Turn my reef into a cooking pot

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow down on feeding, or if you want to get “crazy” stop feeding all together and QT the fish and go fallow to starve them. And drop in - couple aptasia eating filefish and a few peppermint shrimp and just let them run the fallow tank for awhile. Both problems will be gone.

OP
OP
zcedric

zcedric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Veremetids snails are hardly a good reason for a tank tear down. I had them and they slowly went away over time and they never hurt any of my corals in my tank. I think you are other thinking this.

How? did you starve your tank? I know only a few things which could help.. most of them harm the tank more than it will do any good.

OP
OP
zcedric

zcedric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow down on feeding, or if you want to get “crazy” stop feeding all together and QT the fish and go fallow to starve them. And drop in - couple aptasia eating filefish and a few peppermint shrimp and just let them run the fallow tank for awhile. Both problems will be gone.
hm.. i though about starve the tank.. not sure if it would work out..

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chloroquine phosphate will kill pretty much everything except the fish. Once everything is dead, you could just drain the tank and refill with new water to get rid of the CP. CP doesn’t bind to the rock so the tank would be safe for inverts once you re-fill it and run some carbon.

OP
OP
zcedric

zcedric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chloroquine phosphate will kill pretty much everything except the fish. Once everything is dead, you could just drain the tank and refill with new water to get rid of the CP. CP doesn’t bind to the rock so the tank would be safe for inverts once you re-fill it and run some carbon.
yes.. i read about that.. problem is it kills my corals too.. maybe i try the qt fish and starve the tank

OP
OP
zcedric

zcedric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use can use liquid chlorine for pools. It will kill everything and gas out naturally and harmlessly, run your skimmer and you'll be ready to start again, essentially nuking your tank.
totally missed this.
thank you for your input

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pest of vermitted snails (which already killd many of my sps) and somehow i also catched some aipta...

That's ... not something dramatic enough to ask for as dramatic a solution as nuking the full tank. I always had them in my tank with thriving sps. They don't do enough damage that I bet it's not them that killed your sps. If you get down your husbandry (water, light, and flow) to allow your sps to thrive, those snail won't be a trouble at all.

Nuking the tank safely, and more importantly return it to service safely, is a lot more difficult than getting right on sps husbandry. It's not only to just kill off everything. You also need to make sure all dead matter are removed from the tank. Especially for things like vermitted snails, they might died deep in their shells and won't come out easily with washing, and end up decaying within and become nutrients landmine for later. Also if use chemical, they can get in rocks and not come out with just some rinse. If you don't even want to break down the tank for it, you probably won't rinse it enough to make sure it's safe again. Also you probably don't have way to test for safety either, so by that point you're basic just winging it on when you can return fish and coral to the tank. No matter how I think it, it's a very bad idea.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have killed Aiptasia and vermetid snails with high temperature. 120 degrees will rinse them in 24 hours. Actually much faster but I wanted to be shure the heat has gone all the way into the stones.
The problem is that it kills all the pods and worms that normally is cleaning the rock from inside 24/7.
I have used because it is simple when You have 2 rocks in a 50 gallon fish sale tank. (And a lot of rock in a separate tank in the system to keep it stable)
I would never use in a reef tank because:
1. The tank is at risk to crash within a year or 2 when the stones are clogged with detritus and has began to foul.
2. It is impossible to do this without breaking a lot of corals and losing a few fish because they will get to crowded in a small tank with sparse decoration.
3. There are some wrasses that eat vermetid snails. File fish and peppermint shrimps are eating Aiptasia. If You feed LPS just feed the shrimps first and they will never touch the LPS.

There are some tips here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/what-eats-vermetid-snails.330875/

Last edited:

cjb428

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumble bee snails eat vermited snails, also when I see one with a web out I uses a screwdriver and smash them. If you can remove the rock you can smash them or use super clue to glue the hole shut. Time consuming but works. Aptasia suck, i usually Nuke them with aptasia x on sight and recently I’ve bought an aptasia eating file fish and put it in my quarantine tank and now when I see an infected rock it comes out and goes in the tank with the with the file fish. You could put the file fish in tour reef but it may nibble at corals

Back