Two new world records set today!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One for the most overflow accidents in one day, the other for stupidity! :D

Overflow #1. I changed my GAC in my reactor today the way I usually do. After replacing the carbon containing reactor cannister, I take the effluent tube from the reactor and put it in a 5 gallon bucket. I then turn on the pump and replace the water coming out with new saltwater from another 5 gallon bucket sitting by the tank. I always get the new 5 gallons in before enough water has left the reactor/new carbon to fill the bucket from the reactor. Yep got distracted and was shocked back in to reality by the sound of running water.....from the overflowing rinse bucket!

Overflow #2. Cleaned that up and was perusing R2R when my ATO high water alarm went off. My return pump had stopped. Stupidly (and a little lazily) I had not cleaned my return pump in months. Pulled my return pump and replaced it with my smaller previous pump I keep on hand just for such occasions. Fired the pump up and no leak from my connections, everything looks good! Turn away to put up some tools and hear that same sound again....you know, the running water sound. Remember that effluent tube from the carbon reactor? Yeah I accidently displaced it when exchanging the pumps! Another clean up!

Overflow #3. Took my non working pump to the "fish room" and put it in a bucket of citric acid after filling the sink full of water with the drain plug in to soak the dirty fittings from the pump. Went back to check on the tank and answered a few email and went back to take the pump out of the citric acid and encountered overflow #3. I had used RO/DI water to make the citric acid solution(about 3 gallons) and didn't think about the RO/DI unit automatically coming on after removing that 3 gallon of water. Guess what else empties in to that sink.....right, the waste water line from my RO/DI! I forgot to pull the drain plug after using the sink!

All I can say is thank heavens for wet/dry vacuums! Don't be like David....be smart and don't be lazy!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oh no

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One for the most overflow accidents in one day, the other for stupidity! :D

Overflow #1. I changed my GAC in my reactor today the way I usually do. After replacing the carbon containing reactor cannister, I take the effluent tube from the reactor and put it in a 5 gallon bucket. I then turn on the pump and replace the water coming out with new saltwater from another 5 gallon bucket sitting by the tank. I always get the new 5 gallons in before enough water has left the reactor/new carbon to fill the bucket from the reactor. Yep got distracted and was shocked back in to reality by the sound of running water.....from the overflowing rinse bucket!

Overflow #2. Cleaned that up and was perusing R2R when my ATO high water alarm went off. My return pump had stopped. Stupidly (and a little lazily) I had not cleaned my return pump in months. Pulled my return pump and replaced it with my smaller previous pump I keep on hand just for such occasions. Fired the pump up and no leak from my connections, everything looks good! Turn away to put up some tools and hear that same sound again....you know, the running water sound. Remember that effluent tube from the carbon reactor? Yeah I accidently displaced it when exchanging the pumps! Another clean up!

Overflow #3. Took my non working pump to the "fish room" and put it in a bucket of citric acid after filling the sink full of water with the drain plug in to soak the dirty fittings from the pump. Went back to check on the tank and answered a few email and went back to take the pump out of the citric acid and encountered overflow #3. I had used RO/DI water to make the citric acid solution(about 3 gallons) and didn't think about the RO/DI unit automatically coming on after removing that 3 gallon of water. Guess what else empties in to that sink.....right, the waste water line from my RO/DI! I forgot to pull the drain plug after using the sink!

All I can say is thank heavens for wet/dry vacuums! Don't be like David....be smart and don't be lazy!
Thankfully things usually come in 3's, so you should be good. ;) :rolleyes:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LOL! I just read this to my wife to show her that I'm not the only one. Thanks! ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
RO joke.jpg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a three DOH Day! Doh, Doh, Doh!

Doh.png

We've all had them.....and I've had my fair share of Doh's. Looks like you survived and stayed positive about it all. :cool:

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This literally has happened to many times to count!

Best ones are when you wake up and you know it’s a mess down there and you rush to the garage to clean up the evidence so she doesn’t see it. That has happened 2-3 times and she still doesn’t know it happened to this very day!
Then I saw a $10 float valve.
Guess who somehow never manages to leave it on anymore? And yet I bought a float valve.....

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had that kind of day yesterday so I was cleaning/redoing my 20 long planted tank so instead of being smart and using a flow pump to get everything in the water to vacuum it out i used a net swishing back and forth well I wasn't paying attention and water spilled over the edge and then the other edge and rinse and repeat so I had a big mess to clean up

and then I was refilling my ato and I dumped half the water onto the ground instead of the bucket btw i use a bucket to carry ro di water downstairs where my tank is since we also use the ro water for drinking

OP
OP
saltyhog

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WORLD RECORDS DONT COUNT IF THERES NO EMBARRASSING PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE....

just saying

solve world record GIF

LOL. I know but panic set in with water on the floor and all I could think about was getting it cleaned up! Could have stopped to take pictures in the fish room as that's a concrete floor but was a little PO'd by that time. :D

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this! I also decided I wanted to use my carbon reactor to clean out my qt tank which required moving hoses into temporary positions and the return tube got loose - I heard a weird noise and went into the equipment room and there was water everywhere and the QT tank was like a third drained
1611415524840.png
Luckily I keep extra saltwater on hand. My husband helped clean it up with the shop vac and even laughed at my joke about an impromptu water change....

I also have float valves everywhere I possibly can because I have failed to turn off ato / pumping water to the salt mixing tub enough times to fill a fish tank.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some leak alarms (I got a 3-pack for $20 on Amazon). They're designed to place the sensor on the floor and go off when they get wet, I keep one on the floor of my stand just in case, but with the other two I place the sensor inside the container I'm filling just a few inches below the overflow point so I get a warning before the sound of running water. With hard wood floors the $20 investment has probably saved my life on several occasions.

OP
OP
saltyhog

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some leak alarms (I got a 3-pack for $20 on Amazon). They're designed to place the sensor on the floor and go off when they get wet, I keep one on the floor of my stand just in case, but with the other two I place the sensor inside the container I'm filling just a few inches below the overflow point so I get a warning before the sound of running water. With hard wood floors the $20 investment has probably saved my life on several occasions.

Actually I have one in my stand and I sealed the entire bottom of the stand when I moved. All of these uh-oh's were outside the tank and completely caused by my inattentiveness and stupidity. LOL.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I have one in my stand and I sealed the entire bottom of the stand when I moved. All of these uh-oh's were outside the tank and completely caused by my inattentiveness and stupidity. LOL.
In your first example, you said you overflowed a bucket... if you had a sensor in the bucket near the top, it would have warned you before it overflowed.
My most common problem was filling a 5 gallon jug with RODI that I used to fill my ATO reservoir. Can't tell you how many times I forgot about this and later went to find the basement floor covered in water... now I place a sensor in the jug and I get a reminder to shut off the RODI.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just wanted to share:
I recently set up a 29g reef and one day I kept hearing pops coming from the outlet. Me being stuck in bed next to the tank was to lazy to look since I was being eaten up by COVID-19 at the time. When the fever left I looked at the outlet. THE OUTPUT FOR MY Tunze Nano HAD SLIPPED out of its bracket AND WAS CONSISTENTLY SHOOTING water at the outlet down my wall. I freaked and pulled all out of the outlet and went to drying it. Tho now every time I’m about to fall asleep and my RODI goes off I get PTSD and run over to check if it’s in its bracket and feel the wall for water.
Another 2 times I turned on the RODI in my 50g Resiviour and forget and woke up to the mom saying: WHY IS THERE WATER RUNNING DOWN THE SIDE OF THE HOUSE!?!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back