Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152-will it work for me?

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at the Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152 for my 20 gallon Aqueon tank. No sump. HOB filter. Just a glass box with water. I am currently using the Hydor smart ATO, but the switch level allows too much water to evaporate before it kicks on, causing salinity swings, which defeats the purpose of the ATO. I lose about 1 gallon to evaporation every 3-4 days, which is when it usually kicks on. So my question is-How sensitive is the sensor on the Tunze? Will it sense evaporation under a gallon in my 20 gallon tank? I would like something that refills the tank a little every day if possible.

OP
OP
ianryd

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might work, but I would also consider the Smart ATO Micro by AutoAqua. The sensor is small enough to fit under the tank's lip and I ran them on 2 sperate nanos.
Thanks. I was looking at that one too. Glad to hear it will fit a rimmed tank. Seems like so many products these days are geared towards rimless. What would you say the measurement between full and low is? 1/2 inch? less?

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the Osmolator Nano in multiple sumpless nanos. It does exactly what you are wanting, multiple fills per day, the water level will barely change, we're talking like 1/16".

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I was looking at that one too. Glad to hear it will fit a rimmed tank. Seems like so many products these days are geared towards rimless. What would you say the measurement between full and low is? 1/2 inch? less?

I couldn't say for certain. The optical sensor is about the size of a penny.

OP
OP
ianryd

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the Osmolator Nano in multiple sumpless nanos. It does exactly what you are wanting, multiple fills per day, the water level will barely change, we're talking like 1/16".
Thanks thats the answer I was hoping for!

OP
OP
ianryd

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the Tunze nano ATO, it has been working great. I added a sump to my system, moved the float switch to the sump, and now the float switch only works some of the time. I am going to contact Tunze about it, but for the future, how could I add some redundancy to this ATO?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the nano on my 25 gal nano cube. It had a sump and evaporated around 4 gallons a week.
Worked very well. I am using it on my 45 frag tank with 40 breeder sump. Keeps salinity stable just like on the nano.

Flatlandreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be somewhat careful with the nano version, I have had the backup float sensor stop my ato on more than one occasion when the optical sensor failed for some reason.

OP
OP
ianryd

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be somewhat careful with the nano version, I have had the backup float sensor stop my ato on more than one occasion when the optical sensor failed for some reason.

Any way to add redundancy to the nano?

Flatlandreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any way to add redundancy to the nano?

the non nano version is the same setup plus a float switch as redundancy. Worth it for sure but I realize you have a somewhat unique situation. You could always limit the size of your ato reservoir and keep your sensor very clean to reduce the chance of failure. The unit shuts off after 30 seconds or so so it won’t keep running if the sensor fails and you can turn the pump speed way down so there are ways to reduce the risk of flooding. Just thought I would share my experience with a word of caution.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I think of it I dont think I would use the nano in a tank. Small snails can get between the float and cause it to get stuck and not go up or down. It happened in my sump once. The gaurd does no protect it from snails imo.

Flatlandreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I think of it I dont think I would use the nano in a tank. Small snails can get between the float and cause it to get stuck and not go up or down. It happened in my sump once. The gaurd does no protect it from snails imo.

the Nano is an optical sensor so it can’t get stuck like a float

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the Nano is an optical sensor so it can’t get stuck like a float
My nano is a float only my 3155 has the optical sensor and float switch for high level alarm.
Forgive the rubberband its holding the gaurd in place. The first is the nano in my frag tank and the second is the 3155 in my 120. Unless they changed the nano as mine is 3 years old it is only a float switch not a optical sensor like the 3155
20200121_192434.jpg
20200121_192453.jpg

Flatlandreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right my bad. I actually have both models but I haven’t used the nano in a long time and forgot it was a float. IMO the float is more reliable.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add, the ATOs with a sensor are said to work best with a sump as the lights can interfere with the sensor so are not the best for an aio.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 21 16.8%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back