Ugh. Need to Vent!

IanMauger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say, I absolutely hate FedEx. (If you are an employee, don’t take it personally). So I ordered a bunch of nice corals which was a birthday present from my kids... They were shipped Monday, to be overnighted for delivery Tuesday morning, by 1030am. 1030am comes and goes, I’m getting concerned check my tracking, it says “in transit” at Memphis TN. Mind you, I ordered these from NY, I live in PA, problem is we are at opposite sides of the respected states, so driving was a no go.

So I’m thinking, well, I know they sometimes miss scans, I’m concerned but not worried yet. Come 1230pm, I’m worried now. Call them and they said the last scan was from Memphis. 430pm comes, my Worry becomes anger after I check the tracking again. Oh it updated, “Departed Memphis Sort Facility” at 3:59pm. My anger becomes rage. So I call again, they said it’s heading to Newark NJ.... I’m thinking, hey since this is First Priority Overnight MAYBE they will Be late in the evening. (Wishful thinking.) check status again, “Arrived at Newark sort facility” 6:50pm.... I’m beyond angry.

I called up and ripped apart the “customer advocate” I told them it isn’t their fault, but it’s company. They told me, my package didn’t make the cargo plane because it was full..... full... my package was 4lbs, and a 12x12x9 box. I said, “normally I wouldn’t be so angry, but this isn’t an iPhone X that I am crying about because I didn’t get to play with my new phone, these are living creatures, the box clearly says “perishable Live marine life”. They don’t care, kept saying sorry. Needless to say, it never came yesterday.

So today, I look when got up, 848am out for delivery. I’m thinking these better get here ASAP we are approaching 40 hours, NOPE! The fedex truck shows up at 3pm.... basically everything is dead. 48hrs in bags, dead, because they couldn’t do their job. No one seemed to care they were living, nor did anyone do anything to help me. Luckily I will get these replaced, but that’s not the point. These corals didn’t have to and shouldn’t have had to die because a company whose motto is “The world on time” wasn’t on time, wasn’t even close.....

Sorry I just had to vent!

OP
OP
IanMauger

IanMauger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is frustrating...life lost for no good reason.
Yup... it’s sad. I guess some people just see corals and such not really living like a dog or cat. Sorry, but I think we all do. It’s a shame, because it shouldn’t have happened.

Btw, nice avatar! Go Bucks! Can’t wait for Saturday!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup... it’s sad. I guess some people just see corals and such not really living like a dog or cat. Sorry, but I think we all do. It’s a shame, because it shouldn’t have happened.

Btw, nice avatar! Go Bucks! Can’t wait for Saturday!
Yes, it's always a good day/year after Ohio State whips on that pre-school up North!

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Retailers should not ship livestock overnight during the holidays. Even overnight priority packages are subject to delays, and of course since they're super busy during this time of year, more mistakes can happen.

Coralline Clothing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That really sucks. I would be livid. There is no reason something like that should have happened.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens. It's not the end of the world, well for the corals it is. It sucks though I feel your pain, I'm lucky to have many options in my area to buy live stock so I don't have to order from websites. If it's something I really like and none of my lfs have it then I will get those from a coral vendor. I've ordered corals from on line vendors a couple of times and fed ex and ups have both been on time.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that happened. I’ve found having the package sent to a local FedEx store is a better option. They tend to arrive earlier in the day and they are in a temperature controlled building. I’ve had early morning deliveries arrive at the end of the day too. Where is my refund on the extra shipping fees?

