Turf Algae?

ryanrick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae in thicker patches tears off the rock pretty easily, but it is near impossible to scrub off a powerhead. Perhaps a hydrogen peroxide scrub on the powerheads is in order? Is this turf algae? I currently have 2 clownfish, a tomini tang, a lawnmower blenny.

Temp - 79degF
Nitrate - 0-2 ppm
Ph - 8.0
Alk - 8.3 dKH
Ca - 430 ppm

I have hanna phosphate reagent on the way.

_DSC9323.JPG _DSC9332.JPG _DSC9361.JPG

OP
OP
ryanrick

ryanrick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled about a pound out last weekend.. My urchin can't keep up. I have a crew of snails in QT right now and they ate the algae off a smaller rock that was covered in it. I'm taking that as a good sign.

My nitrates and phosphates are bottomed out so I've been feeding more heavily to avoid dinos. Heavy feeding just makes the algae worse, but I really would like to avoid dinos.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled about a pound out last weekend.. My urchin can't keep up. I have a crew of snails in QT right now and they ate the algae off a smaller rock that was covered in it. I'm taking that as a good sign.

My nitrates and phosphates are bottomed out so I've been feeding more heavily to avoid dinos. Heavy feeding just makes the algae worse, but I really would like to avoid dinos.
If you can’t pull it daily, at least give it a shake. Detritus collects in the algae, further fuelling it, no matter what nutrients are in the water column itself. How long you quarantining the snails for? Sounds like you’ll be good.

OP
OP
ryanrick

ryanrick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would settled detritus locally increase nutrients in the water around the algae? Or is the detritus somehow directly consumed by the algae?

I'm keeping the snails in a fishless system for 45 days. They have 25 days left.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would settled detritus locally increase nutrients in the water around the algae? Or is the detritus somehow directly consumed by the algae?

I'm keeping the snails in a fishless system for 45 days. They have 25 days left.
There’s a low constant nutrient flux from detritus that feeds the algae in nutrient poor water, presumably released by bacteria. Sediment rich turfs also appear more virulent against coral flesh, than none sedimented turfs. A good old turkey baster will slow its progress till the munchers go in.

OP
OP
ryanrick

ryanrick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a low constant nutrient flux from detritus that feeds the algae in nutrient poor water, presumably released by bacteria. Sediment rich turfs also appear more virulent against coral flesh, than none sedimented turfs. A good old turkey baster will slow its progress till the munchers go in.
Can you explain sediment rich turf vs. non-sedimented turf? Is analogous to plants with/without roots?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 83 45.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.4%
Back