Types, Brands Of Seaweed At Asian Food Stores ?

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't buy kelp! They don't eat it ;Hilarious I can vouch with firsthand experience.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
READ,,,,,,READ ......... READ packaging. Should be pure Nori. No Oil, no additives- Just nori. Im always reluctant on nori, so I bite the bullet and pay for ocean nutrition or Julian sprung brand

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using this brand for the last 10 years and my fish go crazy for it. It's just dried seaweed uncooked. 50 large sheets for About $8.
IMG_6544.JPG

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the Innovative Marine Gourmet Grazer and it works great for keeping seaweed together. It is pricey, but allows my CUC to easily enjoy it. Have seen shrimp, hermits and Cerith grazing on it.

I watched a youtube video on them. It looks like the holes are small, so fish with larger mouth, how do they pull out the nori ?

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched a youtube video on them. It looks like the holes are small, so fish with larger mouth, how do they pull out the nori ?

I have the IM Gourmet Grazer too. The holes are around 1/2" wide and almost 1/2" tall. Plenty of space for large mouth fish to get to the nori. What the gourmet grazer does well is press and hold the nori together against the hard backing of the grazer, making it a little harder to pull the entire sheet out through the hole (as opposed to the TLF pouch). It slows my fish down a little, but they still manage to decimate the nori within a few minutes.

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seaweed is one of those products where you truly "get what you pay for." Seaweed is traded on the international market and graded/priced based on harvest region, palatability, vibrance and imperfections. Different varieties can also have differing nutritional profiles. Typically seaweed is sourced from various waters around Japan, Korea and I believe China. When we source seaweed we located a vendor who imports seaweed to the US from certified waters in Japan. The seaweed is tested to be free from over 400 contaminants, including metals and radiation. It certainly does cost more than some of the bulk deals that can be found on generic seaweed. However as far as palatability and nutritional quality users report there are noticeable benefits. For instance the sheet seaweed we offer was used by the Oceanic Institute of Hawaii to feed the yellow broodstock for their captive breeding project. If you can get your fish eating bulk seaweed than by all means don't fix what isn't broke. However, if you want to fatten up your fish or you have a finicky feeder you can learn more about our seaweed here: http://www.larrysreefservices.com/nori.html It is an incredibly popular product and frequently sells out at a rate faster than we can keep packaged.

IMG_3619.jpg

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'll get one. I like hand feeding my fish so they get used to me, not only feeding, but cleaning the tank. But this feeder looks great for slow feeding. The price isn't bad.

Do you guys have the frozen feeder ?

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'll get one. I like hand feeding my fish so they get used to me, not only feeding, but cleaning the tank. But this feeder looks great for slow feeding. The price isn't bad.

Do you guys have the frozen feeder ?

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seaweed is one of those products where you truly "get what you pay for." Seaweed is traded on the international market and graded/priced based on harvest region, palatability, vibrance and imperfections. Different varieties can also have differing nutritional profiles. Typically seaweed is sourced from various waters around Japan, Korea and I believe China. When we source seaweed we located a vendor who imports seaweed to the US from certified waters in Japan. The seaweed is tested to be free from over 400 contaminants, including metals and radiation. It certainly does cost more than some of the bulk deals that can be found on generic seaweed. However as far as palatability and nutritional quality users report there are noticeable benefits. For instance the sheet seaweed we offer was used by the Oceanic Institute of Hawaii to feed the yellow broodstock for their captive breeding project. If you can get your fish eating bulk seaweed than by all means don't fix what isn't broke. However, if you want to fatten up your fish or you have a finicky feeder you can learn more about our seaweed here: http://www.larrysreefservices.com/nori.html It is an incredibly popular product and frequently sells out at a rate faster than we can keep packaged.

IMG_3619.jpg
Thanks for trying to sell overpriced nori, but no thanks.

TessGlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_3619.jpg
Thank you for this information, for sure going to try some LRS seaweed.

I've been using the type pictured below, I look for packages that are dried, not roasted, because I don't know if roasting does something to the nutritional content, I've seen it roasted in person and it certainly cooks it because it's placed directly on the flame. Also, it lists only ingredient as seaweed. Interestingly, this type, similar to mention by LRS, is from Japan and sorted from high grade.

P_20180921_110211.jpg

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_3619.jpg

Hi Larry, love,....your foods !
With your package, how many sheets do we get and at what price ?

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Larry, love,....your foods !
With your package, how many sheets do we get and at what price ?

Thanks! The seaweed is packaged by weight so one pack is one ounce which is about 22 sheets. Typically it retails for about $7.99 in stores. I would encourage anyone to call around and price bulk seaweed with importers and you will find wide swings in price. Korean "nori" typically is much less than the premium "nori" sourced for higher end asian restaurants. A simple side by side comparisons of palatability, vibrance and thickness says it all. Like I said in the OP if your fish are happy on the cheap stuff, don't fix what isn't broke. You can search our dealer network here: http://www.larrysreefservices.com/where-to-buy-lrs.html

Thanks and have a great weekend!

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! The seaweed is packaged by weight so one pack is one ounce which is about 22 sheets. Typically it retails for about $7.99 in stores. I would encourage anyone to call around and price bulk seaweed with importers and you will find wide swings in price. Korean "nori" typically is much less than the premium "nori" sourced for higher end asian restaurants. A simple side by side comparisons of palatability, vibrance and thickness says it all. Like I said in the OP if your fish are happy on the cheap stuff, don't fix what isn't broke. You can search our dealer network here: http://www.larrysreefservices.com/where-to-buy-lrs.html

Thanks and have a great weekend!

You too !

Last edited:
OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the seaweed collected, dried etc ?

How is it roasted ?
Is it done for human flavor ?

Salt1823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy my nori at Kroger for $3 it's USDA organic and nothing but seaweed. Little Jasmine is the brand 10 huge sheets or .88 oz.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back