Ugly stage

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey can you post a pic of the tank in the uglies, we've all been there.

there are some amazing physical cheats that can be done to make it look great, much faster than using dosed scrubbing bac. pics show if some cleaning cheats are avail and useful here based on layout and details in pic

for xample with a pic we can determine if the current light intensity is required or something to be attained next year, that can help tremendously. there are nine other tricks in addition lol

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

there are some amazing physical cheats that can be done to make it look great, much faster than using dosed scrubbing bac. pics show if some cleaning cheats are avail and useful here based on layout and details in pic

for xample with a pic we can determine if the current light intensity is required or something to be attained next year, that can help tremendously. there are nine other tricks in addition lol
Do tell Brandon, do tell. :)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we all know this leads to a rip clean, im merely looking for ways to justify it. gimme em pics

if the tank is huge we'll forego it. if its a nano then we'll champion the six recent nanos we booted back into shape as links to copy
I have no new tricks.

OP
OP
chrisgold

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just loads of algae on the rocks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 71
OP
OP
chrisgold

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we all know this leads to a rip clean, im merely looking for ways to justify it. gimme em pics

if the tank is huge we'll forego it. if its a nano then we'll champion the six recent nanos we booted back into shape as links to copy
I have no new tricks.
Whats a rip clean?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey how many gallons is this tank

Check this guy's 30 we transformed:

gotta admit we have a tank on file already fixed to match any work job needed. Power man cleaning should be considered for all accessible reefs. Does not harm a cycle or set one back. Causes awesomeness

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
how many water changes a week should i do through the ugly stage ?
You dont have to do any but if appearance is an issue, start with blowing with a turkey baster. Once loosened, siphon. In most cases, you are dealing with diatoms. Diatoms are a brown algae that typically appear in a reef tank that has just completed its cycle but they can also appear in an established reef tank. They can cover sand, rock, pumps, glass, you name it. Diatoms look ugly but in most cases they are harmless so the key is to not panic when they appear.
Diatoms feed mainly off of silicates but also consume dissolved organic compounds, phosphate and nitrates. Unfiltered tap water can contain silicates and is a good way to jump start a bloom if you use it to mix salt or to replace water that evaporated from the tank. The best way to prevent this from happening is to filter water through a RODI unit , although you can still get a diatom bloom when using RODI if the cartridge that removes silicates expires.
diatoms are typically harmless to a captive reef and can be beaten once their food source expires. Once you put the kibosh on the source, the outbreak should last a couple of weeks so just be patient and it will pass. For major outbreaks you may want to consider the three day blackout. Diatoms are easily wiped from the glass with a mag float, a turkey baster or a toothbrush can access other areas of the tank. Be prepared for them to re-establish themselves quickly, they are likely to be able to resettle and have exponential growth rates.
To prevent their return, practice good aquarium husbandry by doing regular water changes, keep the substrate clean, don’t overfeed the fish, ensure your skimmer is running at an optimal level and rinse out filter socks and sponges on a regular basis.
Some cleaner crew to help control it are : Cerith snails, Nerite snails and Trochus snails and also Astraea snails are effective at removing diatoms.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah i just doed 30 ml on fri and been doing 5ml per day since with skimmer and uv off for 4 hours after

ok, ya just follow the directions and stick to the weekly wc.
I think, if I remember correctly, we have the same 20g cube?
I just add 3 capfuls of it after weekly 15% water change. I don't have a skimmer or UV

OP
OP
chrisgold

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey how many gallons is this tank

Check this guy's 30 we transformed:

gotta admit we have a tank on file already fixed to match any work job needed. Power man cleaning should be considered for all accessible reefs. Does not harm a cycle or set one back. Causes awesomeness
Yeah mines a 30 gal aswell il post a pic with lights on

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 74

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those are the two top rip cleans and at a mere 5 pages its not a scary read like our six hour, fifty page collection of the exact same outcomes.

pros and cons from rip cleans:

cons-takes lots of work

pros, them after pics.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back