Twin 80's build

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

So I've been wanting to upgrade to a bigger tank for awhile now. I currently have a 34g tank which I love but have been wanting more grow out room and bigger/cooler fish to keep. I had a 180 I was going to set up at one point but sold it because I needed the money at the time. So it was back to searching.... Until the other week I went to Parrot Aquatics after Kinney, @parroki, just picked up some used aquariums from around the area. He had 2 80g reef ready deep blue aquariums in really good condition, so after wheeling and dealing, we struck an accord and he hooked me up! I am now planning to have these tank side by side against one of the walls in the fish room. The 1st tank will be a display tank which will hold (one day) bigger corals colonies. The 2nd tank will be a frag tank ;Greedy.

So far I have some things ordered for the display tank and botch stands DIY built out of 2x4's. I've leak tested them and will clean them/wipe them down in the next couple of days. Im undecided if I want to plumb them both into 1 sump or have them as individual systems systems. If I do separate systems I might play around with different set ups/equipt. Undecided.

Im open to suggestions along the way as this is my first big upgrade/build and like feedback in all forms.
Money is tight so I can only set up 1 of the tanks right now but will slowly gather everything together for the other tank.
So here is what I have/ordered so far:

2x AI Hydra 26 HD's (Im a huge fan of AI and heard good things about the 26's)

REEF OCTOPUS CLASSIC 150INT 6” INTERNAL PROTEIN SKIMMER

SAPPHIRE SUMP 34 - TRIGGER SYSTEMS

SAPPHIRE ATO 10 GALLON RESERVOIR - TRIGGER SYSTEMS

2x Aqueon Pro 200w heaters.

2x Jebao OW-40 powerheads

1x Jebao DCP 5000 return pump

That's the list so far and will update along the way with pictures. Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

Will Perry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds awesome! I've always wanted to do a side by side build. I've seen some that had acrylic tubing connecting two tanks with fish seimming between the two. Lol.

OP
OP
Palyzoa

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooooo yay another ETRC build! Can't wait to see what this turns into.

What rock will you be using?
I have some old rock that I bleached and baked in the son awhile ago. It's been curing for about 3-4 weeks now :cool:.

This sounds awesome! I've always wanted to do a side by side build. I've seen some that had acrylic tubing connecting two tanks with fish seimming between the two. Lol.

Haha yes! I've seen a build like that before. I won't be connecting the 2 displays tho I might plumb them both to 1 sump.

OP
OP
Palyzoa

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:

Got the stands finished and tanks mounted today. No, I will not be skinning them yet, I might just leave it bare o_O. I don't mind the look but the wife not so much... Still waiting on ordered parts to come in, any day now :D.

IMG_1280.JPG
IMG_1281.JPG
IMG_1283.JPG

IMG_1275.JPG

OP
OP
Palyzoa

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooooo looking good! Which one is frag and which is DT?

Thanks, the tank on the left will be the DT. Starting to make RODI to mix up the saltwater soon. Need to plumb them first of course, Im trying not to get ahead of myself here ;).

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Double the fun!

OP
OP
Palyzoa

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice set-up. Are you going to use Refugium ?

I just bought a sump that has a refugium section but I was thinking about making a 40B into a refugium and plumbing it in to the system. Will post pictures a little later :)

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back