Uglies phase action

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's common to have algae problems in young tanks, I have seen varying opinions on how to handle the outbreaks from leaving at alone to grow out to actively removing it as soon as you see it, or some saying just to add CUC and let them slowly work at it.

Where do you all stand generally on this? Let it grow and take care of itself? Get in there and rip every inch of it off? Just add CUC?

What action do you recommend?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get something that eats it if possible and then dose competition such as phyto or bacteria. I make sure to keep phosphate at a minemum

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn off lights or photoperiod reduction.
CUC do not do much for the uglies, if the tank is young a CUC might starve.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
always have one or two rocks that you keep totally compliant, thats the key. let the rest roll if you choose :) so the key is knowing about your tank's presentation and invader characters, before they're so strong you cannot undo any aspect of them if you wanted to (30% of all uglies-phase permitters do not come back to clean, says nuisance algae forum running right now)

there's a continuum to inspect: full on rip everything clean obsessively, do nothing and allow the uglies to manifest as they will, or the middle ground. Be controlling one or two rocks totally, so you know what works in case it all starts to let loose. if your other rocks stay balanced, and only two took all your work, then you are better off. never allow totally uncontrolled uglies phase, even if people tell you their tanks subsided...they're the 30% not posting for algae help. they cannot advise that yours will subside as well, so we should be test modeling a small portion. seems the only safe mode and all else is total risk.

this is excellent pre planning by the way, garner varied opinions before a start. more should be done this way.

Glott3133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a newbie, one of the things I've learned in this hobby is patience. So I don't do much to clear up the uglies, except I did purchase a pretty descent clean up crew. My tank after 4 months is pretty clear with white sand again.

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a ton of opinions on this. When I was asking around on how to combat the algae, a lot of folks said "keep Nitrate and Phosphate as low as possible." In doing this, I stripped my tank of nutrients and invited the dinos into my tank. So 1st, I'd say make sure you have some nutrients in your tank. You'll want a balance of P04 and N03. Have you been testing those?

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go with a mix of what Brandon429 mentioned and a clean up crew.
How much of a crew? Go slow. Add animals you like. They each have there pros/cons.

IMO, it is possible to set up a tank and skip the uglies and keep algae to a minimum.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back