Turning off return pump?

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone
I have a JBJ 45 gallon DT that I converted to have a sump. I have a Tunze overflow that has tubes.
My concern is the siphon being broken in the UTube and the return pump keeps pumping water out
Until it overflows and or the pump runs empty and dry.

Should I put a float valve upside down in the sump or in the old false back of the DT
And let my apex monitor it,

Thanks

p7willm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the siphon breaks the return pumps water back to the DT and 2 things happen. The level in the sump lowers and the level in the tank raises. The sump probably moves faster so I would put a float in the sump and have the Apex turn off the return, and send you an email, when the water got low. Since stuff breaks I would put a float in the tank as backup to turn the return off when the water got too high.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my return chamber run dry well before the tank floods and my overflow is set so the drain stops well before the sump floods. No float valve needed.

OP
OP
Bob Escher

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my return chamber run dry well before the tank floods and my overflow is set so the drain stops well before the sump floods. No float valve needed.
I'm not worried that the sump will run dry I'm worried that the DT will overfill before the sump is empty. But to your remark while let the pump run dry?

OP
OP
Bob Escher

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the siphon breaks the return pumps water back to the DT and 2 things happen. The level in the sump lowers and the level in the tank raises. The sump probably moves faster so I would put a float in the sump and have the Apex turn off the return, and send you an email, when the water got low. Since stuff breaks I would put a float in the tank as backup to turn the return off when the water got too high.
That's what I thought I would do
Do you have a apex programming suggestion

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not worried that the sump will run dry I'm worried that the DT will overfill before the sump is empty. But to your remark while let the pump run dry?
I don't want it to run dry but it is a failsafe instead of putting float valves in. If my overflow fails and stops draining, the chamber in my sump where my return pump is will lower and start sucking air before my tank over flows. IMO a safe way to run a sump.

OP
OP
Bob Escher

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want it to run dry but it is a failsafe instead of putting float valves in. If my overflow fails and stops draining, the chamber in my sump where my return pump is will lower and start sucking air before my tank over flows. IMO a safe way to run a sump.
I would myself be just as worried about the pump itself

p7willm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setup the floats so they are normally CLOSED, if the BOB they are attached to gets unplugged they will CLOSE so this will backup the BOB and call them Sump and Display

In the outlet for the return add near the end
If Sump OPEN Then OFF
If Display OPEN Then OFF
will turn the pump off if either switch opens.

Also add
If Sump OPEN Then ON
If Display OPEN Then ON
to the alarm outlets since you want to know if either of these things happen.

OP
OP
Bob Escher

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks good explanation

OP
OP
Bob Escher

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setup the floats so they are normally CLOSED, if the BOB they are attached to gets unplugged they will CLOSE so this will backup the BOB and call them Sump and Display

If Sump OPEN Then OFF
If Display OPEN Then OFF

Also add
If Sump OPEN Then ON
If Display OPEN Then ON
Duh just getting around to this as the floats and BOB are coming in
What will I add to the switches? Won't these be names something like swx1 or something like that

p7willm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duh just getting around to this as the floats and BOB are coming in
What will I add to the switches? Won't these be names something like swx1 or something like that
There are 2 interfaces for the Apex. Fusion is the same no matter what version of the Apex your have. There is also a web server built in to the apex that runs an interface and is different between the 2016 model and the classic. The interface that runs on the Apex allows you to rename switches and stuff.

OP
OP
Bob Escher

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I know that I've had my Apex for over two years now. But how does it see the BOB as swx's?

p7willm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, on the Configuration->probe/input in the apex interface it lists all the inputs and you can change their names. The first bob you attach will be sw1 - sw6. When you add another it will be swxN-1 to swxN-6 where N is the number of the device you plugged the bob into.

OP
OP
Bob Escher

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If Sump OPEN Then OFF
If Display OPEN Then OFF

Also add
If Sump OPEN Then ON
If Display OPEN Then ON

OK I got it to turn off (I didn't capitalize the Statement and it worked but how long does it stay off
do i need a reverse Statement
If SUMP closed then ON ?
Also I have a PM2, A ALD module and they have switches Can I clean these up?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back