Two dead fish

Guynamedfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had two deaths this morning my mandarin goby died and my chocolate chip starfish I did a water Chang and the ph levels were fine and the mandarin and Star were eating they seemed healthy but they just died my stock is 2 clown fish 1 canary blenny and a pajama cardinal

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank?

When did you add your most recent fish and which fish was it?

Did you quarantine your fish before adding them or buy pre-quarantined fish from DrReef or similar service?

Did you notice white specles or what looks like powdered sugar dust on any of your fish recently?

Did you notice red streaks on any of your fish recently?

Upvote 0

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank?

Did you quarantine your fish before adding them or buy pre-quarantined fish from DrReef or similar service?

Did you notice white specles or what looks like powdered sugar dust on any of your fish recently?

it would not have been parasites that killed the mandarin they have a very thick slime coat and very resistant to external parasites it is most likely a 3 month old 30 gallon tank and the mandarin starved also the star fish

Upvote 0

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it would not have been parasites that killed the mandarin they have a very thick slime coat and very resistant to external parasites it is most likely a 3 month old 30 gallon tank and the mandarin starved also the star fish
Even if its not the most likely cause, I wouldn't rule it out. I got a mandarin and didn't QT it because someone told me the same thing you just did about the slime coat. It was added 2 months after my last fish, which were quarantined, and it had Velvet. Killed every fish in my tank in 3 days except for a single clown that survived emergency copper treatment and killed at least $2000 worth of coral from the resulting ammonia spike.

Upvote 0

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Guynamedfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank?

My tank is 3 months old
I added the canary blenny was added 4 days ago
I didn’t quarantine the fish no symptoms of anything I saw them eating and then they just died during the night

Upvote 0

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 3 months old
I didn’t quarantine the fish no symptoms of anything I saw them eating and then they just died during the night
what did i tell you 3 month old tank i bet its 30 gallons too the mandarin and starfish starved your tank is no where near ready to keep a mandarin

Upvote 0

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if its not the most likely cause, I wouldn't rule it out. I got a mandarin and didn't QT it because someone told me the same thing you just did about the slime coat. It was added 2 months after my last fish, which were quarantined, and it had Velvet. Killed every fish in my tank in 3 days except for a single clown that survived emergency copper treatment and killed at least $2000 worth of coral from the resulting ammonia spike.
^

Upvote 0

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed - the mandarin most likely starved. The chocolate chip starfish would've eventually gone after your corals, so that's probably a blessing in disguise (these starfish are food for certain shrimp).

And velvet will kill a mandarin.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Did you match salinity and temperature of new water with that of display tank?
Are you using tap water from faucet or RODI water ?
You said Ph level was fine. What is your reading for ph-ammonia and nitrate and what test kits are you using?
Did Mandarin have a film on its body when you discovered it ?

Upvote 0

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 3 months old
Since you recently added a fish, parasites are possible buy the mandarin is the least likely of your stocking list to be the only one affected. Starfish are very sensitive to ammonia and also was likely starving as well since they survive off detritus. It's hard to feed enough excess to keep a large starfish fed without polluting the tank in a 30g.

A mandarin requires a mature tank that has a large refugium and the display needs to be in excess of 55g. These fish eat 1000s of copepods a day so they will slowly starve in a 30g.

I would not completely rule out parasites though. Keep a very close eye on your remaining fish and look up the symptoms for ich, brooklynella, and marine velvet. If you do, get them into a seperate quarantine tank and treat with Copper Power. You would also have to leave your display tank fallow for between 30 and 72 days depending on which type it was.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back