Tunze Osmolator Nano on a timer?

aquaman67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all

I’m in the planning stages of an ATO, the Tunze Osmolator Nano for a 50 gallon tank.

Reading the set up instructions I know I need to adjust the fill run time to max.

My understanding is that if the pump runs too long it shuts off until the unit is power cycled (unplugged and plugged in again)

My fear is this will happen while I’m away.

Has anyone used the Tunze Osmolator Nano with a timer that will cut off the power to the unit for say 10 minutes every day? The thought being if the pump faults for some reason it will get reset every day.

Or am I overthinking this?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always keep my ato on timer. It turns on for 2 mins , 4 times a day. This avoids overflowing and always adds water if the sensor fails

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless your sump is half a gallon, it cannot run long enough to overflow anything. I just leave my osmolators plugged in all of the time.

If the pump runs for too long, you probably have a problem like a leak or something. I would want the ATO to stop running. It is made to add a few ounces at a time when it needs it so amounts larger than this are usually bad.

OP
OP
aquaman67

aquaman67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless your sump is half a gallon, it cannot run long enough to overflow anything. I just leave my osmolators plugged in all of the time.

If the pump runs for too long, you probably have a problem like a leak or something. I would want the ATO to stop running. It is made to add a few ounces at a time when it needs it so amounts larger than this are usually bad.

Sorry I didn’t make this clear.

My tank is sumpless.

I’m refilling a 50 gallon tank.

And that brings up another question.

How sensitive is the Tunze Osmolator Nano, meaning how much does the water need to drop before the refill switch is activated?

My tank is 30 inches long and 18 inches wide so all I need is the depth to calculate the amount of water I need.

Someone please check my math is correct.

30 X 18 X 1 = 540

540 /231 = 2.33 gallons.

In the above example a 1” drop equals 2.33 gallons to refill.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Spend the money on the 3155 and don't worry about it. The nano version is okay, but is very simple in design and safety features. I still have my 3155 in use today and it's over 8 years old now, so it's paid for itself several times over. I initially used it on my AIO 22g without issue (and it was full of sps). This past year I sent it in to have the optical sensor replaced (only $35) and it's like having a brand new unit, ready to give me another 8+ years of service. Buy the 3155 and don't look back.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the point of your original question, I get it and don't see any problem with the idea.
I run Osmolator Nano on 40 gallon sumpless tank and never had it run long enough for max run-time shut-off to happen (other than when I've purposely tested that feature).

My float is in the tank (since no sump) and it never runs anywhere near the 2.5 minute max run time. 10-20 seconds seems about normal run time (in my tank).

So, I like the idea for when you're away, just as a safety measure,,, but something abnormal would probably have to happen I think for you to encounter that scenario.
*if it's a leak, then maybe you don't want it to come back on

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can add the auto aqua smart skimmer switch. This would be a fail safe in case the unit stayed on too long.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run all my ATOs on a timer, 3-4 min at the time several times a day.
This way you prevent overfill or underfill and many other issues.

Aquaddictorbj4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add the auto aqua smart skimmer switch. This would be a fail safe in case the unit stayed on too long.
Teh~ Also Autoaqua Level Security can be a fial safe as well

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back