Two eels look very bad following tank crash. need advice.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hotelbravo I can provide more detailed instructions if you let me know which brand of MB you will be using.

Malachite Green/Methylene Blue: Treats ammonia burn, cuts, injuries.

How To Treat - Comes in both liquid and powder form, sometimes mixed in with another medication(s). So, follow the directions on the label. Best used as a 30 minute bath solution, but you also can treat with it in a quarantine tank. Aerate heavily. If you are using it in a bath solution, then it is also a good idea to treat the fish with nitrofurazone (active ingredient found in Furan-2 and Nitrofuracin Green Powder) once he is returned to the quarantine tank. Nitrofurazone is great for treating open wounds or sores.

Pros - Highly effective.

Cons/Side Effects - Depletes oxygen from the water. Malachite Green is considered “harsher” on fish than Methylene Blue.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hotelbravo I can provide more detailed instructions if you let me know which brand of MB you will be using.

Malachite Green/Methylene Blue: Treats ammonia burn, cuts, injuries.

How To Treat - Comes in both liquid and powder form, sometimes mixed in with another medication(s). So, follow the directions on the label. Best used as a 30 minute bath solution, but you also can treat with it in a quarantine tank. Aerate heavily. If you are using it in a bath solution, then it is also a good idea to treat the fish with nitrofurazone (active ingredient found in Furan-2 and Nitrofuracin Green Powder) once he is returned to the quarantine tank. Nitrofurazone is great for treating open wounds or sores.

Pros - Highly effective.

Cons/Side Effects - Depletes oxygen from the water. Malachite Green is considered “harsher” on fish than Methylene Blue.
KORDON Methylene Blue-General Disease Prevention Treatment for Aquarium, 4-Ounce,

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KORDON Methylene Blue-General Disease Prevention Treatment for Aquarium, 4-Ounce,

You have two options:

Option #1 - In a QT (recommended)

• Add 1 teaspoon of Methylene Blue per 10 gallons of water. This produces a concentration of 3 ppm. Continue the treatment for 3 to 5 days.
  • Return fish to the DT
Option #2 - Quick bath solution (allows just enough time for the gill tissue to absorb some of the medication)
  • Place fish in a 5 gallon bucket using aquarium water.
  • Add 5 teaspoons of Methylene Blue per 3 gallons of water. This produces a concentration of 50 ppm.
  • Place fish in this solution for no longer than 10 seconds.
  • Return fish to DT (pour a little aquarium water over the fish to "wash away" any excess medication, but DO NOT rinse any away from the gills.)

OP
OP
Hotelbravo

Hotelbravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to clarify on option . am i adding the methylene blue to the hospital tank one time over the 3-5 days or am i changing the water every day or something and adding the methylene again?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to clarify on option . am i adding the methylene blue to the hospital tank one time over the 3-5 days or am i changing the water every day or something and adding the methylene again?

You dose MB once in a QT, leave the eels in there for 3-5 days and then put them back in the DT.

OP
OP
Hotelbravo

Hotelbravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the eels are in treatment they were surprisingly easy to catch they swam right into the net when i put the feeding stick infront of the net. This medication isnt lying when it claims to be blue... i can barely see them in this blue water lol

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the eels are in treatment they were surprisingly easy to catch they swam right into the net when i put the feeding stick infront of the net. This medication isnt lying when it claims to be blue... i can barely see them in this blue water lol

Yes I've done a few dips with MB. It's shocking the first time and it will stain so dont drip it on your floors or clothes!

OP
OP
Hotelbravo

Hotelbravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea i got it on my shirt luckily its a blue shirt so maybe with a wash it will blend in. and i also go it on my wall when i popped the seal on it there was some splatter but i need to paint that wall anyways.. they are moving around a good bit i dont know if its because of all the commotion or that they feel a little better already

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hotelbravo Be sure you are providing plenty of gas exchange in there (powerhead pointed towards the surface of the water or airstone fully discharging.)

MB depletes oxygen from the water.

Suz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a snowflake eel get out of my tank once. It was 66 degrees in my kitchen at the time. He looked like a snake wrapped up in a circle. I scooped him up and dumped him back in the tank. My husband said he was dead but he wasn't. His skin looked like it was peeling off so I told the LPS and he recommended that I try a double dose of Stress Coat. He looked like a new eel the next day like nothing had happened. Just a thought - I'm no expert.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His skin looked like it was peeling off so I told the LPS and he recommended that I try a double dose of Stress Coat.
Excellent suggestion. :) Stress Coat contains Aloe Vera, which helps heal damaged tissue. This could be added to the MB bath and/or dosed in the DT post treatment.

OP
OP
Hotelbravo

Hotelbravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a pretty strong air stone in there with them. im using a white plastic round 20 gallon tall drinking water container fo the hospital tank and filled it about 2/3rd of the way leaving a pretty tall gap from the water line to the rim so it would be hard for the eels to climb out but my snowflake has escaped a time or two out of the DT before i got a clear mesh screen. ive found him pretty dry and shriveled behind a cabinet and he came back to life. this guy has been a fighter from the beginning i sure hope they both pull through.

should i try to feed them at all during this? its been almost a month and they havent eaten.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should i try to feed them at all during this? its been almost a month and they havent eaten.

You can try, but they probably won't eat whilst in treatment. It's my understanding eels can go longer than 1 month without eating.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try, but they probably won't eat whilst in treatment. It's my understanding eels can go longer than 1 month without eating.
This is true. It wouldn't shock me if they went a couple months or more (if healthy and are able to eat on a regular basis) if they are older (1+ years). My chainlink has went from twice a day when he was a juvy, to once very 3-5 days at a month less of being a year with me.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 11.9%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 46 27.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 79 47.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 11.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back