Tuxedo Urchin Shenanigans

demonicmurry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've have a small-ish Tuxedo Urchin for about two months now. I thought it was be a nice clean up crew addition that wasn't a snail to deal with my algae issue. Well, I've finally got my algae under control and this guy is now going to town. He's picked up some zoanthid polyps which I had to tear off and glue on back onto the rock. A week later he was getting friendly with my Xenia frag. Well, turns out he ate most of it. Luckily it was only $5 and there are still a few tiny polyps left. Given that everything I've heard about Xenias are they grow pretty quickly I'm not too worried.

I love the little urchin, so I don't plan on getting rid of it. But I was not prepared for it to wreak this minor havoc in my tank. Hopefully this bit of nori I put into the tank will satiate its appetite, but it doesn't seem that interested so far. Fingers crossed. Any of your folks have had experience with a tuxedo urchin? Any fun stories or advice to keep it from taking some corals for a ride or a meal?

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This came up recently. Our urchin was bulldozing and sometimes eating our desired stuff. Voracious eater. But he was vanquished to the refugium where he can eat and be merry and not partake in shenanigans...

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two urchins in my 125. A tuxedo and a rose urchin. Love um. They really do a great job. I've never had a problem with them eating corals, but they will pick up anything that isn't glued down VERY well! Frags, snails, small children, etc... You really have to urchin proof the tank. I kind of like the fact that they pick up things that I can't reach, and all I have to do is clean them off periodically.

I saw a post once where someone was looking for little Mr. Potatohead like items to spread around the tank. Eyeballs, mustach, top hat, etc... for them to dress up with. Thought it was a great idea.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buddy of mine added some red and green macro algae to his tank. His large Tuxedo promptly enveloped itself in all his green macro.

Same guy is babysitting my tiny tux while I treat my tank for Velvet, and it stole ALL the red macro. Talking a 1" diameter Tux grabbed a large fistful of red macro to cart around the tank. Apparently it ditched it after a while because the hermit crabs were eating it.

IMG_3123.jpg 608276025.jpg

EliVChalk97

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got mine as well. I did read that after the algae is gone, have macro algae or something to feed them with as they have a big appetite! Cool little guys!

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I kept hearing my ATO going off so I went over to look. I don’t have a sump so the float switch is in the corner if the DT. The urchin had climbed up there, stuck its tentacles into the switch protector, and was pulling the switch down causing the ato to keep turning on.

OP
OP
demonicmurry

demonicmurry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buddy of mine added some red and green macro algae to his tank. His large Tuxedo promptly enveloped itself in all his green macro.

Same guy is babysitting my tiny tux while I treat my tank for Velvet, and it stole ALL the red macro. Talking a 1" diameter Tux grabbed a large fistful of red macro to cart around the tank. Apparently it ditched it after a while because the hermit crabs were eating it.

IMG_3123.jpg 608276025.jpg
When I got my tuxedo it was covered in macro algae. Once it finished off those it promptly dressed itself in all the extra hair algae I had. Well see what happens once that's gone.

Gordonm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tuxedo just eats my hair algae mostly. My red macro hangs from my top screen where no one will get it. Don't have any fish that desire it either.

Salt Addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I kept hearing my ATO going off so I went over to look. I don’t have a sump so the float switch is in the corner if the DT. The urchin had climbed up there, stuck its tentacles into the switch protector, and was pulling the switch down causing the ato to keep turning on.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four of them in the tank. I haven't noticed them going after any of the coral, but I will say that they've devastated a firework polyp. It was pretty lush but they go near it and walk away with polyps all over them. They look like they're wearing party hats. I have noticed a couple of the polyps in other parts of the tank so they're seeding it in a way; I'd rather they stay away from it altogether though.

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one tuxedo urchin and he seems to be defective haha . He doesn’t really pick anything up in the tank, I gave him some hats to wear and he just drops them. I’m also trying to feed him sea weed which he doesn’t take. I put some micro algae in and he was wearing it but it went eating it but I’ve just taken it out because it was going clear and I read that can release spores into the tank. I even put an algae biscuit on him and he just dropped it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back