Turbinaria collection/ids

  • Thread starter Thread starter TCoach
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

TCoach

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 21, 2021
Messages
648
Reaction score
611
Location
SC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, starting to build out a Turbinaria collection. Right now only have 4 specimen, but grabbing them anytime I see them at my LFS’s.

1. Turbinaria heroinsis?
IMG_4837.jpeg


2. This one is always happy

IMG_4838.jpeg


3. New this week
IMG_4836.jpeg


4. New yesterday. (Hoping different than 1)

IMG_4835.jpeg

IMG_4826.jpeg



Thanks for any ids and hope y’all enjoy!
-Chris
 
The last Turbinaria I purchased was 15 years ago. It was a nice specimen, 12"x8".for $80!
 
That coral does not appear to be common (if at all) in the trade. So don’t think that is it.
Duncanopsammia peltata was reclassified from Turbinaria, and are identified by their "Duncan-like" polyps, which your first two corals have. Also keep in mind that vendor and collector listings may not always be accurate because of misidentifications and outdated taxonomy.
 
So, starting to build out a Turbinaria collection. Right now only have 4 specimen, but grabbing them anytime I see them at my LFS’s.

1. Turbinaria heroinsis?
IMG_4837.jpeg


2. This one is always happy

IMG_4838.jpeg


3. New this week
IMG_4836.jpeg


4. New yesterday. (Hoping different than 1)

IMG_4835.jpeg

IMG_4826.jpeg



Thanks for any ids and hope y’all enjoy!
-Chris
Would love to see if anyone can ID that 2nd to last one, I’ve been staring at a colony almost identical to that and can’t figure out what it is
 
They're also actually not too uncommon; they're often misidentified as Turbinaria. Here are some online listings:
Vivid Aquariums, listed as Pagoda Cup
Living Reef Orlando, listed as Pagoda Cup
Barrier Reef Aquariums (misIDed as Turbinaria)
LiveAquaria (misIDed as Turbinaria)
Looking at this a few months later but pagoda cups used to be everywhere. I also don't think I had ever heard anyone refer to them as Turbinaria prior to them being reclassified to Duncans, so I don't know how the mislabeling is so prevalent.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new