Tyree Pink Lemonade color?

Bones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nice size frag of TPL that I have had in my tank for about 2 months. Its
doing great and encrusting nicely but it has turned bright green with more reddish tips. It doesn't have any yellow to it at all. I'm wondering if after it encrusts a bit more will the new growth tips be yellow? I was really hoping for the bright yellow colors it's know for. I have it at the highest point in my tank giving it as much light as I can. I have close to 20 different acros in the same tank and there colors seem fine.

Tank: 29g rimless BC (Running 6 months)

light: AI prime Led

Flow: MJ 1200 for return, Tunze Turbelle 6025 & Wp25 for power heads.

Filtration: Tunze DOC 9001 & IM desktop reactor (GFO), Tunze ATO

Water Levels: ESV salt 5g water change every 10 days.

KH= 9.6
Ca= 420
Mg= 1300
PO4= .03
PH= 8.0
Sal=1.025
Temp=76.5 - 78

Dosing: manual daily
B ionic Calcium 4ml
B ionic Alkalinity 3ml
ESV Magnesium 2ml (every 3 days/as needed)
Acro Power .7ml

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Traditionally corals turning more green indicates not enough light. Can you move it a bit higher?

OP
OP
B

Bones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's at its highest point but I'm still working on ramping the light up to max power.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have the same frag under Hydra 52, same ATO, wave maker and skimmer.

I dose kalk in the ATO, acropower weekly, reef roids. Alk 8.5, Ca 450, Mag 1450, 80F and SG 1.025.

Mine also has a green base, BUT I am slowly acclimating to the LED, I will move it up in another month or so, makes sure nitrates and phosphates are in line. Yellow is harder to maintain in my experience. I am pretty confident with time and the right chemistry and lighting mine will loose more green.

My frag came in pretty green, growth is good, PE exceptional, it's a slow journey.

HTH

FoD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is under an ATI 8 lamp T5 roughly 11" from the light (6" under water). It is yellow yellow, with blue rim, and red/pink polyps.

I believe you need more light.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all PL turn yellow.
There was a long thread on here about the PL.
Conclusion was from most of who has it that there are a few varieties of PL going around.
Same as the SSC, not all turn out to be the same.
I thought I bought a legit Tyree PL but it turns out when I got another legit from a well know sponsor on here that the first wasn't a Tyree.
Stayed light green with reddish tips/polyps.
My second turned nice yellow with pink tips/polyps, both were at the same level and had same flow and PAR.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought mine from a very well known sponsor on here it better be a Tyree Pink Lemonade. I have had it about 4 months, but my tank is young and it's not as high in the tank as it needs to be to eventually.

big blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems that mine turns highlighter green where the new growth is but goes yellow as time goes on also when it was first encrusting it looked very green.

OP
OP
B

Bones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the comments guys. I'm 100% on the Leniage of this particular coral. I'm thinking it may change as it grows.

itche_scratche

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved mine multiple time here what i noticed. Low light turn more green. Medium light good yellow. Hi light yellow brown red.

rovster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will definitely go green in high nutrients or low light. When I was having nutrient issues I was jokingly calling mine lime Gatorade...

Anyway, mine is ver happy now and growing. The base stays more green while the branches are more yellow. I sat more yellow because if you are a purist technically it has a hint a green but it's more yellow than green for sure now. Under actinic it's blindingly yellow.

Here is s pic from a couple months ago. It has continued to grow since then and the tips are more yellow. You can see how the center stays more green. It's also near the bottom of my tank so that may be at play for mine as well...

Moonlightreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is my TPL frag . Right after i moved it to more light it start to turn yellow and also getting pink polyps . This is only a week of more light , i would say its getting around 400par under LEDs .

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1436124851.167757.jpg

Fattytuna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your phosphate levels. Mine was at 0 and I was told it was bad. I quickly got rid of my bio pellet reactor and built up my phosphates and all my spa starting to get their color back. The bio pellet reactor was making the water too clean.

OP
OP
B

Bones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your phosphate levels. Mine was at 0 and I was told it was bad. I quickly got rid of my bio pellet reactor and built up my phosphates and all my spa starting to get their color back. The bio pellet reactor was making the water too clean.

I run my PO4 between .01-.03 currently. I used to always keep my tanks at zero for both PO4 and NO3 but I'm a firm believer that small amounts of both are better for coloration in acropora.

Moonlightreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is an update picture after getting more light , nothing has changed in the chemistry. sorry for the phone picture
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1437805773.003876.jpg

cthedaytrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pink lemonade will turn more green when you either dose some form of iodine, when you have a higher iodine level, or if you have increases in iodine. That has been my experience with it. When my iodine has been on the lower side it is yellow, and when I dosed lugols it got very green. You will find that this can happen with yellow corals in general, and when you run something like zeovit, you can see it even more, since you have the ability to really tweak your system.

rovster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine started as this...actually smaller than this no branch frag just a dime sized encrustation, this was when I transferred to my current tank...

A month ago....

If you saw it today it would be more a pale yellow base because I'm having trouble keeping my nutrients up and I increased my lighting intensity a week ago....

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 178 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back