Tuxedo urchin feeding frequency

ToadstoolCoral155

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! About a week ago I got my new tuxedo urchin. At first he didn't move but now he's doing quite well! I have dried seaweed, and currently is still annhilating the grass algae.

My question is how often should I feel him seaweed and how much, and how do I go about doing it if he's in a high current area? Also, what is the feeding size?

IMG_0241.JPG

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank and how old? If a decent size and established you probably don’t even have to feed it.

They will eat almost any type of algae, some develop preference for coralline but will eat pretty much anything.

If you don’t have enough algae a square inch of seaweed weekly should be more than enough. Note that not all will eat it though. I have 3 and only 1 will eat nori.

OP
OP
ToadstoolCoral155

ToadstoolCoral155

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank and how old? If a decent size and established you probably don’t even have to feed it.

They will eat almost any type of algae, some develop preference for coralline but will eat pretty much anything.

If you don’t have enough algae a square inch of seaweed weekly should be more than enough. Note that not all will eat it though. I have 3 and only 1 will eat nori.
14 gallon, and been up since may but the bio diversity is identical to established tanks that I haven't owned but i've had experience with. Fast cycling probably worked.

I guess i'm worrying too much, you can't see all types of algae anyway, but there is still a decent bit.

How often should I feel them should it ever become necessary?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14 gallon, and been up since may but the bio diversity is identical to established tanks that I haven't owned but i've had experience with. Fast cycling probably worked.

I guess i'm worrying too much, you can't see all types of algae anyway, but there is still a decent bit.

How often should I feel them should it ever become necessary?

I'd start once a week. If you have leftovers, then make it less frequent.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back