Uh oh... ich outbreak D:

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only UV sterilizers we have here are the AquaUV ones no pentair, the 25W and 57W are the size same and the 40W is way longer, dunno why they designed it like that,

is yours mounted vertically?
Mine is mounted horizonally, only because it fit better tthat way. I went with an inexpensive Jebaeo model off of Amazon.

BiggestE22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday I noticed some very tiny white spots (very few) too on my blue-throat trigger, today it has gotten more visible so I'm getting worried

This is my first time dealing with marine ich, I have dealt with FW ich before, just through some meds in lol, but can't do that with sw.
yes, it is a reef tank, there aren't a lot of corals though.

I have a purple tang, a blue-eye tang, foxface Lo and a volitans lionfish along with the trigger and a couple of cerith and trochus snails.
None of the other fish have shown any signs of ich.

The trigger is pretty new, (added just on sunday.) and has been very timid, all the other fish outcompete it for food, although it is eating some.
Purple tang also doesn't like it very much although the bullying isn't much so I wasn't worried.

All my other fish Ive had for 1-2+ months respectively already.

No I dont QT although I should.

I really don't feel like doing a 72 day fallow period, is it really necessary?

I have looked into PolypLab's medic and there are so many mixed reviews on it I don't know if its worth it or not.

The tank is a 220gallon(ish) tank, a pretty new one too.

So what should I do? I love my fish very much and would hate to lose them :(
Would a UV sterilizer worth it? I'm willing to spend the money if it'll work.

If so how should I plumb it?

Any advice would be appreciated
I don’t have a QT either. I have 3 fish. Will not buy another till I get a QT. Had all 3 for 4+ months. Once I had to treat Regal Tang for black ich I learned my lesson. Too much stress.

BiggestE22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real QT is a lot of work. In its purest form every single wet living thing must pass through the protocol. It was too much for me. My 120 display has had ich pretty much since inception 8 years ago because I never chose to go fallow.

There is a health cost you will likely face from time to time. Every couple of years I will get an outbreak caused by something like:
a) a temperature event when the A/C quit in Summer
b) the addition of a fish or two that upset the balance of power
c) a toxic spike when removing chrysophytes

My outbreaks tend to go like this:
One in four or one in five fish will show ich -- which always include the PBT and most tangs. & the angel.
Of those four or five fish, 2 to three may pass away. :(
Within a few weeks, the rest recover.
Not sure I could deal with that. I love my corals but my fish are my pets. I feel it’s my responsibility to take care of them and losing them would be a big failure to me.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I could deal with that. I love my corals but my fish are my pets. I feel it’s my responsibility to take care of them and losing them would be a big failure to me.
I try not to judge on this heavy trade of QT work (which is pretty involving if done right) versus the @Paul B approach of nutrition and husbandry to build immunity. I still have some fish from the very beginning 12+ years ago. It seems to be the "new additions" some times a year later that succumb. A generalization.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back