Ugghhhhh

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I took a trip down to my favorite coral shop this morning. Picked up a couple beautiful hammer frags as well as a toadstool frag. While I was there I decided to grab a few emerald crabs to help combat the algae I am now seeing in my tanks. Well, I am happy to report that the coral frags are healthy and magnificent! The crab however, is starting to annoy me. I have not glued down any of the coral plugs I have in my tank as I am not 100% sure if I have correct placement yet. This is a good idea on the surface, but unfortunately, the crab never got that memo. he is tossing aside coral frags like gum wrappers!!! I don't mind closed up corals due to him picking all the algae off of them.. but I feel like I am cleaning up after a 2 year old.. constantly having to replace the coral frags where they go after finding them on the floor... (at least I don't step on them in the night)...

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's annoying for sure. I have a single blue tip that fills out a Mexican turbo shell and then some and he is the sumo wrestling extrodinare of the tank. To combat this I either epoxy the frag plug to the rock temporarily or use a frag rack.
20201222_205826.jpg

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the hammers I got today.. They are hybrids so don't bash me cause they don't have the usual hammer shape. Also, these pics were taken after they just began to open up. I wish the camera could capture their true beauty... I absolutely love watching them sway in the flow.

IMG_0698.JPG
IMG_0700.JPG

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Urchins are quite happy to wear your frags as hats. So it could be worse lol.
Mine was wearing a Kenya Tree the other day.
OP - I feel your pain as well. Emerald crabs can be a pain. I guess be happy they’re only eating the algae on your frags and not eating the frags themselves? :( I would also recommend a frag rack for now but I know that’s not totally helping you decide where to place them.

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was wearing a Kenya Tree the other day.
OP - I feel your pain as well. Emerald crabs can be a pain. I guess be happy they’re only eating the algae on your frags and not eating the frags themselves? :( I would also recommend a frag rack for now but I know that’s not totally helping you decide where to place them.
That's hilarious.. I would have loved to see that!!!

Yes, you are right.. I am happy they are not eating the corals themselves.

Let me preface this by saying that This tank is very young, and by young I mean YOUNG!! I set it up on Friday the 7th. I did jumpstart the cycle process by using rocks and water from my 55g tank. I also squeezed out the sponges from my canister filter into the water I used for this 32g tank. So I pretty much was ready for fish and corals from day 1.. In fact, I added my first fish on day 2 (pair of beautiful clowns I had bought specifically for this tank a week or so before I actually got it)

For anyone considering doing this for themselves, be aware. If you have Dinos or Cyano in your existing tank, you will have them Immediately in the new one. You get the good AND the bad...

That said. I have a beautiful biocube 32 up and running. I have 2 clowns, a pajama cardinal, a diamondback goby, skunk cleaner shrimp, 14 various corals and an ornery emerald crab..

IMG_0691.JPG

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchins are quite happy to wear your frags as hats. So it could be worse lol.

I had a pincushion that would move anything that wasn't bolted down. It would even grab newly added frags before the glue had fully hardened. I had to trade him in over creative differences.

Back