Types, Brands Of Seaweed At Asian Food Stores ?

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a pack of kelp at a store, but it was too thick and tough for my fish to eat. Then found a pack of Nori which they liked. I'm trying to find seaweed in bulk for our tangs etc, that is much lower in cost than fish stores, Amazon etc....

What types are good for fish and not ?
Where do you buy yours ?
Best prices ?

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...d=kwd-355538538927&ref=pd_sl_3imcvqcon5_e_p38

Any DIY herbivorous food recipies ?

Last edited:

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just get it at an import store we have here. It is what they use when working with sushi. I just make sure it is simply nori. No flavoring, etc. My fish love it.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the Costco brand organic roasted seaweed snacks. I like that they are already cut to size and there is nothing extra like sesame or salt in it. The snack packs are priced right and last a long time. You can find the snack packs at Sam's if I am not mistaken and also in the Asian market stores. I can not see them on costco's site, but they are $10 for 12. Here is a picture of what you should look for link

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the Costco brand organic roasted seaweed snacks. I like that they are already cut to size and there is nothing extra like sesame or salt in it. The snack packs are priced right and last a long time. You can find the snack packs at Sam's if I am not mistaken and also in the Asian market stores. I can not see them on costco's site, but they are $10 for 12. Here is a picture of what you should look for link

What about the organic sunflower oil, organic sesame oil and sea salt ?

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the organic sunflower oil, organic sesame oil and sea salt ?
The packages I have, has seaweed, canola oil, sea salt.
IMG_5546.JPG
IMG_5547.JPG

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But that has oils and salt ?

"organic seaweed, organic sunflower oil, organic sesame oil, sea salt"

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But that has oils and salt ?

"organic seaweed, organic sunflower oil, organic sesame oil, sea salt"

Sea salt is evaporated sea water, not a problem

Canola oil is plant based and are for human consumption. . I add garlic oil to my food from time to time and the oil plant based oil

As the picture shows, the one I use does not have sunflower oil or sesame oil and I will would say they are fine. What I would stay away from is preservatives, hot chili, and some seasoning that I have seen that some nori has in it.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the oil a concern of creating nurient issues, like unwanted algae's ?

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The price seems low on the size and count.

Is seaweed, seaweed or are there difference's on nurientence's ?
Are there good and bad cheap ways of drying and or roasting ?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The price seems low on the size and count.

Is seaweed, seaweed or are there difference's on nurientence's ?
Are there good and bad cheap ways of drying and or roasting ?
To be honest,I have no clue

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I second this! My tang LOVES them. As for the Canola Oil, I believe it's fine. This is because you see krill oil encapsulated the same way that you see salmon oil. They have more fatty acids, but Canola has omega 3,6,9 as well I believe. It's also got one of the highest concentrations of Omega-3 of any plant based oil aside from Flaxseed.

The takeaway here is that some people feed bits of salmon or other fish. These all have healthy oils contained in them.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the picture, are they in flat like chunks for a "snsck", or roll out to a long rectangle sheet ?

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've seen Snack Packs of Nori at my LAS (Local Asian Store) and they seem to be not too cost efficient when compared to larger sheets of nori, on a square inch basis, which are sold in the same venue. Have you done any cost analysis on this?

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen Snack Packs of Nori at my LAS (Local Asian Store) and they seem to be not too cost efficient when compared to larger sheets of nori, on a square inch basis, which are sold in the same venue. Have you done any cost analysis on this?

Good question, I have not. I went for convenience on the snack packs from Costco and yes they snack packs are less than the local asian store. I purchase 50 sheets of the full size nori for $14 when I am making my fumaki rolls or when I am making a batch of food for the fish. Back to convenience, cleaning up is not a hassle but one still does after cutting nori into smaller sizes and just having it all done also is convenient and worth a few cents more. The packs keep the nori fresh also:)

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using this for a few years now. I thinks it’s around $22 a pack. Only one ingredient. I buy this at an Asian supermarket.

9B7F0C14-D127-4F0C-B224-6D21C648E1ED.jpeg

I take 25 sheets and quarter them and store in another bag because as mentioned above dividing nori can get messy so I don’t want to do that daily.
8DB89C1B-68EB-4933-85AF-BBDF60C550BD.jpeg

It must be good. Even my CBB eats it.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you guys clamp the nori strip to the vegi clip, to keep it from falling apart what method do you have the best luck, in a roll like a cigar or folded once, twice, three times etc ?

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started introducing this to my fish, my LFS has "Seaweed Extreme".. When I get home ill be checking the details/cost comparisons to the ones shared above!

Good topic, and thanks all for input. Love this forum.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you guys clamp the nori strip to the vegi clip, to keep it from falling apart what method do you have the best luck, in a roll like a cigar or folded once, twice, three times etc ?

I have been using the Innovative Marine Gourmet Grazer and it works great for keeping seaweed together. It is pricey, but allows my CUC to easily enjoy it. Have seen shrimp, hermits and Cerith grazing on it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back