Two of my fish died

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a foxface and a coral beauty, 5 days later my Royal gramma and my Midas blenny are both dead, it makes sense that it had something to do with the new additions ‍♀️ I didn’t notice any fighting, but last night the gramma was hiding all night and the past few days the Midas was hanging more at the top of the tank whereas he’s usually in his cubbyhole or swimming around the rocks.
If I tried to add replacements would it likely happen again?

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes in the sump and plenty of surface agitation. I’ve Had the royal for about a year and Tge Midas a couple months and they were fine
My initial theory was that the water was not oxygenated enough but that doesnt seem to be the case. Maybe it was an ammonia spike? How old is your tank?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a foxface and a coral beauty, 5 days later my Royal gramma and my Midas blenny are both dead, it makes sense that it had something to do with the new additions ‍♀️ I didn’t notice any fighting, but last night the gramma was hiding all night and the past few days the Midas was hanging more at the top of the tank whereas he’s usually in his cubbyhole or swimming around the rocks.
If I tried to add replacements would it likely happen again?

Sounds like a fish brought in disease. The Midas was at the top of the tank trying to get oxygen from compromised gills most likely.

Are the new fish still alive?

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a fish brought in disease. The Midas was at the top of the tank trying to get oxygen from compromised gills most likely.

If you don't fallow the tank (go fishless) for 45 days at 81-82 then yes, it could happen again. It can happen anytime you add something wet too. Especially a new fish.

Just check out the disease forums.
Could it be something else?

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a fish brought in disease. The midas was at the top of the tank trying to get oxygen from compromised gills most likely.

If you don't fallow the tank (go fishless) for 45 days at 81-82 then yes, it could happen again. It can happen anytime you add something wet too.
This only started after I added the two newest fish and I wondered if one or both were the cause

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My own quarantine observation
All the other fish are fine abd acting normal

How long for observation?

It is possible for stuff to get through from observation but does reduce the chances of velvet and such if the fish were watched for a long period.

You said it has only been 5 days. That is why I would wait to add anything for awhile in case the other fish start showing signs.

Two fish dying you had for awhile... seems something is off unless it is a coincidence and they were already sick and finally started showing signs around the same time.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long for observation?

It is possible for stuff to get through from observation but does reduce the chances of velvet and such if the fish were watched for a long period.

You said it has only been 5 days. That is why I would wait to add anything for awhile in case the other fish start showing signs.

Two fish dying you had for awhile... seems something is off unless it is a coincidence and they were already sick and finally started showing signs around the same time.
I thought maybe they were intimidated by the new fish and weren’t eating, I know the gramma was hiding and I hadn’t seen her eating in awhile

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought maybe they were intimidated by the new fish and weren’t eating, I know the gramma was hiding and I hadn’t seen her eating in awhile
Are some fish more susceptible to disease then others ? I noticed both the fish that died were acting differently, all the others seem fine

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface, coral beauty and lemon peel are the the bully,s in my tank. Any new addition gets interrogated until they are excepted.
I have a 220 gal with lots of rock and hiding places

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to replace at least the Midas blenny, I’ll wait and see how the rest do then quarantine the new blenny first, I’m wondering if I’ll have territorial problems adding him later ?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Were they actually being bullied a lot?

If not then they shouldn't just die because new fish were added. Fish also can go a long time without food.

Yes, some fish are more susceptible to disease although I wouldn't particularly say those ones are high risk.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were they actually being bullied a lot?

If not then they shouldn't just die because new fish were added. Fish also can go a long time without food.

Yes, some fish are more susceptible to disease although I wouldn't particularly say those ones are high risk.
Not that I noticed ‍♀️ The rest of the tank is fine.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 166 61.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.1%
Back