Two eels look very bad following tank crash. need advice.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I may make a suggestion. Lay off the chemicals and hammer the tank with water changes. If cost is an issue, You say You live near the ocean, use nsw. Eels are very tough animals and should make it . Good Luck !

OP
OP
Hotelbravo

Hotelbravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how more water changes would affect anything. I've changed around 300 gallons since the crash. And lay off the chemicals? I've only used one chemical and that's the methylene blue treatment they just went through. No other chemicals have been used

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how more water changes would affect anything. I've changed around 300 gallons since the crash. And lay off the chemicals? I've only used one chemical and that's the methylene blue treatment they just went through. No other chemicals have been used

I think that what he meant was to give the eel a little longer before making any decisions to euthanize. They really are tuff creatures and maybe he will make it back. Water changes are always good and in this case would just keep the water quality pristine for him while he heals.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a worst nightmare and I can totally understand where you're coming from, not a fun pair of shoes to be in at the moment.

How is the sfe today?

OP
OP
Hotelbravo

Hotelbravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The snowflake is moving around the tank looking pretty decent. His body has slight spasms still but he is acting much better. When I get home from work I will try to feed both again.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The snowflake is moving around the tank looking pretty decent. His body has slight spasms still but he is acting much better. When I get home from work I will try to feed both again.

Since the snowflake seems improved, you might want to give the zebra another go around with the MB.

OP
OP
Hotelbravo

Hotelbravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The zebra honestly seems a lot worse than before. It's really rough to watch

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, Consider the added stress on the eel by netting and placing it in another tank and treating it again. Is the treatment worth the added stress of the move? Wish I knew!

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do water changes and let him heal.
zebras take a lot longer to recover from just about everything.
the snowflake generally will go through hell and bounce back faster.
GIVE HIM TIME and do the water changes to give him the best chance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hotelbravo

Hotelbravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The zebra died sometime saturday night. the snowflake is still alive he is still twitching but he is moving around the tank and being very active. i tried to feed saturday and the zebra of course did not respond but the snowflake bit into the shrimp pulled it off the feeding stick but dropped it and did not return to finish the job. so he is showing more signs of interest in eating and there is hope with him to pull through this.

after finding the zebra dead i felt a little defeated partly because of how the eels were and partly because of the dinoflagellates that have been exploding in the tank. I siphoned about 40 gallons of water yesterday while trying to get all the dinos out of the tank and i started h202 dosing the tank. i am doing a 3-5 day blackout while doing more water changes and h202 dosing. i sure hope all this doesnt mess with the healing process on the snowflake but i was assured by people at my lfs that the eel would be perfectly fine during the black out since they are mostly nocturnal anyway. i always try to reverify what they say though. if you guys think i should attempt to catch him and take him out during this i can try to do that.

OP
OP
Hotelbravo

Hotelbravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know i am pretty sad about the zebra. I dont know if i will get another zebra in the future even though the zebras are my favorite eels. I feel like the next zebra wouldnt match this ones character. this zebra let me hand feed him and would let me pet him. He was by far my favorite tank inhabitant.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know i am pretty sad about the zebra. I dont know if i will get another zebra in the future even though the zebras are my favorite eels. I feel like the next zebra wouldnt match this ones character. this zebra let me hand feed him and would let me pet him. He was by far my favorite tank inhabitant.
Give it some time, I bet you said the same after your first snowflake escaped ;)

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 26.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back