Two eels look very bad following tank crash. need advice.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the nitrites still detectable today? That can be another problem and I would suggest a large water change or something that will bind that up. Nitrite is toxic and can be causing more harm to the eels and the clowns.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used methylene blue to combat ammonia damage, but it was less severe than this case. Used as a bath, a treatment of a few hours can be done.

If they seem to get some relief, and the symptoms don't return, excellent. If the relief is only temporary and the symptoms return in a day or two, it may be a sign that the internal organs were too badly damaged and that you may need to consider euthanasia.

OP
OP
Hotelbravo

Hotelbravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melypr I misspoke I meant nitrates, my nitrites were never detectable even with .5 ammonia present

46gReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say the caulerpa nuked the tank? Why do you think this is the case?

OP
OP
Hotelbravo

Hotelbravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a very large amount of caulerpa brachypus that all died that night. The leaves turned clear and the two basketball size clumps shriveled into baseball size masses of mush. Upon reading I found that this can release a sort of toxin in the water when it dies off and since it was in such large amounts I believe it to be the cause

JPSika08

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that the caulerpa went sexual?

Here is a good link explaining,
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_4/caulerpa.html

And here is quote from that link:
When Caulerpa is maintained properly it spreads vegetatively (asexually) by sending out runners that develop new fronds and rhizoids. However, under certain conditions it will reproduce sexually. From the perspective of a marine fishkeeper, this is undesirable, because after reproducing all the algae dies back simultaneously, releasing all their nitrogen and phosphate back into the water column as they decay, ruining water quality. Particulate matter that is released as the algae decays reduces water clarity, turning the water milky white and clogging up mechanical filtration media.

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what happened to the Caulerpa. I don't run it for this reason.

46gReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have caulerpa racemosa in my sump, goes sexual from time to time, the water turns cloudy and my corals get a meal but I've never had any issues due to it happening. Not that I don't believe you I'm just comparing my experiences. Are you sure nothing contaminated your tank?

OP
OP
Hotelbravo

Hotelbravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No 46g. I am not 100% sure on anything all that's why I said it was suspected the caulerpa nuked the tank. While I'm pretty sure nothing was spilled and contaminated the tank or got in there some other way. I cannot 100% rule that out.

OP
OP
Hotelbravo

Hotelbravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so the lfs only had one thing that had malachite green in it which was ick attack. it also had another ingredient... and they didnt have any methylene blue. will this ick attack work??

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so the lfs only had one thing that had malachite green in it which was ick attack. it also had another ingredient... and they didnt have any methylene blue. will this ick attack work??

I'm not sure what all this Ick Attack has in it. Let's see if @Humblefish can lead us in the right direction here.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Malachite Green (aka Victoria Green) is a suitable alternative to Methylene Blue; although the latter is better tolerated by fish IME.

However, if you are referring to "Kordon Ich Attack" it DOES NOT contain Malachite Green (look under "Specs & Stability" for each link): http://www.kordon.com/kordon/products/organic-herbal-preventatives-and-treatments-2/ich-attack-disease-treatment#specifications-stability!

This product by Kordon DOES: http://www.kordon.com/kordon/products/chemical-preventatives-and-treatments-2/rid-ich#specifications-stability!

These two products by Kordon would be even better:

http://www.kordon.com/kordon/products/chemical-preventatives-and-treatments-2/methylene-blue#specifications-stability!

http://www.kordon.com/kordon/products/chemical-preventatives-and-treatments-2/malachite-green#specifications-stability!

However, if I were in your shoes this is the medication I would want because it also contains two antibiotics, in addition to Methylene Blue: http://store.nationalfishpharm.com/NFP-products-Nitrofuracin-Green-59584.Item.html

Bradw18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understandings meth blue burns the gills of fish. I may be wrong but don't see how putting the Eels in something that may burn there gills more would be helpful. I use it to hatch my angles and treat ick but do 50 percent water changes in 24 hours.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understandings meth blue burns the gills of fish. I may be wrong but don't see how putting the Eels in something that may burn there gills more would be helpful. I use it to hatch my angles and treat ick but do 50 percent water changes in 24 hours.

It actually does the opposite:
MB is effective in treatment of some gill diseases, especially from injury such as ammonia burns or fluke damage as it transports oxygen allowing for more gill efficiency and as well aiding in some healing of tissue.

Source (and an excellent rundown of Methylene Blue's full uses): http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumMedication3.html#methylene_blue

OP
OP
Hotelbravo

Hotelbravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No stores around here carry, my LFS says they can get it Thursday and use my work comps to pay for it. I don't have money to order online and overnight due to unexpected bills.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back