Two Tanks

Falreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 Gallon JBJ - 4 months old - ( 128 days old )
Fluval 5 gallon EVO - 4 weeks old - ( 28 days old )

I did set up a 5 gallon Fluval Evo 5 two weeks before Reefapalooza and went Saturday and Sunday.
I think I got too much as now both tanks full. But plenty of nice stuff and all doing well, though I have battled pH problems (low), very high dKH, and a sudden secondary ammonia and nitrite spike.
All seems settling down.
My 30 gallon has been pretty stable. The tank is over 4 months old.
The 5 Gallon is now about 4 weeks old. Having a growth of apitasia, not in the 30 gallon.

IMG_6723.JPG

IMG_6831.JPG

IMG_6833.JPG

IMG_6780.JPG

IMG_6781.JPG

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good! Looks like a very active 30g!

OP
OP
Falreef

Falreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give me another few months and I may write an article on: Long Time Experienced Freshwater Aquarist enters the realm of Saltwater Reefing.

PSLReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a gold head sleeper, I believe and a mandarin? I sure hope you are able to keep up with their diets, as such a young tank cannot support their need for food within the sand bed, without adding pods.They will starve. Also So much coral and fish in such young tanks, sorry but I foresee a lot of problems and deaths in these tanks.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Last edited:

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd consider removing the six line and/or the mandarin. The six line is going to compete with your mandarin for pods. A young, smaller tank is already going to be challenging enough to keep the mandarin fed. Are you supplementing the mandarin with baby brine shrimp? If not I would suggest looking into paulb's mandarin feeder.

OP
OP
Falreef

Falreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My JBJ 30 ran for just about a year. Then had a power outage for 8 days and lost everything. Had great growth, few fish deaths and all were happy and active.
Mandarin I even got to be eating from a pipette with Mysis shrimp. Tank restarted after one month cleaning and recycling.
Ran for 6 months until the tank spontaneously cracked ! Again, had to do another reset.
Now running 4 Tanks and a small QT at home. 8 Freshwater at home. 1 saltwater in the office (now going on nearly 2 years), 1 freshwater.
Home is Red Sea Max 250 65 gallons AIO; Two 33 Long tanks running hang on back filters, and HOB refugium w/cheato, top one loaded with fish and a few corals.
Bottom is with multiple fish and loaded with corals. All doing well and up and running now with those for nearly 1 year. My Fluval Evo 5 also lost everything
in that original power outage. Reset it and ran well and everything growing with corals and fish, then poof - heater and return pump fouled up and temp drop killing
all the corals. Cleaned up and running and things are growing and doing well again after 2 months.
So that's the saga since my start of Saltwater that began 3/2016.
Have been an Aquarist, Freshwater Hobbyist for over 52+ years.
I'll have to get pictures of my new tanks and upload those at sometime in the near future.

OP
OP
Falreef

Falreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now up to 5 tanks at home: 65 Gallon Red Sea Max 250; Two 33 Long tanks with HOB Aquaclear 70s and Coralife Filter / Skimmer; Fluval Evo 5; 20 Gallon High with HOB Aquaclear 70.
Office has one Innovative Marine 30 Long.
Now in Saltwater x 2 years and 3 months.
Still maintaining 8 freshwater at home and 1 in office.
Aquarist with 53 years of experience and 2 years and 3 months of marine reefkeeping.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back