Is the impeller spinning when you plug it in and the housing is off (you can visually see it spinning). When you took it apart, are you sure the metal rod at the end of the impeller is seated correctly? I think it has a small rubber ferrule type piece that needs to be seated.

Is the air tube hooked up correctly? It has to go to the pump, through the body, and up top to the silencer. It easily gets disconnected or clogged…if it is connected: take it apart and use a brush or blow through it and confirm it’s clear.

I had this skimmer for 4 years before then using its identical big brother for 4 years. They’re good for AIO’s but that tube can get clogged and even sometimes back siphon.

If after connecting and cleaning the tube or after clearing the drive chamber and doing the above, I’d try the US rep, name listed above, and get a backup.

OP
OP
T

Tod Brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the impeller spinning when you plug it in and the housing is off (you can visually see it spinning). When you took it apart, are you sure the metal rod at the end of the impeller is seated correctly? I think it has a small rubber ferrule type piece that needs to be seated.

Is the air tube hooked up correctly? It has to go to the pump, through the body, and up top to the silencer. It easily gets disconnected or clogged…if it is connected: take it apart and use a brush or blow through it and confirm it’s clear.

I had this skimmer for 4 years before then using its identical big brother for 4 years. They’re good for AIO’s but that tube can get clogged and even sometimes back siphon.

If after connecting and cleaning the tube or after clearing the drive chamber and doing the above, I’d try the US rep, name listed above, and get a backup.
Yes to all of your questions

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes to all of your questions
If the impeller is spinning normally and the air line is open and unobstructed, then bubbles will form in the neck.

If there are no air bubbles in the neck, there is no air getting to the pump. Maybe the pump isn’t spinning fast enough (bad controller or power supply). Try blow into the air tube and see if you get bubbles.

Please let us know what Tunze says as I’m curious.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back