Turbo Snail - Hair algae destroyer!

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feel like it isn't commonly mentioned when dealing with hair algae to use Turbos, so not sure if mine isn't how they normally are but I just had to mention what a job it has done. Just one lonely turbo snail has taken out almost all the hair algae in my tank, it wasn't an infestation, but it was getting bad. I placed him on a rock the hair algae was the worst on, and the next morning it was completely cleared. And he just moved along all the rocks in the tank doing the same thing over the past week.

They survive on stuff other than hair algae correct? It's a crowned turbo snail, I've only had it for a week but I imagine it'll move to the glass next to clear that of algae but definitely want to keep it alive after seeing what a good job it's done.

Really didn't want to get an urchin due to them making a mess of the tank, or a sea hare that can potentially nuke it, glad I don't have to now.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Feel like it isn't commonly mentioned when dealing with hair algae to use Turbos, so not sure if mine isn't how they normally are but I just had to mention what a job it has done. Just one lonely turbo snail has taken out almost all the hair algae in my tank, it wasn't an infestation, but it was getting bad. I placed him on a rock the hair algae was the worst on, and the next morning it was completely cleared. And he just moved along all the rocks in the tank doing the same thing over the past week.

They survive on stuff other than hair algae correct? It's a crowned turbo snail, I've only had it for a week but I imagine it'll move to the glass next to clear that of algae but definitely want to keep it alive after seeing what a good job it's done.

Really didn't want to get an urchin due to them making a mess of the tank, or a sea hare that can potentially nuke it, glad I don't have to now.
I recommend these and astrea always. Great workers

OP
OP
J

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend these and astrea always. Great workers
I definitely agree, Astreas are the 2nd most populated in my tank and they do everything, constantly working on all surfaces, my nerites are docile until night so it seems like they're just a less efficient astrea. And they're mainly on glass

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love ceriths for how long they live in a tank.
Trochus all die pretty soon.

OP
OP
J

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Mexican Turbo Snails. I think they keep my tanks spotless on hair algae. I get them at http://www.reefcleaners.org/
Yup! That's where I got mine, I went from on the verge of a hair algae take over on all my rocks, to none visible in my tank after adding the Turbo.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back