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twice I’ve had my PlayStation need repairs. Now my “local” Fed Ex office( who is who I have to send through cause that’s who they choose....) is three towns out. That’s about 40 miles. That’s also where no one likes to drive, and since I can’t drive it makes gettin there near impossible. So anyhow, first time I sent back, and they sent the new unit, tracking said such and such day It sat in my local fed ex office for three days cause it was ground and only guaranteed to be delivered on that day. Early delivery was out of the question. So this last time, tracking updated saying it was at the office, and that it was due that day. I called, since I had things to do. I was promised delivery that day. The six o clock window came and went and no package. So I called. I explained I couldn’t wait all day and was lied to and all that. I get the excuse that again, it’s ground and guaranteed delivery wasn’t even that day. I hate them. I will never voluntarily shop with them and if I need to resend my system I’ll beg Sony to go ups. Here’s some pics of my tracking so you guys can have the same confusion I had lol.
E2C1BB8D-5D74-428A-82E5-22211E4A80AE.png 7F2BB258-4547-4024-BE43-9C0E6963539F.png 51C13081-5CF4-4F74-89D6-FA1B22B221C6.png

OP
OP
IanMauger

IanMauger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens. It's not the end of the world, well for the corals it is. It sucks though I feel your pain, I'm lucky to have many options in my area to buy live stock so I don't have to order from websites. If it's something I really like and none of my lfs have it then I will get those from a coral vendor. I've ordered corals from on line vendors a couple of times and fed ex and ups have both been on time.

Oh of course it’s bound to happen at some point. As nothing is 100% perfect, I guess my anger really came from the perceived lack of understanding on their end and probably my own bias. I mean, they see the box that says “Perishable” and “Live Marine Animals” on it as well as the highest tier overnight shipping. If it was for example a FedEx truck getting into God forbid an accident I could understand, but it wasn’t. They literally told me the cargo plane was full so it had to wait, again, my bias comes in because I care about corals as a living creature, maybe they just didn’t see it that way.

I wish I had Reef stores near me :( I live in a very rural part of Northeast PA, there is nothing around that sells quality marine life.

OP
OP
IanMauger

IanMauger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twice I’ve had my PlayStation need repairs. Now my “local” Fed Ex office( who is who I have to send through cause that’s who they choose....) is three towns out. That’s about 40 miles. That’s also where no one likes to drive, and since I can’t drive it makes gettin there near impossible. So anyhow, first time I sent back, and they sent the new unit, tracking said such and such day It sat in my local fed ex office for three days cause it was ground and only guaranteed to be delivered on that day. Early delivery was out of the question. So this last time, tracking updated saying it was at the office, and that it was due that day. I called, since I had things to do. I was promised delivery that day. The six o clock window came and went and no package. So I called. I explained I couldn’t wait all day and was lied to and all that. I get the excuse that again, it’s ground and guaranteed delivery wasn’t even that day. I hate them. I will never voluntarily shop with them and if I need to resend my system I’ll beg Sony to go ups. Here’s some pics of my tracking so you guys can have the same confusion I had lol.
E2C1BB8D-5D74-428A-82E5-22211E4A80AE.png 7F2BB258-4547-4024-BE43-9C0E6963539F.png 51C13081-5CF4-4F74-89D6-FA1B22B221C6.png
It looks to me like it never left the sort facility. :(

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked for UPS for 16 years. The care level has gone way down. People I worked with that also worked at FedEx for a 2nd par time job said it is even worse over there. I will be straight up honest and say they take more than they can handle. Say our building could handle 70,000 packages in one 4hr shift. Well that does not stop the managers, flow, or anything else that needs to be mentioned to push 110,000-140,000 during the Christmas holiday time. In a way they "the workers" are doing over what you expect from them. Actually 2x of what you are venting about. So there is a 50/50 chance your package will have a very hard time making it on time. 1st day air or overnight gets handled actually really great. They do not even make it to the main belts 95% of the time. If it is. It will be picked off by scanners, the sort isle or pickoffs that sort above the loading area. They will be brought to an area with a Brownie truck or FedEx truck and it will leave at a certain deadline to make it to the airport. A plane does not wait. You can not hold up a scheduled flight. I have seen sups jump in their own personal vehicle in hopes to make it to the airport. Even it having a 1% chance of making it to the plane. The plane is only allowed to hold so much weight. Even if it is 1lb more. At these times. It gets packed fast. So what they said is 100% true.
I will say sorry to hear about your kids not getting their presents. Just next time don't order online. You will never know what a package goes through in just one building unless you work there. Never mind 2 or 10. So I would not be surprised if it showed up DOA either way. Especially if it was a very sensitive coral to stress. Which they all are, because it is an animal someone wanted shipped in a box. So no offense I hope is taken by saying the truth. The people that move the boxes do not look at fragile, live animal, or needs to be refrigerated. They only look at scanning labels, weight, hazardous, 1ST, 2nd, or 3rd day.

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never buy and have corals shipped around holidays. In theory they should be delivered on time but the reality is they probably won’t. Have them hold your order till after the holiday passes.

Sgchick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with 40B Nasty....the care level has gone way down with Fedex.....not on my route, though :) I have been with Fedex on the same route for 21 years and still love my job. A lot depends on your courier once your package gets to the station. Not much we can do when the package doesn't make the plane (ridiculous in your situation IanMauger), weather, etc. My customers get top notch service from me, but I'm old school and still take pride in my job. Many of my customers have my personal cell phone number. :) I've delivered packages in my car on the way home...especially during the holidays....So sorry Ian that you lost your corals and I hope they were insured?

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with 40B Nasty....the care level has gone way down with Fedex.....not on my route, though :) I have been with Fedex on the same route for 21 years and still love my job. A lot depends on your courier once your package gets to the station. Not much we can do when the package doesn't make the plane (ridiculous in your situation IanMauger), weather, etc. My customers get top notch service from me, but I'm old school and still take pride in my job. Many of my customers have my personal cell phone number. :) I've delivered packages in my car on the way home...especially during the holidays....So sorry Ian that you lost your corals and I hope they were insured?

Thought you guys don't insure live animals?

Sipec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah, about a week ago a random fedex truck came to my house and dropped off a random persons packages, funny thing is is it wasn’t even addressed to the town i live in

Gary67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say, I absolutely hate FedEx. (If you are an employee, don’t take it personally). So I ordered a bunch of nice corals which was a birthday present from my kids... They were shipped Monday, to be overnighted for delivery Tuesday morning, by 1030am. 1030am comes and goes, I’m getting concerned check my tracking, it says “in transit” at Memphis TN. Mind you, I ordered these from NY, I live in PA, problem is we are at opposite sides of the respected states, so driving was a no go.

So I’m thinking, well, I know they sometimes miss scans, I’m concerned but not worried yet. Come 1230pm, I’m worried now. Call them and they said the last scan was from Memphis. 430pm comes, my Worry becomes anger after I check the tracking again. Oh it updated, “Departed Memphis Sort Facility” at 3:59pm. My anger becomes rage. So I call again, they said it’s heading to Newark NJ.... I’m thinking, hey since this is First Priority Overnight MAYBE they will Be late in the evening. (Wishful thinking.) check status again, “Arrived at Newark sort facility” 6:50pm.... I’m beyond angry.

I called up and ripped apart the “customer advocate” I told them it isn’t their fault, but it’s company. They told me, my package didn’t make the cargo plane because it was full..... full... my package was 4lbs, and a 12x12x9 box. I said, “normally I wouldn’t be so angry, but this isn’t an iPhone X that I am crying about because I didn’t get to play with my new phone, these are living creatures, the box clearly says “perishable Live marine life”. They don’t care, kept saying sorry. Needless to say, it never came yesterday.

So today, I look when got up, 848am out for delivery. I’m thinking these better get here ASAP we are approaching 40 hours, NOPE! The fedex truck shows up at 3pm.... basically everything is dead. 48hrs in bags, dead, because they couldn’t do their job. No one seemed to care they were living, nor did anyone do anything to help me. Luckily I will get these replaced, but that’s not the point. These corals didn’t have to and shouldn’t have had to die because a company whose motto is “The world on time” wasn’t on time, wasn’t even close.....

Sorry I just had to vent!
they did the same with me UPS service supposed to be there by 12pm they emptied the truck no package how can you say thaat it was shipped i have it on my computer thhen they said thhe hole truck was empty then they said they will send it back to where it came from how can you send something back to the owner if you said you didn't have it i have more stories just like that one BTW i received the package thhat night around 10 pm sad very sad

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back